The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Explosive Surge...

hunterthesloth

...It costs too much ammo for not enough damage i see the purpose of it but i have cheaper aoe's that i can use so either increase the damage of lower the energy cost...

Yes, it costs a lot of ammo for the damage it causes, especially when compared to your other AoEs, but you're not factoring in something *very* important: it has no CD. If it was competitive with the other AoEs without a CD, you'd just be spamming that all the time. Explosive Surge is fine where it is (especially since you get 2 casts of it for free as a VG tank after you Storm up to a target).

Yes, it costs a lot of ammo for the damage it causes, especially when compared to your other AoEs, but you're not factoring in something *very* important: it has no CD. If it was competitive with the other AoEs without a CD, you'd just be spamming that all the time. Explosive Surge is fine where it is (especially since you get 2 casts of it for free as a VG tank after you Storm up to a target).

I really just want it buffed to 850-1000 damage and add a 1.5 second cooldown

Right...you only use it if you have it proc'd by storm.

Right...you only use it if you have it proc'd by storm.

Actually, I use it whenever my other AoEs are on CD, there are a number of targets near me, and I have the ammo to burn, regardless of whether I've recently use Storm or not. The issue with this is, of course, that VGs have enough AoEs (Mortar Volley, Pulse Cannon, and Sticky Grenade) that, in general, there tend to not be enough targets still standing after the opening AoE volley to justify further AoE or you don't have the ammo to burn while remaining at your top ammo regen level after burning through it all.

Honestly, Explosive Surge isn't even all that necessary thanks to all of the AoE VGs already pack. It's just there for those extreme edge cases where everything *better* is on CD and you've still got ammo burning a hole in your pocket. Pretty much all of the non-CD AoEs are just like it: low damage and comparatively high cost for the damage they deal.