The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shadow tanking

DarthObelisk

As long as you're getting gear with better ratings and replacing any accuracy (such as pretty much every enhancement in Rakata tank gear) with more useful tank stats (even if you downgrade the level of the enhancement, getting rid of the Accuracy for Shield will be better for you), you'll be fine. Once you get into BH/Camp gear, you should work towards getting ~30% defense, ~65% shield, and ~60% absorb fully buffed and augmented.

Kitru i have seen you post for some time and by far you know more than me. However, I can speak from experience. As a imo BIS tank, I do not see it possible to have 30def / and 60absorb.

my stats fully buffed minus my stims (i am also biochem) are on mrrobot under Arkaos :http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/e35e49b5-f435-472a-9c68-4f3528700168

~30 def

~63 Shield (w/ KW)

~53 Absorb. The only way to get absorb to 60 is to lower the 30 def.

Do you know of something that i do not?

With this setup i have no issues on HM Kephess or NP.

Thanks,

Ark

Do you know of something that i do not?

The 30/65/60 standing-with-KW-active setup is where you will get, roughly, if you tweak your stats for as much mitigation as possible and use both PvP Defense relics. I'm actually 28/66/63 (with only 24k *with* the Exotech Fort stim), but I don't have the PvP Defense relics (I have a use and a proc relic along with a fair bit more absorb than I "should" have, but I like it that way). The 30/65/60 split is simply where you should roughly be aiming for. Some stats are likely be over and some likely to be under, especially depending on your relics of choice.

I'm currently at 28.54% defense, 65.53% shield (with KW), and 57.80% absorb and 25.8k HP buffed and stimmed. I could be a hair higher, but I sacrificed two mods for the 26B variant (giving up 9 <mitigation> for 21 Endurance on both), which actually *improves* my overall survivability when considering the value of the self-heal.

Currently, the value of 18 points in each of my survivability stats are as follows:

• Defense: 0.1076389%
  • Shield: 0.1023386%
  • Absorb: 0.1071775%
  • Endurance: 0.0459385%

So, everything except Endurance is about as close to even as it can be (given that you can't really trade shield for defense/absorb). In other words, I'm pretty much at the ideal stat balance. If I traded some of my endurance for more mitigation points, I would be much closer to what Kitru advises. This would slightly lower my overall survivability though (by about 0.2%) despite increasing my mitigation, as the stat budget is not 1-to-1 between mod variants. Since endurance has other benefits (TTL, eHP and omnidirectional threat) in addition to raising my survivability slightly, it seemed like a clear win.

If I had a slightly higher mitigation budget (as Kitru does, with his lower HP), I would put the points into absorb and defense, with an emphasis on absorb. So, that would probably bring me to around ~29% defense and ~59.5% absorb, which is pretty close to Kitru's advice.

Note that my mitigation calculations take my proc absorb relic into account, which is part of why my absorb is lower than one would naively expect. My current AMR profile is here: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/6d0035cb-8938-4f38-8073-e75392f0b410

Edited by KeyboardNinja

only a 58 hilt?!!? slacker!!!

jk awesome gear.:D

lol Thanks. I've been passing on the main hand until all of our DPS and healers have theirs (since it means more to them than it does to me as a tank). We do 8 man raids, but we draw on a pool of 7 DPS, so it takes a little while to get everyone geared up. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what my defense/ damage reduction/shield rating and shield absorb rating should be at for tank all sorts of stuff from the regular fp' s to HM EC ?

Im asking so i know what to be working towards with my bh gear on my shadow tank

looks like you have plenty of 50's, so this may be old news, but here's a rough approach to gear requirements. In other words, have this gear before starting that tier of tanking:

HM FP's (except LI) - Full tionese

HM LI - Full Columi (be warned that most groups will want higher for this...it takes a well put together group to make it on columi, but it's doable. The tank takes allot of punishment in there, so the higher gear the better)

Sm Ops - Full Tionese

HM Ops - Full Columi

SM EC - Columi + Rakata (some BH can help)

HM EC - Full rakata/BH

These are baseline starting values. Skill makes an impact on this, but its a good starting point. LIke Kit said, once you hit BH/Camp gear (you can start as early as Full Rakata), then you start optimizing. keep all your mods from Columi onward (the armor itself isn't required, but save the mods). you will often be switching stuff in and out as you get new gear, and it impacts your itemization. although BH gear is higher then rakata or columi, i find myself often keeping some of the columi/Rakata mods, even though their gear level is lower (far too much accuracy/alacrity on BH gear).