The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveling sage/shadow

Salzenstein

Glad you found the trainer, but this actually brings up a point. I feel like there should be a quest on your starter world specifically for your AC. It should be something along the lines of when you get sent to your capitol planet, there should be instructions to first stop in the fleet to "gain more advanced knowledge of your career path before going to Coruscant/Dromund Kass because you'll need be stronger before embarking on this journey."

Or something to that effect. An NPC standing in the corner with a quest marker over his head might actually be missed. I mean, this a MAJOR DECISION.

Glad you found the trainer, but this actually brings up a point. I feel like there should be a quest on your starter world specifically for your AC. It should be something along the lines of when you get sent to your capitol planet, there should be instructions to first stop in the fleet to "gain more advanced knowledge of your career path before going to Coruscant/Dromund Kass because you'll need be stronger before embarking on this journey."

Or something to that effect. An NPC standing in the corner with a quest marker over his head might actually be missed. I mean, this a MAJOR DECISION.

When I leveled my first toon ever and I got to the fleet, the very first thing I saw as I left the elevator was a quest giver that had me go to my trainer to pick my AC.

Having done 10 levels on Tython, I was already in the habit of talking to quest givers with the big triangle on top of their head, so I it was pretty hard to miss.

What is happening that people miss this quest giver, skip over picking their AC (and crafting skills for that matter) and go straight to Coruscant?

When I leveled my first toon ever and I got to the fleet, the very first thing I saw as I left the elevator was a quest giver that had me go to my trainer to pick my AC.

Having done 10 levels on Tython, I was already in the habit of talking to quest givers with the big triangle on top of their head, so I it was pretty hard to miss.

What is happening that people miss this quest giver, skip over picking their AC (and crafting skills for that matter) and go straight to Coruscant?

It can actually be easy to miss. On my very first character I didn't even notice it till I ran right by it. It was my first time on the fleet so I was gawking. Just looking around and stuff, taking in the environment. Wasn't even paying attention to quest givers and just happened to notice him and the adjacent quest to pick up your crafting professions.

Again, this is a MAJOR DECISION. Not some reminder to train your skills. This is your class you're going to be playing as and is a permanent decision.

In Aion you can't even continue playing the game until you pick your class. It's part of your quest. In SWTOR nothing is even mentioned about it. You step off the shuttle in the fleet and notice some random, nondescript NPC chilling off to one side with a quest marker over his head. You click on this guy and realize it's the quest for your permanent advanced class.

Uh...slightly important decision there. It only affects your character's entire life.

Well, that's a good point.

I just leveled a new toon and the new tutorial system seems to help. I got two different tutorials at different times as I reached level 10 and again when I hit the fleet talking about the advanced classes.

Hopefully this will help channel newer players in the right direction.

It can actually be easy to miss. On my very first character I didn't even notice it till I ran right by it. It was my first time on the fleet so I was gawking. Just looking around and stuff, taking in the environment. Wasn't even paying attention to quest givers and just happened to notice him and the adjacent quest to pick up your crafting professions.

Again, this is a MAJOR DECISION. Not some reminder to train your skills. This is your class you're going to be playing as and is a permanent decision.

In Aion you can't even continue playing the game until you pick your class. It's part of your quest. In SWTOR nothing is even mentioned about it. You step off the shuttle in the fleet and notice some random, nondescript NPC chilling off to one side with a quest marker over his head. You click on this guy and realize it's the quest for your permanent advanced class.

Uh...slightly important decision there. It only affects your character's entire life.

Although I didn't miss it, I can understand what you mean. It's there...it's visible, but it's also OPTIONAL. i.e. , it's not part of your quest chain. when you leave your starter planet, you HAVE to go to fleet. it's part of the chain. from there, you HAVE to board a shuttle to the home planet. But you don't HAVE to talk to the dude who sends you to the AC trainer.

the problem is, some people don't want to choose right away, so it should still be something that you don't have to do to continue your quest chain. so going and talking to the NPC on the fleet should be mandatory, but the quest to go to the AC trainer should be a side quest after that. so you go talk to the NPC, he directs you to your class trainer, and the side quest after that opens up, while the main quest chain then directs you to the shuttle to your main planet (coruscant or dromund). that's the idea I get for a solution.

Edited by Elyx