The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Guardian or shadow for tanking?

Newyankalt

I'm wondering what class to play next I want a Jedi tank but not sure which one I have a level 50 marruader,sorc and commando. Which one of these classes is better at tanking in PVE I'm not much of a big fan of PVP but story also means a lot so which I better for story also? Whatever I pick will be my first tank. Edited by Newyankalt

They Both do a great job tanking. Our Ops group (doing HM Den atm), runs one of each.

Shadow is a bit easier to play in that regards tho. They have better AoE threat, but less mitigation. And the Guard takes more focus and watching resource use more carefully. But since both work quite well, I'd play the one that appeals more to you

That being said, Guards mature a bit later then shadows do, and they suffer for not having a healing companion till higher levels. But I enjoy the playstyle of my guard (jugg actually) more then my shadow.

Shadows are generally better tanks, they hold aggie more easily, they have a self heal, stealth, and a cc. Shadow tanks actually do substancially more damage than a pure tank Guardian. The tank tree for Guardian is a complete and total disaster area.