Better Combat-Tree Animations

KnightGreg

I am a Sent on the Combat Tree for 1 reason: The Ataru Form. Ataru, if you read up on it, is a lightsaber Form that allows the user to make their body a weapon by perform acrobatic moves that create more force and kinetic energy on the target. Think of Yoda in II and III. Because Combat Sents use Ataru, I think our abilities gained from our Tree, Blade Rush and Precision Slash, should more acrobatic animations.

Instead of Precision Slash looking like just another hit, how about a stabbing motion into the target that looks more like what the buff it grants says it does.

As for Blade Rush, instead of just a "baseball bat" motion with both lightsabers, how about some like sweet bending of the user's body as in the Shadow's AOE, but in midair.

Finally for the Ataru hit from the form, I think a more visible Ataru hit, like from a completely different angle or approach, should let me know when my Ataru is activating and it is not.

This can also be converted to the Carnage spec, I think, of the Marauder..

COMBAT FTW!

Edited by KnightGreg

As much as I dislike the inherently flawed concept of Ataru, lore-wise, I fully agree. Annihilation Marauder and Rage Marauder, who uses Juyo and Shii-Cho respectively are more "jumpy" than Carnage Marauder who uses the supposedly acrobatic Form.

As for Blade Rush, instead of just a "baseball bat" motion with both lightsabers, how about some like sweet bending of the user's body as in the Shadow's AOE, but in midair.

At first sight, it looks good, but after a second thought, it doesn't.

Why ? because Blade Rush is basically used in a row, and so seeing the same jump movement 6 times in a row would ruin the animation : the animation would look nice used one time from time to time, but repeating it would make the skill boring to see, and feel completely unrealistic.

In order to feel right, Blade rush is bound to be a "normal-looking" move because it is repeated.

Edited by Altheran

At first sight, it looks good, but after a second thought, it doesn't.

Why ? because Blade Rush is basically used in a row, and so seeing the same jump movement 6 times in a row would ruin the animation : the animation would look nice used one time from time to time, but repeating it would make the skill boring to see, and feel completely unrealistic.

In order to feel right, Blade rush is bound to be a "normal-looking" move because it is repeated.

Yeah I get that, but at least make it look cooler. Maybe like Slash but where you like spin your lightsabers or bend your body. Like a combination of Slash and Zealous Strike would be cool.

I'll also add that our Master Strike needs a different animation than the original. They can do this with the other Trees as well. The Juyo Master Strike shows the lightsabers with a flaming aura and the Focus one can have more Force-like feel to it. Ours would be some sweet spinning sh*t.

Ideally, I think they should spend some time actually producing some unique animations for even the bog-standard normal sabre attacks that are specific to each lightsabre form (and the Shadow/Assassin techniques), for two reasons:

1. Wow, would it look good and help immersion. Right now, all a form does is tweak some stats and plays an animation when you activate it. It's all very formulaic and not immersive and just feels unpolished. Why isn't my Soresu guardian deflecting attacks with whirling, intricate lightsabre movements; why is my Ataru Sentinel not leaping, ducking and rolling and performing acrobatic attacks; why is my Combat Technique Shadow not showing his Sabre mastery with expert double-bladed sabre defence (a la soresu) and Satele-Shan style attacking moves?

2. The current normal lightsabre strike animations (and even the slash/double strike to an extent) look absolutely awful. You just stand there swinging it like a nerf bat. There's the scope here not only for form-specific animations, but animations that get subtly more complex as you level up and increase your power; thereby showing your character develop his lightsabre mastery.

Something that ideally really should have been in since release, but they just haven't polished this game at all.