The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Crit and Surge Soft Caps

mykaelmjr

I've recently started to tweak my gear and I'm finding mixed results on what the soft caps are for crit and surge. I've read everything from 25%-35% unbuffed for crit and 70-75% unbuffed for surge. Does anyone have an advice on this topic?

Thanks

there is no soft cap on a crit percentage. much more it is on different types of ratings.

critchance from skills/buff never caps (obivously)

crit chance from mainstat deminishes very slightly (for example 1 point of mainstats gives + 0.005% critchance between 1800-2000 mainstat and +0.006% between 1000-1200)

critchance from critrating deminishing curve is steeper 0.04% critchance between 0-200 critrating and 0.02% between 400-600 critrating.

crit becomes more important also when a lot of your attacks gain extra crit damage and becomes less important when you have autocrits.

a vaguards has hib and all his dots dealing 30% extra crit damage aka. 50-60% of his total damage damage.

so to answer your question i'd say around 260 critrating is the way to go. after that take power instead.

now for surge yes, it is true more then 75% is almost never a good idea. the reason for it is the cap after 300 points of surge.

also with a lot of your major damage dealing attacks gaining +30% extra critdamage anyway. the difference between 300 and 400 surge would be 205% damage on crits vs 207% (1% higher crit damage).

so after 300 points in surge points are better spend into accuracy.

ps: here is a link to to the graphs of surge/crit etc http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/01/when-is-too-much-surge-bad-for-digestion/

Edited by Quantemoq

well sages , shadows and gunslingers and all tanks have 10+ defense.

which lets your rapid shots miss 20% of your time (rapid shots is over 10% of your total damage) and your railshots 10% of the time (26% of your damage) by default.

also don't forget about accuracy debuffs of gunslingers and marauders and defense buffs of shadow and jedi.

there is quite a difference between hitting 40% of the time and 50%.

while gaining 1 % higher crits (not total damage just crits) is not really woth it.

200 accuracy rating gets you just to +6.6% accuracy and with 300 surge you are already pretty close to the total 530 you can invest in both before cutting mainstat.

Edited by Quantemoq

I go with the following. YMMV.

For Assault: Accuracy to 105%>Crit to 30%> Surge to 75%>Aim>Power>More Crit>More Surge

For Tactics(HIB build): Same as above.

For Tactics(no-HIB build): Drop accuracy.

IIRC, at 1850+ Aim becomes weaker than Power, but I can't remember where I read that. You'll be needing full WH, all Aim augments, 3/3 Steely Resolve with Force Valor Buff before that becomes an issue though.

IIRC, at 1850+ Aim becomes weaker than Power, but I can't remember where I read that. You'll be needing full WH, all Aim augments, 3/3 Steely Resolve with Force Valor Buff before that becomes an issue though.

Every time I see analysis for Aim v. Power, the break point is always somewhere in the 8k range because the diminishing returns on Aim's crit contribution doesn't really make a substantive effect until you're that deep into it.