The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyrotech gearing

steave

I'm mainly a tank., but I'm trying to also build up a DPS gear so I can respec when needed, but I'm a bit unsure about what to focus on. What do you guys think about this build? Some of the DPS in my guild say that I should focus on power and don't seem to get their crit rating up quite as high, but with the 9% bonus to aim from talents, trading as much power as I could for aim instead only made my damage bonus drop by 2 points, while I gained a little over 1% crit.

Crit chance is pretty high though, so maybe some of the crit on the rest of the gear should be power instead, but with a 30% crit damage bonus for railshot and my dots raising that crit chance should provide a juch greater bonus then for mos other classes.

The advise I got are from 2 good DPS players, but neither of them play a powertech, and their recomendations just doesn't seem to mix well with the pyrotech talents.

Edited by steave

I'm mainly a tank., but I'm trying to also build up a DPS gear so I can respec when needed, but I'm a bit unsure about what to focus on. What do you guys think about this build? Some of the DPS in my guild say that I should focus on power and don't seem to get their crit rating up quite as high, but with the 9% bonus to aim from talents, trading as much power as I could for aim instead only made my damage bonus drop by 2 points, while I gained a little over 1% crit.

Crit chance is pretty high though, so maybe some of the crit on the rest of the gear should be power instead, but with a 30% crit damage bonus for railshot and my dots raising that crit chance should provide a juch greater bonus then for mos other classes.

The advise I got are from 2 good DPS players, but neither of them play a powertech, and their recomendations just doesn't seem to mix well with the pyrotech talents.

I haven't updated my profile with my PT as he is my newest character, so can't show you what I am running. Current spec I run is 7/6/28. At higher gear levels I have been told 8/5/28 also works for PvE. Get Burnout maxed, and drop either a point from Steely Resolve or Prototype cylinders (although, that is for Op's. Solo and HM your's is fine).

With your link I would swap 1 crit mod/enhancement for a power one. Current thinking on crit rating is that, due to the diminishing returns being separate from the crit percentage gained from aim you should try to get about 350 crit rating. Accuracy seems to be what everybody gets in 61's, and will go above 100% with 63's.

Augments to use, always aim. For the reason you stated above, we get additional boosts to aim both from talents and buffs, and the additional crit percentage outweighs the 0.03 damage bonus that power has over aim.

You also have the wrong augment. From the BiS Dreadguard Relic thread internal and kinetic use Tech crit, elemental and energy use force crit. PT's don't have enough armour penetration to use kinetic, so that second relic should be the internal damage one.

I haven't updated my profile with my PT as he is my newest character, so can't show you what I am running. Current spec I run is 7/6/28. At higher gear levels I have been told 8/5/28 also works for PvE. Get Burnout maxed, and drop either a point from Steely Resolve or Prototype cylinders (although, that is for Op's. Solo and HM your's is fine).

With your link I would swap 1 crit mod/enhancement for a power one. Current thinking on crit rating is that, due to the diminishing returns being separate from the crit percentage gained from aim you should try to get about 350 crit rating. Accuracy seems to be what everybody gets in 61's, and will go above 100% with 63's.

Augments to use, always aim. For the reason you stated above, we get additional boosts to aim both from talents and buffs, and the additional crit percentage outweighs the 0.03 damage bonus that power has over aim.

You also have the wrong augment. From the BiS Dreadguard Relic thread internal and kinetic use Tech crit, elemental and energy use force crit. PT's don't have enough armour penetration to use kinetic, so that second relic should be the internal damage one.

Thanks a lot for the advice, updated the gear according to your recomendations.

I'm a bit hesitant on the spec change though - is 1% crit chance and 10% extra dot damage while the target is below 30% HP really worth loosing 3% constant aim or crit?

This is the latest parse from the guy I get my advice from: http://www.torparse.com/a/49403

For some reason they didn't bother killing Terror, but oh well. I could try and math this, but I don't know enough about how it works. If I am assuming correctly, it would be 12 damage per hit for 3% aim (assuming a start of 2000) for the whole fight, or 45 per dot tick for 30% of the fight. The dots will crit a lot more than the crit gained from the aim as well.

Particular useful in bosses with burn phases sub 30%, including Terror (Furious Tantrum), TFB Kephess (sub 10% bombardment), Writhing Horror (sub 15% soft enrage), EC Kephess (killing him before tanks and healers run out of resources, also the final burn on the walker), Zorn and Toth (have a soft enrage sub 10%, and a harder soft enrage when one of them dies), and Soa (shield down).

This is the latest parse from the guy I get my advice from: http://www.torparse.com/a/49403

For some reason they didn't bother killing Terror, but oh well. I could try and math this, but I don't know enough about how it works. If I am assuming correctly, it would be 12 damage per hit for 3% aim (assuming a start of 2000) for the whole fight, or 45 per dot tick for 30% of the fight. The dots will crit a lot more than the crit gained from the aim as well.

Particular useful in bosses with burn phases sub 30%, including Terror (Furious Tantrum), TFB Kephess (sub 10% bombardment), Writhing Horror (sub 15% soft enrage), EC Kephess (killing him before tanks and healers run out of resources, also the final burn on the walker), Zorn and Toth (have a soft enrage sub 10%, and a harder soft enrage when one of them dies), and Soa (shield down).

Yeah, good points there. Changing the spec too, ty :)