The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My problem with Tactics.

I was SS for awhile, but I decided to take Tactics for a spin. I love it, so dynamic and fun to play. There's one huge problem. I have the survivability of a paper bag.

Out of every class and spec I've played this has to be the hardest for staying alive. People seem to focus on you, especially when you have Hold the Line up with that orange circle at your feet. AS/Pyro atleast has it's crazy burst. You can kill some thing in five seconds you really don't need that many defensive CDs. Tactics on the other hand doesn't burst as well. I try to kite as much as possible, and I do good dmg when I stay alive. I'm hoping it gets better with gear. (only three WH pieces)

Any experienced Tactics/AP have tips? :rak_02:

Edited by HeavensTerror

You might experiment with the 'Tibetan Candle' build (see the sticky Tactics thread here). The basic idea is to use Plasma Cell and put points into Assault: Ionized Ignition so that your Ion Pulse applies the Plasma Cell DoT with a 33-100% chance, depending on how many points you invest. The Tibetan Candle build actually goes to Tier 2 of Assault and has points in Assault: Superheated Plasma to further increase the damage done by the DoT and also increase the chance that your other attacks will apply the DoT. However, you will have to manage your ammo better than when running High Energy Cell as you won't have the benefit of Tactics: Cell Generator anymore.

I run a variation of this except I invest points elsewhere (Shield: Steely Resolve, for instance) such that while my DoT doesn't do quite as much damage nor is it applied as often on other attacks (I do go 3 points into Assault: Ionized Ignition to ensure Ion Pulse always applies it), my attacks in general hit harder up front. Just a personal preference as I'm going for more of a "NORS (No Rail Shot) with Fire" build; however, I've tried the as listed Tibetan Candle build and can attest to its effectiveness.

Well, I haven't actually used Tactics on a Vanguard yet, but I run it on my Powertech (Advanced Prototype) all the time, it may not have as good burst as Assault, but for the likes of PvP it's great for when you get a bunch of enemys grouped and use Ion cannon with the 5 stacks, you can do some serious damage, also it's easy to get the 5 stacks if you use your explosive surge while on the move to build up stacks.

My Powertech is only level 45, but with 5 stacks and Prototype Flamethrower i've managed to crit like 2ks on 5 people trying to defuse a bomb in Voidstar, it's very fun :)

I decided to change my build a bit. I feel it works better. 8/31/2

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc/#801bZhMoMZMsr0Rrfkds.2

Pretty much I just speced both Power Armor and Rebraced Armor.

You might consider Shield: Static Field instead of Rebraced Armor. With 2 points invested, you're decreasing the damage output of any target by 5%. This, stacked with Power Armor's 2% damage reduction, means your target is doing 7% less damage to you for all damage types. Armor only mitigates 2-of-4 damage types.

You can also use Explosive Surge (which as mentioned in the post above, also has the benefit of helping build Pulse Generator stacks) to apply Static Field to multiple target's given it is an AoE attack.

Static Shield's debuff also benefits your team because no matter who the debuffed target attacks, they're doing 5% less damage.