The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Assault Vanguard Question - Steely Resolve vs. Focused Impact

purdyguy

Having played both a Vanguard and Powertech with a few pieces of War Hero on each, I had a question which may have already been answered, but could not find an answer through a forum search.

Has anyone done the numbers on taking three points in steely resolve over three points in focused impact? Is having 20% less in armor pen on rail shot really that much of a difference over having a 3% boost to aim which is applied to all attacks?

If anyone has an opinion or some numbers to back this up, then please let me know. Thanks so much!

I've been running tactics spec since the 1.4 change, but before that I had been playing assault the whole time before.

I was running 8/3/30 as assault following this spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZ0cZfhMbdGhrc.2

I am a strong believer in doing what you feel is the best in regards to spec/gearing for pvp, every person values certain attributes over others in this game. I do believe that the 60% armor pen that Focused Impact brings will make a tremendous difference in a fight and is an integral talent if your intend to play assault, while Steely Resolve is more of a personal choice, but to answer your question... why not have both.

My VG is currently full WH and augmented for aim rather than power, that is the main reason I kept steely resolve as a talent.

Other benefits to my spec include nightvision scopes, and adrenaline fueled. Nightvision scopes is extremely underrated imo, if you are quick with stealth scan this talent is amazing, plus you can spot all those tank hybrid assasins/shadows from a mile away it seems. And the extra uses on adrenaline rush and reserve powercell pay huge dividends if you are constantly fighting.

But like I said, all this stuff is personal preference, but I have had tons of fun with my spec thats for sure.

Are you asking for PVP or PVE?

This is my DPS PvE Ops spec. It works great. I recommend giving it a go. On a training dummy in my DPS gear I spike a bit over 1700 dps and my average is ~1650 dps. I played around with the points quite a bit. Blew a lot of money on respec and I'm glad I found this build.

Vanguard Assault Spec

Edited by respwn

I have certainly run no numbers. But, I think that Blaster Augs is key to this argument. In my opinion, the 3% crit chance is pretty hard to pass up.

And you better get the 6% crit elementalfor everything. Forgot what its called.

Also, someone with the build that was 8/3/30 should invest one point from steely resolve to assault plastique. It would totally make the burst more, and 3% aim simply isn't *amazing* compared to Assault plastique. Although, I only get the 40% HiB armor pen because 10% armor isn't that much worse than only 30% armor IMO.