Vanguard Leveling Help in 1.3

kreliavan

I haven't played my vanguard for a long time and I've been wanting to start leveling him again. However, I cant seem to find any builds or rotations for the 1.3 patch. It seems that shield spec is the preferred leveling spec at the moment but can someone please show me a specific build and a rotation to use that spec with? My vanguard is level 19 at the moment. The build doesn't have to be shield spec but please include a rotation or priority list or something to go along with it. Edited by kreliavan

No one answered probably because everything is fairly self explanatory. Tank vanguards don't have "rotation", we use a priority system. Our damage isn't very high so using our AOEs need to be used as son as they are available meaning opening with mortar volley, using Storm to get in among the mobs and positioning yourself to keep them grouped up so as many as possible are in Pulse Cannon's cone of fire. Use your instant attacks while you are moving. Sticky Grenade will scatter normal mobs, so I use it as a finisher when several mobs are close together and almost dead.

Your hardest hitting single target attacks will probably be High Impact Bolt and Stock Strike, use them as soon as they are available. Use Ion Pulse as filler when nothing else is available, and weave in your auto attack in-between skills in order to keep your ammo above 70-ish%.

As for the build.. I'd put 2 into AS for the extra damage on Stock Strike. For the Tactics tree, I put 3 points for the extra HiB penetration, 2 into the extra crit on elemental attacks, 2 into the extra damage on ion pulse and 1 into Blaster Augs. For the Shield tree, put points in the logical spots until you get Storm. Any remaining points are up to you, you can go try and get Gut in Tactics, or put more points into Shield to be tankier.

This probably isn't the optimal build, but I used to to get to 46 so far and have only died once while leveling.. to 2 gold mobs.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips, I'm just starting out a Vanguard too and this helps.

For leveling, is it better to go with the Endurance heavy items or Aim? A lot of the mods will either be 10 Aim / 8 Endurance or 12 Endurance / 6 Aim. It seems like Aric does the most damage and I just stand there soaking it up, so I'm not sure if I should be tankier or more damage.