State of the Game and Oceanic Servers

falcon_Xtreme

Topic #3: Oceanic populations. Are we doing anything about them?

Answer: We are very aware of the concerns with the population levels on the Oceanic servers. The problem is pretty complex, as the solutions we have either split the populations further (like allowing Oceanic players to move to North American servers), or would force players to go to server types (PvP or RP, etc…) that they do not want to be on. Our current plan is to wait for Free-to-Play to launch and see what the influx of new players does to the populations of these servers. We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community.

OK, that is it for now. Please keep your comments and questions coming and I will try to answer the biggest, unresolved questions in these “State-of-the-Game” posts. I want to thank you all for the opportunity to be involved with such an amazing game like Star Wars: The Old Republic. I will do everything in my power to take care of the game, and help guide it to a great future.

Jeff Hickman

Executive Producer

Jeff, thanks for the introduction and thank you for the information.

Im not going to speak for everyone on Master Dar'nala but I want to share my opinion on your comment above.

now Ive been playing since launch and the game is awesome. I played on the shadowlands server and i loved it. Im a pvper more than a pver.

The thing that bothered me about the shadowlands was not the people or the population, but the lag, with no systems in place to remember character states. getting disconnected in a warzone through no fault of my own meant I would have to re-queue, and I would lose all progress. its not a major issue. but if Im playing with people I know and i suffer a disconnection even for less than 1 minute (wz deserter time) to be ejected, and unable to rejoin is abit of a bummer.

When Apac transfers became available I took the freebie ( ty very much) with both hands, and as such my game play experience changed for the better, disconnections have been at a minimum its almost not even worth mentioning. i only mention it because I dont want to return to that standard of connection, So im against the option of transfers back to US servers. 250-350ms is degraded gameplay.

Im all for consolidation of the Oceanic servers if f2p does not boost the player base, I mean no one likes playing on a "empty" server, and the world pvp on Master Dar'nala barely even happens anyway (I play everyday).

so if we were infact going to lose a "pvp" server for a pve or pve-rp server that is extremely populated , imho that works. There are still options left to accomodate those die hard pvpers. they just take some work. cough* fix ilum :p* cough , or even better, make a player housed planet (so there is incentive to actualy travel there) that both factions can populate and designate within that planet that a pvp area.

Again thanks for your time and it was good to get some feedback on what alot of us oceanic players have been thinking (regarding population issues)

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

Mmm. I've been playing on the NA servers lately - most of them the lag is horrible. I would have a couple of hours of good latency, then close to unplayable latency for the next couple of hours. I've made characters in two servers, The Bastion and The Harbinger. Both give me lag, though The Bastion has been a lot better than The Harbinger. It is nothing like how it used to be on Master D though.

Also if you do end up fixing this, I hope you allow enough character transfers. I've made several on Harbinger and only started one on Bastion. I would like to keep the majority of them ,especially because I plan on taking them to level 50 ASAP.