The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Heat Blast vs. Retractable Blade

MadVillian

Any Tanks choose Retractable Blade over Heat Blast? So, far I just don't get good use out of Heat Blast, I've really never had a problem with heat unless I go, all out which is rare, so I'm thinking I'd be better served with the extra damage. This is in regards to PVE only.

Thanks

Heat blast is better. Being off the global cool-down makes it an on demand heat dump, which is essential in moments where you are busy paying attention to fight mechanics and loose track of your heat, which will happen if your dps are keeping you on your toes. There are times when you need to burst threat regardless of your current heat. Heat Blast takes a lot of pressure off managing your resource.

Retractable Blade does terrible damage for its heat cost, and is designed as on demand dot and snare so advanced prototypes can fire off a railshot. Your ion gas cylinder already provides this function.

Heat blast is better. Being off the global cool-down makes it an on demand heat dump, which is essential in moments where you are busy paying attention to fight mechanics and loose track of your heat, which will happen if your dps are keeping you on your toes. There are times when you need to burst threat regardless of your current heat. Heat Blast takes a lot of pressure off managing your resource.

Because it's off the GCD, you should be keeping Heat Blast on cooldown at all times. This maximizes the damage, threat and heat dissipation it provides (and is what makes it MUCH better than Retractable Blade)

Heat Blast (just like Flame Burst) also procs your heat screen ability. Each stack increases your shield absorb by another 1%. It stacks up to 4 times. An extra 4% off incoming dmg is nice no matter how you look at it. The only time I've taken Retrac Blade is when I PvP. It works well for burst dmg and in pvp heat isnt always as a big an issue as putting out that extra dps. Just depends on how you wanna play. Will say that trying to tank without HB make heat management that much harder which directly relates to holding aggro.