The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank Build

Does this work well for tanking?

28/11/2

I've been tanking on my powertech for a while now, actually just made a second one on a new server and am almost level 50 again.

I have to say that without Heat Blast you will be running into more heat issues then you would care too. The reduction to your heat may seem minor but it will increase your DPS (i have tested this with the ACT meter) and help quite a lot with threat.

Taking retracting blade may seem like a good idea but if you try and put it in any kind of rotation you will overheat VERY quickly. I tried this myself months ago after release thinking I could help DPS while tanking and it just didnt work. My DPS actually dropped by taking Retracting Blade due to overheating. I am not saying you couldnt make it work ... but your threat per second may suffer.

I've been tanking on my powertech for a while now, actually just made a second one on a new server and am almost level 50 again.

I have to say that without Heat Blast you will be running into more heat issues then you would care too. The reduction to your heat may seem minor but it will increase your DPS (i have tested this with the ACT meter) and help quite a lot with threat.

Taking retracting blade may seem like a good idea but if you try and put it in any kind of rotation you will overheat VERY quickly. I tried this myself months ago after release thinking I could help DPS while tanking and it just didnt work. My DPS actually dropped by taking Retracting Blade due to overheating. I am not saying you couldnt make it work ... but your threat per second may suffer.

Thanks for the helpful information! My mind is still be hide DPS, DPS, and more DPS but I see what your saying!

So this would be the most likely one then?

31/10

The Advanced Tools is a great talent, I use Flamethrower on cooldown and can see the benefit in reducing the cooldown to 15 seconds. not to mention Grapple, but in all honesty you will get a bigger threat/damage boost from putting those 2 points into Iron Fist. The +8% damage to Rocket Punch goes a LONG ways for us tanks who end up using it about every 4.5 seconds due to the Flame Shield talent.

Two great minds think alike. This is the one that I use. One difference is that I use rail loaders over Power Armor to get more DPS. But building the pefect tank makes me now consider Power Armor more.

If building the "perfect" tank is your goal, then you would use: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/powertech/#::e2fe10fe2f2e3f2ef11ef10ef11

With the DPS nerfs, talent nerfs, threat boost, etc we are not required to push out max DPS anymore, but should be pushing for solid defensive stats, that includes endurance. There are some other threads in the Operations forum about the value of endurance and projected outcomes for Nightmare and TfB release.

This is the spec I run, I still do solid DPS, and can tank anything in my way.