The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How good is the 60% armor pen on HiB for PvP?

Eastaran

I'm leveling a vanguard, primarily through PvP. I'm currently 25 and going in the assault tree. My question is, are the talents between Ionic accelerator and assault plastique better than the 60% armor pen in tactics? I'm considering dropping 3 points in that as soon as I finish particle accelerator before resuming the assault tree.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
It's a must if you're running the Assault tree. That 60% penetration stacks with the 30% penetration you get with an ability in the Assault tree, which means you are almost ignoring the bad guy's armor completely. The dps from Assault is all based around the re-proc of High Impact Bolt, so you want that to hit as hard as possible imo.

• 2 months later...

heavy armor ~30%

30% - 0.6 x 30% = 12%

so with 60% armorpenertation your HiB deals 88% of its base damage instead of 70%

that means your number will be 88/ 70 =1.26 times higher (aka 26% more damage)

if you have "high friction bolts"

the impact will be slightly less since you already have 30% AP

so it is 90% AP vs 30% ap

that reduces heavy armor to 3% and 21%

so your HiB deals 97% vs 79%

97 /79 = 1.23 (aka 23% more damage)

Edited by Quantemoq

heavy armor ~30%

30% - 0.6 x 30% = 12%

so with 60% armorpenertation your HiB deals 88% of its base damage instead of 70%

that means your number will be 88/ 70 =1.26 times higher (aka 26% more damage)

if you have "high friction bolts"

the impact will be slightly less since you already have 30% AP

so it is 90% AP vs 30% ap

that reduces heavy armor to 3% and 21%

so your HiB deals 97% vs 79%

97 /79 = 1.23 (aka 23% more damage)

It's not as simple as that - you ignore 60+30% of the targets armor (aka the rating), you don't have 90% penetration - and since armor rating has diminishing returns that's not the same thing.

I'm also not sure how those talents stack - it could either be 60+30=90% removed, or it could first remove 60% (so 40% remaining) and then remove 30% of the remaining 40% leaving the target with 28% of its armor rating being effective.

Still - RS/HiB is the cornerstone of the pyrotech/assault rotation, so yes, it's worth it - but you need to get high enough in the pyro tree to actually get the reset on it first. In your case, level 25 should get you just high enough to get 1 point in that talent and 26+27 will max it out, so don't take the extra armor penetration talent until level 28.

It's not as simple as that - you ignore 60+30% of the targets armor (aka the rating), you don't have 90% penetration - and since armor rating has diminishing returns that's not the same thing.

where did you get this info from?

because i thought only armor debuffs (like grave round etc.) reduce armor rating and armor penetration ingores the actual % (after the debuff, in case one is appield).

It's been confirmed that armorpen stacks additively - so it is 90% armor penetration, which means only 10% of the DR from armor is applied, that is,

If you have 10 DR from armor and 4 all around from a talent, the new DR would be 5%, since 9% (90%) of the armor is ignored.

I dont understand the difficulty

Edited by Zunayson