Star Wars: The Clone Wars Ep5

Beniboybling

I just watched this and seeing as nobody's made a thread for it I thought I may as well. Its the final episode in a four part series on Onderon and I was actually quite impressed - Steela's death suprised me, just goes to show that their not afraid to kill of popular characters (a lot of people have been ruthlessly killed in this new series) Making me reconsider whether they are prepared to kill Ashoka or not, I think they are.

YES!!! GREAT EPISODE!!!!!

Know why? 'Cause they finally killed off somebody important! It makes everything more dramatic and real when things like this happen.

I think that this entire story arc has been great (compared to other clone wars episodes).

I agree, great episode. And it's good that they are not afraid to get people killed anymore (though I noticed that with the female Jedi who was killed by Maul and Savage).

And I really liked the whole rebellion theme of this arc, it got a little OT feel to it.

But there are still some things to complain about, when it comes to strategy on both sides.

So the Rebels are assembled in a known location outside the city? Get a Seperatist space ship stopping by and orbital-bombard the hell out of them. Of course the rebels should have known this and either fight in the city or fight a true guerilla war.

And what is this "we can't interfere with an internal affair"-thing? Onderon is not a Seperatist ally, it has joined the Seperatists. The Republic is legally at war with Onderon. So stop this talk and send troops to support them! (I would understand if Palpatine doesn't like the idea of supporting rebels/terrorists, but Obi-Wan?)

And killing the king doesn't really serves Dooku. It hands Onderon to the rebels on a silver plate. Exept if the king knows Seperatist secrets, but it doesn't seem like that.

But these are only minor points, the rest was good.

I agree, great episode. And it's good that they are not afraid to get people killed anymore (though I noticed that with the female Jedi who was killed by Maul and Savage).

And I really liked the whole rebellion theme of this arc, it got a little OT feel to it.

But there are still some things to complain about, when it comes to strategy on both sides.

So the Rebels are assembled in a known location outside the city? Get a Seperatist space ship stopping by and orbital-bombard the hell out of them. Of course the rebels should have known this and either fight in the city or fight a true guerilla war.

And what is this "we can't interfere with an internal affair"-thing? Onderon is not a Seperatist ally, it has joined the Seperatists. The Republic is legally at war with Onderon. So stop this talk and send troops to support them! (I would understand if Palpatine doesn't like the idea of supporting rebels/terrorists, but Obi-Wan?)

And killing the king doesn't really serves Dooku. It hands Onderon to the rebels on a silver plate. Exept if the king knows Seperatist secrets, but it doesn't seem like that.

But these are only minor points, the rest was good.

Orbital bombardment? I don't think that would have been possible without leveling the whole of Isis, they don't tend to be that precise.

I agree with the whole 'Oh noes we can't get involved because ist "legitimate government". Seems a bit ridiculous. But then again, the Republic do have to be careful how they fight the war, they can't just conquer ever planet that turns to the Separatists, they have to fight the Separatists themselves - else their not upholding democracy and all that. I mean, if the Separatists hadn't attacked the Republic in the first place, there wouldn't have been a war, they can't be seen as the aggressors. Even so, I think Onderon qualifies as a subjugated planet i.e. like Ryloth.

I disagree about killing the king though. I think it was the right decision (not that I'm advocating ruthless murder or anything :p). Onderon was lost, they could see that, I could see that throughout the whole episode. The king was as good as dead without Separatists help so they may as well have killed him, also it made sure there was nobody to prevent their retreat. I mean, he's not just gonna standby and let them abandon him. (and if he did it would just be awkward :D)

YES!!! GREAT EPISODE!!!!!

Know why? 'Cause they finally killed off somebody important! It makes everything more dramatic and real when things like this happen.

I think that this entire story arc has been great (compared to other clone wars episodes).

I agree, this made it great. Lol, I was pratically baying for her blood throughout that whole scene, I was like "No don't make it another cheesy happy ending KILL HER!" They complied. :D

Orbital bombardment? I don't think that would have been possible without leveling the whole of Isis, they don't tend to be that precise.

That's exactly the point. In this episode, the rebels decide to battle the droid army outside of Iziz.

I doubt they had a shield generator, so this would have been the perfect opportunity for bombardment.

I agree with the whole 'Oh noes we can't get involved because ist "legitimate government". Seems a bit ridiculous. But then again, the Republic do have to be careful how they fight the war, they can't just conquer ever planet that turns to the Separatists, they have to fight the Separatists themselves - else their not upholding democracy and all that. I mean, if the Separatists hadn't attacked the Republic in the first place, there wouldn't have been a war, they can't be seen as the aggressors. Even so, I think Onderon qualifies as a subjugated planet i.e. like Ryloth.

Yeah, I see how the Republic has to watch not to be too much of a conquerer. But the thing has developed into a full scale civil war between republic supporters and seperatist supporters. The seperatist supporters got back-up by the CIS, so I think the Republic should have no problem with sending their support. (A little like Alderaan in this game, just without Ulgos.)

I'm not sure if it qualifies as subjugated planet, though, since it joined the CIS on it's own.

Frankly, I think they just wanted to justify making the rebels the underdogs up to the end.

I disagree about killing the king though. I think it was the right decision (not that I'm advocating ruthless murder or anything :p). Onderon was lost, they could see that, I could see that throughout the whole episode. The king was as good as dead without Separatists help so they may as well have killed him, also it made sure there was nobody to prevent their retreat. I mean, he's not just gonna standby and let them abandon him. (and if he did it would just be awkward :D)

Well, the king must still have some organic supporters, I think. So he would prolong the civil war a little.

On the other hand, abandoned by Dooku he might surrender and start giving the Seperatists bad publicity... I'm not sure.

Edited by Maaruin

The dispatching of the King by Dooku was a simple clean-up move. There was no further reason to allow the man who would be blamed for losing the planet for the Separatists to continue living. The King could also have later claimed that the Separatists made him do everything which might make it difficult for the Separatists to lure other nearby systems to their banner if that story ever got out. Remember at this point there was still a lot of PR-related moves being done by both sides to bring in more systems to their causes.

The separation of the Republic from the rebels at first was understandable since it kept the full might of the Separatist army from being brought down upon the people of Onderon. It seemed unnecessary however after it was revealed that the rebels did in fact have support from the Jedi. I was a little puzzled by Obi-Wan's refusal to send more assistance at that point. It did not seem like it was an important factor for the Republic to be behind the scenes at that point. It was probably done more for the chance to bring in Hondo and his crew once again, though it added nothing to the story really.

I was impressed by this story-arc and liked the further development of Ashoka in a more mature arc. It is also important to see how the war affects those who would rather not have a part in the stakes such as the citizens of Onderon.

The separation of the Republic from the rebels at first was understandable since it kept the full might of the Separatist army from being brought down upon the people of Onderon. It seemed unnecessary however after it was revealed that the rebels did in fact have support from the Jedi. I was a little puzzled by Obi-Wan's refusal to send more assistance at that point. It did not seem like it was an important factor for the Republic to be behind the scenes at that point. It was probably done more for the chance to bring in Hondo and his crew once again, though it added nothing to the story really.

Hmmm, I'm kinda getting sick of Hondo. He seems to represent the whole criminal underworld in the entire galaxy. Darth Maul: We need some crime lords... I know, Hondo! Anakin: We need a crime lord to supply the rebels... I know, Hondo!" There are other guys out there you know!

The dispatching of the King by Dooku was a simple clean-up move. There was no further reason to allow the man who would be blamed for losing the planet for the Separatists to continue living. The King could also have later claimed that the Separatists made him do everything which might make it difficult for the Separatists to lure other nearby systems to their banner if that story ever got out. Remember at this point there was still a lot of PR-related moves being done by both sides to bring in more systems to their causes.

I was impressed by this story-arc and liked the further development of Ashoka in a more mature arc. It is also important to see how the war affects those who would rather not have a part in the stakes such as the citizens of Onderon.

I would agree about what this arc has done to Ahsoka. I still hate her (and I want her to die), but even I can't deny that Ahsoka has become a respectable character.