The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

August Game Update

BraxKedren

Tbh, we should blame Lotro for this F2P madness. That game was almost dead, but they did created a F2P model who was really successful from any point of view, i mean is a P2P game with a F2P option, now the game is more alive than ever and getting expansion and regular content updates. I think Turbine and Lotro has changed the P2P model for ever. With that f2p model, Ea and BW will earn and insane amount of money and new subs, so even when swtor have almost 1 mill of subs, and probably more people will come back with the 1.4 and more content, is nothing compared with the ¨insane¨ amount of money that, like i said, EA and BW will earn with this new F2P model.

Well seemingly LOTROs active account numbers are back to around pre-F2P levels.

And I do disagree that LOTRO has got more or better content than when it was subscription (although RoR looks good if it is as good as it looks), LOTRO got a vast amount of free content when it was subscription as well as one huge expansion and one expansion that was still easily the match of the one F2P one it has had since.

Personally I can't see SWTOR getting an Jump To Lightspeed type expansion with F2P anymore than I can see LOTRO getting an expansion the size, depth or quality of MoM with F2P. :(

subs are a price......

Someone's gotto pay for it. If you are not willing to pay anything it will mean advertisment. Would you prefer Coca Cola and tampon commercials in your game or just pay for a product? Honestly, why do people think that everything should be completely free? Nobody's gonna make games if there's not a buck to be made. There's no such thing as free. F2P just means no sub, doesn't mean everything's free. Get with it.

Someone's gotto pay for it. If you are not willing to pay anything it will mean advertisment. Would you prefer Coca Cola and tampon commercials in your game or just pay for a product? Honestly, why do people think that everything should be completely free? Nobody's gonna make games if there's not a buck to be made. There's no such thing as free. F2P just means no sub, doesn't mean everything's free. Get with it.

Well Linux does a reasonable job of quality and free (as in beer).

Tbh, we should blame Lotro for this F2P madness. That game was almost dead, but they did created a F2P model who was really successful from any point of view, i mean is a P2P game with a F2P option, now the game is more alive than ever and getting expansion and regular content updates. I think Turbine and Lotro has changed the P2P model for ever. With that f2p model, Ea and BW will earn and insane amount of money and new subs, so even when swtor have almost 1 mill of subs, and probably more people will come back with the 1.4 and more content, is nothing compared with the ¨insane¨ amount of money that, like i said, EA and BW will earn with this new F2P model.

LOTRO is back to where they were pre-F2P. F2P is not a successful model, it helps in the short run but in the long run it still turns out bad. http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Nothing will be restricted to paid subs. They said it wont change for us

Read his quote again......

Quote: Originally Posted by Galvatron

Aug we will see patch 1.4 and in nov 1.5.. It doesn't matter when they release the content it still be restricted to paid subs..

He's says that all new content will only be available to people who sub to the game. It's exactly what you said .

According to an interview yesterday there 1.4 isn't hitting in August - it's not even on the horizon. I put the whole interview into another thread - you can read for yourself

Quote:

MAKEB AND OTHER CONTENT = FREE?

I asked Matt and Jeff then if the planned content we learned about at E3 would be some of the first "Content Updates" to be purchased, and they couldn't go into much more detail than "yes and no". For instance, HK51 is something they really want to get in the game sooner rather than later, while Makeb is further down the line. They also have a brand new event for all subscribers coming in August which is a public world event like the Rhakgoul Invasion. I asked if HK51 would then be free for everyone, if he came before the F2P launch, and Jeff said they really haven't decided because they're not even sure when he's going to launch just yet. The goal is to work on the content and get it out as soon as they can, and if some comes after the F2P transition, then they'll evaluate what is free and what is paid.

According to an interview yesterday there 1.4 isn't hitting in August - it's not even on the horizon. I put the whole interview into another thread - you can read for yourself

Quote:

MAKEB AND OTHER CONTENT = FREE?

I asked Matt and Jeff then if the planned content we learned about at E3 would be some of the first "Content Updates" to be purchased, and they couldn't go into much more detail than "yes and no". For instance, HK51 is something they really want to get in the game sooner rather than later, while Makeb is further down the line. They also have a brand new event for all subscribers coming in August which is a public world event like the Rhakgoul Invasion. I asked if HK51 would then be free for everyone, if he came before the F2P launch, and Jeff said they really haven't decided because they're not even sure when he's going to launch just yet. The goal is to work on the content and get it out as soon as they can, and if some comes after the F2P transition, then they'll evaluate what is free and what is paid.

The event sounds nice, but again it might be the last we see, as you can't sell events in the cashshop. :(