The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is the point of Incendiary Round now?

lilBastahd

at the same range as ion pulse, why would I ever use it?

If they were going to scale back the range on these things, they should have been brought to 20M or at least 15M. But now everything is just pure melee range.

Please, take a look in the thread in my signature... :)

Is it still 3 ammo? Maybe if they bring the cost down to 1 it might be somewhat useful.

But now ion pulse is cheaper, does it's damage up front, is spammable, can proc HIB reset, and has the same range.

Incendiary round isn't worth the skill point (except that it's a req for ionic accelerator of course).

Edited by NurseDonut

Yep, not much point to it now. Better off just using hammer shot while closing in slowly and hoping you get a proc to use HiB before you get wthin 10m range to start a normal rotation. Once you get within 10m, if you manage to actually stay in 10m range, the cost of using IR (both ammo and GCD wise) seems prohibitive now to just skipping it all together even though you might proc the free HiB prematurely if you weren't able to get it off before with HS while closing in. About the only time I'd think about using it now is if you are fighting a tank and you know the full duration will tick or against bosses in pve.

Was a stupid change.

You have to keep in mind that you really don't want to be proccing your particle accelerator before you have your High Impact Bolt on cooldown, as that really lowers the amount of potential damage that you do. Ideally, you really don't want to be running in spamming Ion Pulse when your High Impact Bolt hasn't been used yet. It's true that Hammer Shots can light them on fire too, and I think that we'll be forced to use it a lot more than we did before (though to be honest, I know of people who preferred to use Hammer Shots over Incendiary Rounds even BEFORE the nerf.)

I can see Incendiary Round being used situationally in order to avoid proccing particle acceleration too early, but when you don't want to leave your burst at the mercy of plasma cell's low chance to proc. That being said, 3 ammo is a lot for that purpose. I feel like you'd want to save Reserve Powercell for it, in most cases.

I'm glad I'm not the only one severely disappointed in this change. I will be changing specs to Tactics tonight in fact. Using IR is useless now and since I have to be up close anyway, I might as well gut someone.

I would like to see IR revert back to the 30M range. In my rotation I'd start with IR and as I approach would use HIB, by then you're in 10M range and can continue with your rotation. Now, forget it, might as well be in melee range to start the fight.

This drastically reduces any Vanguard DPS from using any sort of ranged abilities if they want to.

Edited by Baffle