The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

so uhm.. a bit of help please(pvp)

hallucigenocide

i've got a vanguard at lvl 48. played the iron fist spec up til that awhile ago.. but now it seems pretty useless so i've been trying assault instead and it seems even worse.. sure i do tons of damage but i go down so fast that i feel that i'm of no use whatsoever to the team.. so how does one go about now that my fav specc has been demolished?

just nuke,die and repeat?

Edited by hallucigenocide

If you to go Taugrim's site (the Iron Fist guy), there is a recommended build that is a hybrid of assault and tactics. You get both incendiary round/ionic accelerator from the Assault tree and Hold the Line (8 sec of immunity from cc but not roots and a 30% speed boost every 30 seconds), another melee attack and a shorter cooldown on your interrupt from Tactics. It doesn't do as much damage as full assault but I like the increased utility. Edited by HaibaneRenmai

i've got a vanguard at lvl 48. played the iron fist spec up til that awhile ago.. but now it seems pretty useless so i've been trying assault instead and it seems even worse.. sure i do tons of damage but i go down so fast that i feel that i'm of no use whatsoever to the team.. so how does one go about now that my fav specc has been demolished?

just nuke,die and repeat?

Kiting is the key part of running a deep Assault build, combined with using Harpoon to separate your target from any heals and/or Guards. You want to basically run in large, sweeping patterns around your target while only getting in close enough to use Stock Strike to proc and reset your HIB when outside of the internal 6sec CD of Ionic Accelerator.

Reflexive Shield is also a major part of the Assault build, because it reduces the active CD on your Reactive Shield by three seconds every time you take ANY damage (every 1.5sec). So, even being out-of-combat with a DOT on you will reduce the active CD on your Reactive Shield. Don't pop your Shield at the start of the fight. Wait for them to get a few hits in. At about 70-60% HP, pop Shield; It's a good bet that your target will have already popped their Defensive CD's and once you get your target to 30% HP, it's GG. You do the most damage to targets =<=30% HP due to spec'ing into Burnout.

Timing CC is also extremely important. Don't open up with your Cryo Grenade. Instead, the first stun you should use on a target is Neural Surge. If you're playing against someone less skilled, they will pop their Freedom CD, which allows you to follow up with a Cryo Grande the next GCD. This forces them to eat the entire 6 seconds of the Cryo stun, giving you 4 GCD's to pewpew. If you're playing against a skilled player, they will eat the full duration of Neural Surge and pop their Freedom CD on Cryo Grenade, but you still get 2 GCD to pewpew.

If you to go Taugrim's site (the Iron Fist guy), there is a recommended build that is a hybrid of assault and tactics. You get both incendiary round/ionic accelerator from the Assault tree and Hold the Line (8 sec of immunity from cc but not roots and a 30% speed boost every 30 seconds), another melee attack and a shorter cooldown on your interrupt from Tactics. It doesn't do as much damage as full assault but I like the increased utility.

I think you have the terminology mixed up. Roots, Snares, Kockdowns/backs and physics are covered by Hold The Line - Stuns/Mes's are not.

Root - Your toon is held in place, but you are sill able to perform actions.

Snare - Your toon movement speed is slowed, but you are still able to perform actions.

Stun - Your toon becomes incapacitated, and you are unable to perform any actions (other than using your Freedom CD).

Mes(merize) - a Stun that breaks on damage.

Knockdown/back - Your toon is forcibly pushed away from the caster, but you are still able to perform actions (but unable to move during the animation duration).

Physics - Environmental effects that would cause reduced movement or incapacitation.