WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

Are all of those "succesful" from a long term business sence?

One assumes they are if they've stayed up. MMOs that don't turn profits aren't kept running for years on end.

All of them can turn profits on smaller subscriber bases because they're not the most expensive game ever made, as TOR is. TOR needed a frankly ludicrous amount of subscribers out of the gate to remain even remotely worth the cash sunk into it.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't he/she count outside europe and NA?

For subs in asia, they make more money than our normal subs.

No. They don't.

For example, I would suggest around half of the 9.1 mill quoted are players in China, where the game does not have a subscription fee. Chinese players simply connect to the service and pay per minute, around 1p per minute or something like that. They do not hold a subscription and do not pay a monthly subscription fee. They pay as they play, via their ISP.

Blizzard include these players within their "subscriber" numbers which is obviously done to massage the true sub number. Blizz also include players who bought a 1 year pass months ago but have since quite the game entirely. That is how they arrive a 9.1 mill "subscribers". It's just spin, the same as EA were doing...

It just amazes me people seem to think its just EA that does this, and that WoW really does have 9.1mill "subscribers" lol.

Driz

So Star Wars Galaxies was succesful because it lasted for 8 Years but got shut down before Tor released?

It was profitable, and it will not shock me if it winds up making more of a net profit during its lifespan than TOR does. I'd be surprised if TOR had made back its production costs at this point. 500 million's a lot of money.

Yes WoW has microtransactions, a cash shop and is still pay to play.

Now which MMO has endless free trials, had the biggest budget, had four big names backing them and tons of hype...

And still went F2P? What game is that?!

WoW has an endless free trial. BTW MoP will be the last expac to wow.

Furthermore I wouldnt go back to wow if they paid ME the 15 per month, and I played since launch until cata.

Edited by TrakonBazzaak

What has that got to do with anything? I commented on the fact that you quoted 9.1 mill subs as if it was a fact?

Are you saying you actually believe that the number is 9.1 mill and not more like 4 mill?

/cute :)

Driz

so using you logic

Swtor has well under the 500k golden number and that they fudged the numbers to sound better ie 500k to 1 million

is this the reason the game is now free to play and the biggest flop in mmo history.... bigger than the WAR flop and that saying somthing.. oh yeah isnt WAR a EA title as well

i see a pattern forming here

Imagine what would EA do to have MMO with 9 million subscribers after 7 years ......

TOR went F2P faster than AOC with all the budget invested in this game of like 200 million dollars.

I thought TOR was adding a F2P limited option with a cash shop?

I didnt realise they were binning their standard sub model....oh wait.

Driz

I thought TOR was adding a F2P limited option with a cash shop?

I didnt realise they were binning their standard sub model....oh wait.

Driz

a sub model in a free to play game with a cash shop.... you mean its going to a a sub with a cash shop lumped onto it so you pay out more money lol

wake up dude your been robbed

Coulda, Woulda, Shoula, Maybe...

Come on guys. It's a simple question.

Which game is free 2 play?

WoW or SWTOR?

Coulda, Woulda, Shoula, Maybe...

Come on guys. It's a simple question.

Which game dares tobe free 2 play?

Which game charges a fortune for fluff (anyone want a sparkle pony) and insists on you having a sub.

WoW or SWTOR?

Edited by Shingara

so using you logic

Swtor has well under the 500k golden number and that they fudged the numbers to sound better ie 500k to 1 million

is this the reason the game is now free to play and the biggest flop in mmo history.... bigger than the WAR flop and that saying somthing.. oh yeah isnt WAR a EA title as well

i see a pattern forming here

Of course they will have fudged it so some degree? However this game does not have the Asian players does it??

So the scope for fudging is nowhere near as big as the scope that Blizz has. I would suggest the actual number of subs for TOR is around 750k -1 Million. I would suggest the actual number of subs for WoW is around 4 million. See how that works?

Driz

Of course they will have fudged it so some degree? However this game does not have the Asian players does it??

So the scope for fudging is nowhere near as big as the scope that Blizz has. I would suggest the actual number of subs for TOR is around 750k -1 Million. I would suggest the actual number of subs for WoW is around 4 million. See how that works?

Driz

no your lashing wows sub numbers but not doing the same for swtor

EA said they are above 500k but dropped below 1million

so if they fudge like you think blizzard has, then swtor should be 250k - 500k subs

using your logic

a sub model in a free to play game with a cash shop.... you mean its going to a a sub with a cash shop lumped onto it so you pay out more money lol

wake up dude your been robbed

How am I being robbed? I will continue to pay my £10 a month and will have access to all current and future game content in addition to faster content patches (apparently) and also a free amount of cartel coins per month?

So my sub price stays the same and I am getting more for the price? Not only that but my server is always really busy and busstling with players too...

I do not think the word robbed means what you think it means...

Driz

no your lashing wows sub numbers but not doing the same for swtor

EA said they are above 500k but dropped below 1million

so if they fudge like you think blizzard has, then swtor should be 250k - 500k subs

using your logic

No they didnt, they said break even point was 500k and they were well above it, and they were just under 1 mil.

WoWs numbers have been fudged since they went into china, know why, cos china dont have subs and they are the bulk of wows playerbase. On the highest count wow outside of china counted for 4.6 mil actual subs all the others were pay by the hour none subs.

SWTOR doesnt have any pay by the hours so all subs are actual subs.

Driz

TOR launched in Asian- Pacific area but it didnt got much subs there, and every sub count.

And btw AOC still have sub option for the players which want to sub for that game just like TOR will have when it goes F2P , so it will be same model as the one in AOC.

Edited by Lunablade

How am I being robbed? I will continue to pay my £10 a month and will have access to all current and future game content in addition to faster content patches (apparently) and also a free amount of cartel coins per month?

So my sub price stays the same and I am getting more for the price? Not only that but my server is always really busy and busstling with players too...

Driz

Not only that but I love how all you haters ignore the F2P success stories. DDO / LOTRO / CO all have a hybrid model with a F2P option alongside a traditional monthly sun which gives full access to the game.

All of these games have expanded and are more profitable since adding in a F2P option ALONGSIDE their traditional sub.

But I tell you what, just ignore half of the facts and salient points because they do not suit your teenage hate agenda. That would be the credible thing to do....gg

Driz

I would like to remind the Community Managers of how they used to lock so many posts in the past. Apparently, they only lock inconvenient posts:

Greetings!

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We have closed this thread as the discussion primarily focuses on other games. Please ensure that topics in General Discussion relate to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks!

Edited by vandana_

No they didnt, they said break even point was 500k and they were well above it, and they were just under 1 mil.

WoWs numbers have been fudged since they went into china, know why, cos china dont have subs and they are the bulk of wows playerbase. On the highest count wow outside of china counted for 4.6 mil actual subs all the others were pay by the hour none subs.

SWTOR doesnt have any pay by the hours so all subs are actual subs.

Quoted for Truth....

Love the way the WoW kids try and ignore / deny this fact. At least the subs that TOR reports are actual, real, paying subscribers....

Driz

Driz

so you think they will pump out content and that EA are going to leave you alone and just let you pay your sub

if your willing to pay for a sub in a free to play game then as far as they look at it, what else are you willing to pay for?

also a sub for unlimited acces to warzone/flashpoint and Ops is worth it?????

think i'll stick to my panda and my monthly sub and not have to worrie that my game isnt going to turn into a pay to win model 6 months after f2p hits.

you can defend this game as much as you want, but lets open this thread in 3 months time.

lets see what swtors number will be like, now that the 6 month subs have run out and then compair it to WoWs subs numbers who has just had a major xpac, im thinking they will pick up most of them 1.1million back if not more