New Sorc

DarthMetier

I was using Torhead's skill calculator and came up with this hybrid lightning/madness DPS sorcerer, any thoughts on whether this would be a good build to level with (no PvP) and for end-game content? It shows what talents from skill tree to pick at each level as well. Thanks for any input.

Sith Sorcerer Hybrid (DPS) 0/16/25

10-12 Calcify

13-14 Will of the Sith

15-16 Disintegration

17-19 Chain Shock

20 Death Field

21 Madness

22-24 Sith Efficacy

25 Wrath

26-27 Haunted Dreams

28-30 Convection

31-32 Reserves

33-34 Exsanguinate

35-36 Lightning Barrier

37 Lightning Spire

38 Chain Lightning

39-40 Suppression

41-42 Lightning Barrage

43 Lightning Storm

44-45 Corrupted Flesh

46 Death Mark

47-48 Force Horrors

49-50 Lingering Nightmares

For Leveling:

Switching trees, IMO, gimps you for a few levels, and I'll explain my reasoning on this:

-After level 27, you switch over to the lightning tree, and for the next 5 levels, you're giving yourself 100 more force and 6% more damage on crushing darkness (Lightning Blast gets a boost too, but you don't really need to be using it, you have force lightning). The 100 force can really only be measured by the metric of "Are you running out of force, or stopping between fights ONLY to recupe force?" (If you're healing anyway to get HP back, the extra force is moot as far as I've experienced). Those same 5 points in Lingering Nightmares, Deathmark, and Oppressing Force would get you a much larger damage boost, not to mention Oppressing Force can be a big help for certain content.

- The next 5 levels after that in Lightning are getting you more Affliction damage and 20% stronger bubbles. If you'd been getting Creeping Death and Parasitism in Madness, you're getting some more damage and a bit more healing there as well. You could say those give equal bang for the buck, depending on where your crit% is.

- Chain lightning vs. Creeping Terror. This is more of a style call all this point. Creeping Terror is a kiting DoT that is getting some useful help from parasitism and deathmark. Chain Lightning has a cast time, but has better numbers, and at this point, if you're splitting trees, it's not getting any help other than 6% damage boost.

I think the build's viability at higher levels is a completely different discussion (and a 0/20/21 build is nice in PvP too). But I'd level through the end of Madness, and then respec it later. There's probably about 10 levels in there that you'll be slowed down by changing trees. Since you'd be wanting to level as fast as possible, having those first 10 points of lightning starting at level 28 seems like it's not giving you anything you weren't already getting (and arguably better) from Madness.

tl;dr - Split your trees later after a respec, and you'll likely level faster.