WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

Zomg!!

F2P game with a cash shop.

So that means they are admitting the game failed even before release?

Wow...

Driz

Ow no, i think that cash shop sells xp boosts, crafting stuff and vanity items, OMG :eek:

Double shocker, i think you will have to buy dlc content packs too :csw_jabbapet:

Edited by Shingara

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nothing like LotRO. It's like Age of Conan.

LotRO is three tiers and subscribers keep most of what they've unlocked as far as inventory or virtue slots or whatnot if they end their sub and drop to mid-tier.

AoC has two tiers and you lose everything you've gained if you let your sub lapse.

For the number of times I've repeated this I should make a thread. But I don't want to.

Still, we can agree that TORs model will be have a VIP element in that if you pay a monthlly sub you get access to all content, current and future. Or you can pay as you go...

So TORs model is almost identicle to LOTROs.

Driz

A game, with a relatively meagre budget (DIII) is a failure for outright selling NINE MILLION COPIES.

Sure.

Lol...how many people are still playing it. How you read their forums lately?

They sold 9 mill copies of the reputation of the IP and quality of previous Diablo games.

They would not sell 900k if people knew what they know now, prior to launch. And people reckon EA are bad.

They used that reputation to peddle a half baked, bug ridden, bot infested cash grab that forces players to spend real money to progress. Once you have spent your money they then nerf your items so you have to spend more.

Way to treat your loyal fans Blizz.

Driz

Still, we can agree that TORs model will be have a VIP element in that if you pay a monthlly sub you get access to all content, current and future. Or you can pay as you go...

Driz

TOR's Model is not really like LOTRO's, in the sense that you have to buy quest packs in LOTRO just to level to max level.

What's puzzling me is that TOR is giving the best part of the game away for free, levels 1-50 story. That's the crown jewel of this game.

If they had any business sense they'd make level 50 warzones and ops F2P and make people pay to level up to 50 : P

Lol...how many people are still playing it. How you read their forums lately?

They sold 9 mill copies of the reputation of the IP and quality of previous Diablo games.

They would not sell 900k if people knew what they know now, prior to launch. And people reckon EA are bad.

They used that reputation to peddle a half baked, bug ridden, bot infested cash grab that forces players to spend real money to progress. Once you have spent your money they then nerf your items so you have to spend more.

Way to treat your loyal fans Blizz.

Driz

I wonder how many gamers will purchase future BW games based on their current reputation after their debacles with DA2 and TOR.

We have no idea how big the dev team is but we know its still one of the biggest in the industry. Shedding devs after launch is no new thing as even wow did it, the devs that were shedded from bliz created Arenanet and the peeps who made hellgate london.

Of course the budget is cut, they dont have as many devs or csrs any more and are going to have reduced server costs due to making bigger servers but less of.

Someone who understands the difference between building an MMO and maintaining it posot launch.

Of course things could be better for TOR but I love how you leave out salient facts like even post lay offs the game has one of the biggest dev teams in the industry just because it sounds worse and therefore suits your agenda.

If people are gonna bash thats fine but at least be objective.

Driz

Except that Diablo III, like many games, console or PC, iis more on the ''one time affair'' side than ''long time investment''.

Who cares that Diablo III have ''lost'' 90 of the playerbase ? It's not a sub game, and you don't even have to be in groups for most of it !

Driz

No.

We do not know that for sure.

We know if you pay a sub, you'll have access to all content currently in the game. Nowhere have they promised that you will have access to all future content just because you pay a subscription.

Someone who understands the difference between building an MMO and maintaining it posot launch.

Of course things could be better for TOR but I love how you leave out salient facts like even post lay offs the game has one of the biggest dev teams in the industry just because it sounds worse and therefore suits your agenda.

If people are gonna bash thats fine but at least be objective.

Driz

Did you mean to quote me and say that to me ?

WOW will eventually go to a hybrid F2P/sub model in time. Probably at least another year and a half. It all depends on how much they drag out content. (Cata dragged heavily with the year break between Deathwing)

While WOW has always been the outlier, the market has shifted. The F2P model is the accepted model in the MMO industry now. Just like $15 a month was established in Everquest so many years ago.

While TOR going F2P before even a year is up is indeed sad, it just reinforces the notion that the game should have launched with a F2P system from the get go.

No.

We do not know that for sure.

We know if you pay a sub, you'll have access to all content currently in the game. Nowhere have they promised that you will have access to all future content just because you pay a subscription.

To charge a VIP / Freemium sub AND make subscribers pay AGAIN for content would be suicide....so thats pure speculation that you pulled out your arse.

Is that a genuine critiscism? Smacks of desperation to me :) As if even EA would charge premium subscribers for content thet are already paying for....we are not dealing with a Blizz "nerf items they already bought so they have to buy them again" model here you know :)

Driz

You dont dis-agree with my appraisal of Blizz approach to Diablo 3 then?

ad-hominem is ad-hominem...

Driz

The difference is that WoW is not debacle and TOR is one of the bigest debacles in MMO history judging by the budget spended on this game , from the supposed WoW killer into the game which had to change its payment model so fast after launch.

And besides I just wanted to show you how what youre saying for Diablo 3 can be stated in the same way for DA2 and TOR that many players bought those games based on Bioware past reputation and ended disappointed in the end when they got subpar products.

Edited by Lunablade

You mean a massive budget and a 10 year development cycle...

Driz

DIII budget was around 90-100 million overall from what I heard, and the 10 years development cycle is ridiculous. This is the amount of time between DII and DIII. They were not working on the game those 10 years.

So wow lost 1.1 means tor is successfull ? Dont get me wrong i still love it , will be subbed after the f2p but we all have to admit the game has failed. F2P means failure admit it ppl:mad:

sshhhh....don't let the GW2 fanbois hear you say that.

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

To charge a VIP / Freemium sub AND make subscribers pay AGAIN for content would be suicide....so thats pure speculation that you pulled out your arse.

It's basically what LOTRO does, you can save up, of course, but not if you want everything.

You dont dis-agree with my appraisal of Blizz approach to Diablo 3 then?

ad-hominem is ad-hominem...

Driz

you do know that WAR is still a p2p game and has been form launch and is only free upto able lvl 15, which covers T! RVR, it also has unlimited accounts for trail so you can just play in T1, if you want to move out and see the rest of the game you need to be a full sub.

swtor is giving away 1-50 over 50% of its gameplay and then expects players to sub for OP and flashpoints and warzones thats sounds great

The difference is that WoW is not debacle and TOR is one of the bigest debacles in MMO history judging by the budget spended on this game , from the supposed WoW killer into the game which had to change its payment model so fast after launch.

And besides I just wanted to show you how what youre saying for Diablo 3 can be stated in the same way for DA2 and TOR that many players bought those games based on Bioware past reputation and ended disappointed in the end when they got subpar products.

I was more referring to the frankly dishonest and disgraceful way that Blizz treat their fans is equally on par with anything that EA have ever done. The blatant cash cow that is D3 tells you all you need to know about Blizz philosophy on quality products. Add to that the way their CMs even troll their own fans on the official forums and....well....I would rather stick with BW tbh....

Driz

sshhhh....don't let the GW2 fanbois hear you say that.

Driz

GW2 is a B2P game, you buy it and you play it, the shop has nothing but vanity items just like GW1 had.

i give swtor 6 months free to play before it becomes a pay to win game like lotrs and other f2p titles

F2P in less than a year is epic fail. These mmo guys failed at running a traditional mmo. They gonna suck even more at trying F2P.

People like you need to learn to shut their mouths.

More and more MMO's are going F2P now, soon enough all of them will be. With the gaming market on the Decline its the only way games can stay afloat. Im guessing by the end of this year, maybe end of 2013, all Major games will have gone F2P up to a point.

I was more referring to the frankly dishonest and disgraceful way that Blizz treat their fans is equally on par with anything that EA have ever done. The blatant cash cow that is D3 tells you all you need to know about Blizz philosophy on quality products. Add to that the way their CMs even troll their own fans on the official forums and....well....I would rather stick with BW tbh....

Driz

You are on crack.

Diablo3 isn't a perfect game by any stretch but it's decent enough, and Blizzard certainly hasn't been "dishonest" or "disgraceful" towards their customers.