F2P Can't Invest in the game like Subscription (BW VP Quote)

DarthTHC

This is from an interview with Dr. Z in joystiq in late December 2011:

"I'm not saying it's better or worse. It just doesn't supplant the other things. 'Cause we can do some things no one else can," Zeschuk added. In his eyes, a free-to-play dev isn't able to throw the same amount of resources and time at an MMO project, and that marks a big differentiation between the two business models. "The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create," he said. The idea that free-to-play will take over all other MMO business models, he said is, "from a business perspective, ridiculous."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera

Predicting thread closure for excessive truthiness in 3... 2.... 1....

I've never seen a #2 pencil with out an erasure and that's because people by nature get it wrong sometimes.

I would say the landscape of MMOs and F2P games have change pretty dramatically in the last year. When they started developing this game were there any F2P mmos? I think that with the metrics out there to support F2P, we're gonna see more of F2P mmos. Great find all the same. He's got to be regretting that comment; always sucks when you get hoisted on your own petard.

I actually liked the game. I was ready to renew my subscription (month-to-month this time) until F2P was announced. I don't like F2P/Microtransactions and I especially don't like them in EA's hands.

Mmm..... I was going to renew for another 6 month sub, but it seems a little silly to do so now.

I've never seen a #2 pencil with out an erasure and that's because people by nature get it wrong sometimes.

I would say the landscape of MMOs and F2P games have change pretty dramatically in the last year. When they started developing this game were there any F2P mmos? I think that with the metrics out there to support F2P, we're gonna see more of F2P mmos. Great find all the same. He's got to be regretting that comment; always sucks when you get hoisted on your own petard.

Had they been able to do all the things he said they were going to do, the game would have so many subscribers they'd be bathing in Jeffersons.

The problem is not that he was wrong about the subscription model being sustainable but that he was wrong about what his development staff was capable of. Things like producing a polished game. Things like releasing a lot of content quickly.