The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard dps still viable?

mykaelmjr

Hey all,

I'm coming back go SWTOR after being laid up with some medical issues (people think the walk signal is a turn signal I guess...) and am now at making my class decision. I have a 50 guardian and a 50 vanguard both of whom I mainly dps'd with before I got hit. I was a back-up tank for some fights otherwise I would have rolled a pure dps class. I like both classes and both stories but from what I hear, vanguards have gone through some major changes. Am I better off going back to my guardian or are vanguards still pretty decent in the dps area? If so, assault or tactics?

Thanks!

Edited by mykaelmjr

I'm sure there are others who can give you a more informed answer but that said I've found that a hybrid build seems to work best. try this link first -

http://taugrim.com/2012/02/06/powertech-vanguard-50-pvp-video-4631-all-out-dps-spec/

I've speced and re-speced many times (trying to find that perfect build) and still die a quick and painful death in pvp, however, I'm also able to deliver some decent damage and take a few with me as I drop. (my pvp skills are still a work in progress).

try to find a build that makes sense to you then stick with it for about a week to get the rotations down and get a feel for what's working and what's not. re-spec if needed and try again.

hope this helps a bit , plenty of websites have info on all class's and their builds, check them out... oh and happy to hear you're doing better now. good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for linking that. I'm having to adjust my playstyle with a majority of our attacks being within 10m now. I was told that I should check out an assault commando if I wanted mobile range?

yep pretty much. however, the vanguard will do a lot more damage.