F2P and Returning Current Player

Kutasyn

Hey Folks,

I've been playing since early access, and have not stopped subbing during that time. I've truly loved the game. I will admit, though, that the f2P announcement really angered me. So much so that I stopped logging in. '

I logged into the game recently, and found that it was just as I remembered. For all its warts, it's still the game that I prefer. I'm having a ton of a fun on a certain new, NON-SUB game, but I'd happily stay subb'd here except for one thing.

I have yet to have a good experience with a f2P conversion.

I began playing LOTRO just before it went f2P. The community on Brandywine was wonderful, truly helpful and friendly. After a few months of f2P, a lot of that atmosphere disappeared. The entitlement crowd showed up and just destroyed my enjoyment of the game. I log in every few months to keep the rent paid, but that's about it.

I very stupidly bought a DCUO lifetime sub, as I'm a huge fanboy, and hey, can't miss, right? After f2P, the only goons I want to beat up are the Sony folks. There was a core group that truly believed in the game, and they disappeared right after f2P.

I am worried that SWTOR is going to turn into yet another such experience. I think monthly coins to subs is a good idea, but I am worried that the cash shop will be the only addition to the game for some time. I'm worried that expansions are going to be expansions in name only--an operation or two tossed into the cash shop for an ungodly amount of coin.

I guess the reason for the post is this--is there still hope? I would like to continue to support the game, but I need something to give me hope that the company plans to keep growing this title in a positive way for years to come. You want to charge me for vanity rainbow power crystal that randomly switches color, or a force robes that change color based on alignment? Go for it. So long as it leads to quality additions to story and game play down the road, I am fine with sparkle ponies in space.

My question is, is there reason to hope that good things will come with f2p?

The F2P is not going to be like a lot of people think it is, ;people will get to get to 50 yes but after that they are limited to what they can do, how many warzones they can be in and they will not have access to OPs groups. They WILL have to pay for those if they want them, they will have to pay for a lot of extra things in game and actually its not really going to be free if they want to experience the game fully. I think what they are tring to do is let everyone get to 50 and either sub or end up paying for stuff in some manner because well if they want the full experience it is still gonna cost them something. If people invest in this game they will eventually know that a small fee of 15 a month will benefit them more in the long run.

The F2P is not going to be like a lot of people think it is, ;people will get to get to 50 yes but after that they are limited to what they can do, how many warzones they can be in and they will not have access to OPs groups. They WILL have to pay for those if they want them, they will have to pay for a lot of extra things in game and actually its not really going to be free if they want to experience the game fully. I think what they are tring to do is let everyone get to 50 and either sub or end up paying for stuff in some manner because well if they want the full experience it is still gonna cost them something. If people invest in this game they will eventually know that a small fee of 15 a month will benefit them more in the long run.
It's a model that a lot of F2P games are going with or starting to go with. DDO was my first experience with a F2P and at the time there was no sub option and it just felt like they were nickel and diming me. But, IMO, it's a good model for making money. You pull people in because it's F2P, then if they want more they pay. And at first they may only pay a little, like maybe $5 every couple of months or so. But you will have those who will "refuse to sub" who will end up paying more that $15 a month, yet they get to keep their warm fuzzy feeling of not subbing intact. Also, if the micro-transactions are small enough and convenient enough, they stand a better chance at having those of the latter group.

As for me, I'll just keep subbing and hope that they'll have gaudy vanity items that I can buy with micro-tranactions.

Edited by The_Brick