The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[VIDEO] Are the 1.4 Powertech changes a problem?

Lorcen

Hi guys, I've put together this video with my first thoughts on the changes implemented in 1.4. I haven't had a massive amount of time to test different builds on my 50, but in this video I have dropped IM from my rotation entirely & concentrated more on Unloads & Rapidshots to get up the CGC. Seem to work okay...

I'm excited to test out some Hybrid Pyro builds, dropping TD & focusing more on some defence or increased attribute stacking. I'd be interested to hear what you guys have been testing or whether you are still using IM with TSO at closer quarters, or TD?

So if you have a moment please answer the following:

1 - What is your opinion on the PT changes in 1.4 and how have you dealt with them?

2 - What classes are you finding increasingly difficult to kill or survive against in 1.4?

I'm hoping to create a video soon with some feedback from the community expressing our concerns with the Powertech, so please discuss. Thanks!

Edited by Lorcen

1. Opinion on Pyro changes-

Absolutely necessary. This tree wasn't melee. It wasn't ranged, but it wasn't melee. It was able to pound from any distance, it just happened to do melee MUCH better. This ranged advantage needed to get balanced in order to keep AP an attractive spec. The class still has mondo damage, that's what it's there for. Like any other class. And it still has range!!! this update also gave pyros use of the explosive dart.

2. Experience-

Everyone. Less range means less time to recoup or let the healers catch you... or if you go ranged anyways, less damage.

Edited by BlazingShadow

So if you have a moment please answer the following:

1 - What is your opinion on the PT changes in 1.4 and how have you dealt with them?

2 - What classes are you finding increasingly difficult to kill or survive against in 1.4?

1. The class isn't terribly survivable but thankfully burst still exists post 1.4 which in itself is our defense. Typically the 1v1 uber classes still win, and putting us in 'forced' melee range exposes us to that more than ever so situational awareness becomes paramount in 50 PVP (no more sitting back).

2. See above. The 1v1 gods are still 1v1 gods. I've watched piles of video, including 1v1 tournaments on PVP servers and Powertechs NEVER came close to winning those BEFORE 1.4. Post 1.4 you can't avoid these classes as you'll be forced to face them at an... intimate distance.

Smash/Focus and Assassin/Shadows are all the rage in 50 PVP WZ's now. This makes AP more attractive but they still came quite short on it. It's just too slow and clunky mechanically.

====================================================================

1.I watched most of your video but not being 50 really hurts it in my opinion. You're talking about NOT using IM while fighting people with 12K health. At 50 when you're in a ranked WZ standing off against a 26K+ health tank... trust me, you're using IM. You also have to use it in other situations that I am not sure if you got around to.... force cleanses off healers, get cloakers to uncloak, etc, etc. If I know I'm dying, I'll spam it on every red within a country mile of me before I go down.... Simply 'not using it' is unwise imho. It's my preference however, perhaps not yours.

2. Nice effort on the video for lowbies though. It will give them something to learn from.

3. A crucial change which _sort of_ alleviates the range issues of TD, and IM is the seperate cooldown on Dart. While Dart isn't -amazing- it is extremely valuable considering these range nerfs.

4. Firing up unload makes me grind my teeth. I have a 50 Warhero Mercenary as well and the Unload feels a lot better... well it is better. The thing I hate about unload as a Merc is the channeled aspect. I love how Powertech is so mobile... I just hate standing still... ever... Rapid shots ftw.

Proof that Rapid shots is still the most valuable part of any Powertech's rotation:

On the AP side the Powertech changes are pretty good, except that even though they buffed flamethrower it's such a dodgy ability in PvP and with latency issues half the time you aren't hitting anyone, and in PvE the fact that you sit there channeling is bad on movement fights and such. So overall pretty good but flamethrower is somewhat pesky Edited by Powrtech
Wrong Info

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that the changes were necessary and I think they are decent, mostly. I've been wanting to finish off this 10-50 series on my channel and I have not been on my lvl 50 recently so was not aware that Explosive Dart now has its own CD, thanks for pointing that out!

@ Krozis - I can understand exactly what you're saying about lvl 50 content, but I started a 10-50 lowbie guide series which I'm determined to finish! :D I have and will spec into IM and will use it still but more conservatively. I want to test out how well the extra flame damage, Aim% & Tech increases in the ST & SP trees, offsets against the SP 31 cost of TD & Burnout (30% periodic elemental damage finisher). I'm not saying this will work @ lvl 50 but it does suit my playstyle more in theory. IM is a great ability but the heat cost is super high, using thermal sensor override to negate the heat is great but dps-wise I don't think it warrants being used excessively, unless as you pointed out, tactfully.

From 10-49 though you're better off spending your SP in the ST & AP rather than going 31 PT in my opinion. I have mostly played a 31 spec Pyro, but with the changes in 1.4 I think hybrid specs might be more attainable, which is great. I would like to hear from you guys @ 50 & what you have tested so far?