The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS Merc Help Gearing for Endgame?

schwartzpedro

Dont forget to do Corellia dalies as well, I guess now Campaign gear is what you need to be able to participate in a Op's, tho that is usually the opinion of those who post in general chat these day's looking for help.

I run BH head, chest and waist and Columni for everything else. I have completed all Op's and all HM's with this gear with no issue's, that was some months ago. Like I said Campaign is what people are looking for now.

Edited by Subzz

Great guide Aerro!

Merc is my second and probably currently most played toon. Aerro's guide pretty much covers it all. here's a quick and dirty daily approach to getting access to that gear:

1) Do Corellia dailies. Also referred to as Black Hole (BH) dailies. also include the 4 man "End of torvix". the creds and drops you get from there really help out. an average full run of those dailies (including Torvix and selling junk) is about an hours time, and yields about 100k overall in credits, and roughly 12 daily commendations or so. if its the beginning of the maintenance week (tuesday) or later, you will get 5 BH comms for completing all the dailies on Corellia (it's a once a week bonus), in addition to a nice hefty cash reward (you'll need the cash for mod swapping, so yes it is critical for you're gearing to have available creds)

2) if you don't have implants from daily comms, that would be your first goal (aside from a few barrels if you need them). if your starting out in blues/greens, then make sure you are doing the heroics on both belsavis and Illum as well...they reward some juicy purple mods, but they are also a bigger time sink. you'll get about as many mods from one lucky torvix run as you would those dailies, so often it's not needed. but can help early on. so belsavis and Ilum can help, but Corellia gives you the most rewards for the least time. i always do Corellia, then the others if i have time.

3) queue up for your daily HM run. fast, easy, and nets you columi gear and 5 additional BH comms. these are currently the "high end" commendations, and you can purchase campaign level gear with them, though the stats are not optimal..you WILL be shuffling mods around to maximize your stats to match what Aerro has in his guide.

That's it! within a week max, you'll have most your Columi gear, and will be ready to try out some of the harder Ops. but make sure you're capped with columi gear before you try opting in for an HM Op (pug). pug's are hard enough as it is, you don't want to walk in undergeared. HM Ev is designed for good players with full columi. add in your rakata earpiece and implants from dailies (or from crafting if thats your bent), and you should be fine for HM EV. that's where you start to get your rakata.

But by the time you start to fill out your rakata set, you will probably have plenty of BH gear. my merc just got her second rakata piece, and the rest of her gear is BH. so it's pretty easy to get the BH gear as time goes on. but if your dedicated and want to push, running multiple flashpoints (the HM ones) will net you your campaign gear fast. You only get the BH comms from the first one that day you do, but they all still drop columi (and have daily/tionese comms as well).

so its BH dailies - Belsavis/ilum if time - daily HM flashpoint - then mroe FP's if you have time. you'll be swimming in BH and columi in no time. if you're not sure what you need to start runs, here's a basic breakdown. Keep in mind that this is optimal...i.e. the player knows how to play the class. obviously the less experience, the more gear is needed to offset that, and the more skill, the less gear needed.:

Normal (story mode) Flashpoints: blue/or daily comm mods

Hardmode Flashpoints: Full Tionese

Storymode Ops : tionese/daily rewards (Ops being Ev or KP)

Hardmode Ops : full columi/daily reward jewelry

HM LI (lost Island) : full columi *** (this is an FP, not an OP...see below)

SM Denova (also called EC): columi/rakata/BH gear can help

HM EC : full Rakata/some BH can help

*** - Lost Island was a 4 man designed for challenging play (to give the high end small teams something to do). A good player can do it with the recommended gear. however, most PuG's and about 70% of the population will need higher level gear to offset the challenges of the bosses. the second boss in particular is very melee unfriendly, and some PuG's refuse to bring along a melee to that boss (I do no agree with this, but that's why I run mostly with guildees).

Edited by Elyx