The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT dps vs. Merc dps

Letsjet

I think while everyone agrees that Powertech is better for pvp mostly because of instant cast, Merc gunnery (maybe pyro but I'm not sure) can do one of the highest dps in the game still in PvE. Mercs are only always complained about by their own players because I guess people seem to think that warzone performance is representative of overall performance. Personally warzones are just a mingame for enjoyment (and for others an ego trip), and operations is where the real game is.

In terms of enjoyment, I find pyrotech powertech extremly boring (advanced prototype is more fun, but worse results). You literally only use maximum 5 different abilities (thermal det is dps loss in Pve) and for the most part it's just flame burst > rapid shots until you get another rail shot.

Gunnery is in a way similar, very few abilities in core rotation, however for me it's balanced out by the awesome Heatseeker missile animation which I look forward to everytime off cooldown.

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

Does a PT or a Merc have better PvE dps?

If one does, is it by alot or a little?

It is commonly suggested that mercs are better dps for pve and powertechs are better dps for pvp. I would have to agree. Although powertechs do more damage than mercs in pve, powertechs are a melee class. This game isn't very melee friendly and some raid groups would take an equal skilled marauder over a powertech because marauders do more damage and have better group utility. Mercs, however, will rarely get passed over, even for a sniper, because although they do a little less damage than snipers, they have better raid utility.

Mercs, however, will rarely get passed over, even for a sniper, because although they do a little less damage than snipers, they have better raid utility.

Mercs have no interrupt, and they armor pen debuff is 15% as compared to snipers 20%, I think? What buffs do bounty hunters get along merc and pt lines?

Also, I know movement is important in Ops. does a consistant PT dps overtake a turret channelled merc dps on those fights?

Mercs have no interrupt, and they armor pen debuff is 15% as compared to snipers 20%, I think? What buffs do bounty hunters get along merc and pt lines?

Also, I know movement is important in Ops. does a consistant PT dps overtake a turret channelled merc dps on those fights?

Mercs apply a 20% armour debuff too, and keep it up without having to think about it as it's just part of their rotation. Snipers have to put it up intentionally and a lot of them seem to forget to do this, and those in lethality build don't need to for a higher dps.

And to answer your last question, I personally beat the mercs in my guild on every fight in HM EC. The fights in HM EC don't seem very melee unfriendly as there isn't too much movement apart from the last boss.