The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Important question, Using ION does shield or AP put out more damage?

mrObtuse

I have guildies who doubt you can deal more damage using AP and ion cylinder tanking since you are missing what they say are more synergistic damage bonuses that are built into the shield tree. On theory, speculation only I disagree. How would one go about deciding which skill set more actual sustained damage and/or theat within ion cell?

Because there are only two talents that require high energy gas cylinder (movement speed and 8 heat every 6 seconds), you would theoretically put out more damage in AP because it is a dps spec. However, I'm not completely sure about that and you just need to parse a fight on a dummy with each spec to see which one came out on top.

I'm not sure why the question is being asked though (assuming I understood it right that you want to know which spec will produce more damage while using ion cylinder). Tanks use shield tech for the additional survivability, not damage/threat output. If you're dpsing, you should probably use pyro, and if tanking, use shield tech. You will not be able to tank high end content if not properly specced.

Right, thanks for your response. The goal is in exactly as you stated, tanking but not high end stuff as the secondary not main frontline tank---- where half the time there isn't even anything to tank for the second tank.

Once your gear is pretty good, dropping out of shield skill points though obviously your defense is suboptimal at that point, the fact that you can still turn on ion and get your threat/armor bump lets you tank with the non-conventional setup. The two builds I like for ap don't actually touch the HE cylinder points, typically the one with pyro points using combustible for the huge damage of the burn when I'm strictly not tanking at all or doing add cleanup like in operator IX...

But I have sort of a dispute over the value of either the increased damage (IE the claim that you lose more damage than you gain without some of the shield tree damage increasing perks while using ion cell) or the methodology of having the dps skill points and stance for strictly add cleanup phases of a given battle...

I am going to get the Operation dummy I think and learn how to count the damage over time.. no experience in doing that at all as I've only been playing the last few months and had a break around when the external combat log was released. WHat I realized is even vs a dummy.. unless that simulates you shielding attacks and the rocket punch cooldown resets.. you wouldn't get a proper comparison. This is part of why there's a theory that the damage may not even be better than shield tree/ion while actually holding aggro

Edited by mrObtuse
addendum

Have you considered using pyro with a shield and a bit of tanking gear? You would have to use combustible gas cylinder, so your mitigation may be a little more reduced than using ion gas cylinder, but it seems like you aren't shooting for great tanking ability, just maintaining aggro while putting out some decent dps.