The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How powerful did Luke become?

Macetheace

The one factor that i think most people dont incorporate is that Luke goes on to rebuild the jedi order, however he actually changes the training. As seen in ROTJ, luke believes that one can use passion to fight as long as they can harness the power for good and tame it rather than letting it run rampant and out of control. One example of how he changes the Jedi order is that he allows marriage, which was a major no no and has a strong correlation to compassion and attachment, however it must be controlled. This is why i believe Luke was such a powerful jedi. He was good yet maintained the ability to fight with passion and anger without letting it consume him. It is the only possible explanation for how he was able to become so strong in such a short period of time.

Not being a fanboy, but in the Revan novel it is stated that Revan had similar beliefs that positive emotions fuel the light side

Well Vader had 50% of his full power due to being 50% cybernetic - that's actual a number from Lucas himself so it's canon.

So In 3 years Luke apparently achieved 50% or so of his full potential.

Anakin had the potential to be 200% as powerful as Darth Sidious, but as Vader he only reached 80%, his son Luke achieved that potential in his place, that is from Lucas' mouth.

Anakin had the potential to be 200% as powerful as Darth Sidious, but as Vader he only reached 80%, his son Luke achieved that potential in his place, that is from Lucas' mouth.

Question on semantics.

I thought the quote was that Luke was double Vader ie Luke was 160% of Darth Sidious?

Made sense to me that Luke wouldn't be the 200% of Darth Sidious that Anakin was as Luke had a more "natural" conception but I'm asking because I don't know.

Gonna put it like this:

As I've seen, Force-wise

Vader= 1.5x ROTJ Luke

Grand Master Luke= 3x-4x Vader (Come on, the guy was insanely powerful)

Ben Skywalker= Roughly .5x Grand Master Luke

However,

Cadeus/Jacen= 1.5x Post- Star by Star Luke

Anakin (Solo)= 2x Jacen, but he dies killing those Force-hound things.

Pre-Cadeus Jaina= Vader

Jaina (during/after the Cadeus bit)= 3x Vader

Leia= Vader (her kids, grandkids, and nephew are more powerful than her, but she's nothing to sneeze at)

I have always believed there was no way Luke was powerful enough (had enough adequate training) to be able to take on the emperor and vader single handedly. In terms of training, he had the initial training by Obi-Wan which only lasted a few days. Then he had about 3 years to train himself between ANH and ESB, demonstrated by his use of the force to pull his lightsaber towards him. Then he trains with yoda for about 6 weeks on dagobah where he learns the ESSENTIALS of being a jedi. given he has a very powerful connection to the force it is not surprising once he has learned the basics and trains himself between ESB and RTOJ and learns on his own, ie building his own lightsaber, he definitely has the capability of putting up a fight. In fact some might say that teaching himself was actually a better way to learn. The one factor that i think most people dont incorporate is that Luke goes on to rebuild the jedi order, however he actually changes the training. As seen in ROTJ, luke believes that one can use passion to fight as long as they can harness the power for good and tame it rather than letting it run rampant and out of control. One example of how he changes the Jedi order is that he allows marriage, which was a major no no and has a strong correlation to compassion and attachment, however it must be controlled. This is why i believe Luke was such a powerful jedi. He was good yet maintained the ability to fight with passion and anger without letting it consume him. It is the only possible explanation for how he was able to become so strong in such a short period of time.

I hate to point this out BUT:

#1 - you say Luke trained with Yoda for six weeks. How do you come to that conclusion? The only indication of time passage is the time it takes the Falcon without hyperdrive to get from Hoth to Bespin. It could be six weeks, or six months. Like most SciFi travel through space is notoriously vague. Do you really think it only took the Falcon and handful of minutes to go from Tattooine to Alderaan in ANH? Do you really think that in that handful of minutes Obi-wan taught Luke the basics of lightsaber technique?

#2 - Have you played the JK story in this game yet? In that story you learn that the Jedi Order wavers on marriage a LOT. The primary determining factor is the number of Jedi. If numbers are low, then marriage and procreation are actually encouraged because the coupling of two force users is likely to produce a force sensitive child. If the numbers are high, then marriage is frowned upon but not forbidden. I would say that between SWTOR and the PT, several thousand years of Jedi prosperity, the interpretations evolved into not allowing relationships but only because the Jedi numbers were VERY high and consistently so. Moving on to the post-RotJ EU, Luke rightly encouraged marriage and procreation to increase the numbers of force users.

#3 - Luke turns to the darkside to defeat Vader. If he hadn't realized the two of them had come full circle (Vader cut off Luke's hand, Luke cut off Vader's hand), the Emperor probably would have won and replaced Anakin with his son. Just because Luke comes back from the brink does not mean he espouses using the darkside.

#3 - Luke turns to the darkside to defeat Vader. If he hadn't realized the two of them had come full circle (Vader cut off Luke's hand, Luke cut off Vader's hand), the Emperor probably would have won and replaced Anakin with his son. Just because Luke comes back from the brink does not mean he espouses using the darkside.

Not really, he touches the Darkside briefly, through his anger, but to turn to the Darkside it has to be sustained or intermittantly over a lond period. Luke didn't do this, he briefly lost control, and was disturbed by how easily the anger flowed, over the following years he gained full control over his temper, until ironically the Returned Emperor turned to the Darkside via his compassion.

There is not much to discuss about Luke un the EU. He sucks in the movies and they magically transformed him into a living god. I don't know if I am the only one who hates what he has become, but I hate it. He's just OP Edited by crazysam

There is not much to discuss about Luke un the EU. He sucks in the movies and they magically transformed him into a living god. I don't know if I am the only one who hates what he has become, but I hate it. He's just OP

How do you feel about Jacen, then? Especially after he becomes Emperor Caedus.