Crafting Gear and Modding questions.

Pdubya

Hi guys, I would like to state first I read a few different threads and could not find the answer to my question.

When it comes to crafting pieces of armor, do all the high end pieces come without any mods? Also is there a way to craft the gear with mods?

If all gear is created un modded, then can someone help me understand why I would bother with crafting the item in the first place?

IE I am looking at high end pvp gear and pve gear.

This is all a little murky to me......

When it comes to crafting gear.

There are different schematics. Some schematics will show up in your crafting window in orange text. And will result in an orange item. Other schematics are green/blue/purple, and will result in green/blue/purple items.

For the most part, when you craft an orange item, you end up with an empty shell with no mods. (exception being weapons, for some reason they come with a very low level color crystal in them.. possibly weapons don't work w/o a color crystal?)

When you craft a green/blue/purple item, you end up with a "finished" unmoddable item.

Now, we come to the 1.2 gear that can be researched to learn the schematic. My understanding is when you research a moddable item, you learn a schematic for the orange version of the item. Presumably the only reason to craft that item is if you happen to have a buyer that likes the look. If you research an unmodded item, then you would learn the "finished" version of that item. Presumably to sell or what have you.

The vast majority of the 1.2 armor/etc. is moddable. Hence, armor crafters didn't get much out of it. (now, cybertechs/artifice can supposedly RE a lot of the mods out of those moddable items, which is presumably great for them)

Edited by GnatB

Thank you very much for the reply!

So it would seem if I go into crafting I need to be able to craft the orange gear and craft the mods.

A bit of work but could be worth it.

Edited by Pdubya