The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking Relics

clenchingbadger

Hey Guys I have been Through these Forums for hrs Now and either I'm Blind or just stupid :) But I can never Find what Dread Guard Relics to use For my lvl50 Powertech tank.

Really would love Just a clear this Relic and this Relic. Please Dont go into all the math that goes into It my Brain isnt Build like that :D. If anyone Could Just Get straight To the Point Of what Relics they think i should Be using.

Many thanks

Well, one of them should be the absorb proc relic, but...your second relic should be a elite war hero defense or shield one, depending on how the rest of your stat distribution looks like.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid that you have to PVP to gear for PVE, but that's how it is atm.

Contrary to how I used to think before following the forums more closely, tank relics can't be broken down into a simple "these are BiS". If you simply don't want to think about relics that much than go with 2 war hero relics and forget about them. But don't assume that this is the BiS relic load-out, as there are some different lines of thought on relics that you should take into account:

1. One goes for the highest overall benefit which is usually 1 proc with 1 war hero, or 2 war hero relics. 2 war hero relics does provide slightly more overall survivability at end game stat budgets than 1 proc and 1 war hero (this choice will come down to how geared you are). Another related reason is that 2 war hero relics provide a constant static benefit, perhaps making your damage profile more predictable and easier to heal (I don't like this particular justification.)

2. The other line of thought is that the current end game content has lower tank uptime, which makes a click relic and the proc together much more useful. Their respective cool-downs are largely made irrelevant, especially so if the click relic is leveraged correctly. Kitru has posted a breakdown on this reasoning here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5285275&postcount=7

Also keep in mind that different tiers of click relics are not consistent and linear in the benefit they provide, due to an oversight on Bioware's part. The Rakata Relic of Imperilling Serenity is the best you can get for a defence click relic, as it has a 10 second greater duration than the campaign and dread guard versions. Campaign Relic of the Shrouded Crusader is also the best relic of its type for the same reason.

I personally don't like weighting my relics into my stats as I swap them out constantly depending on the encounter. Weighting your relics is more optimal at the cost of being non-optimal if you decide to deviate from the assumed relic load-out you have stat'd for.

Edited by Marb