The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Assault vs Shield(Leveling)

ckoneful

Is Shield really superior? Going Assault so far because DPS specs are usually the best in other games I've played so I'm curious, because I hear Shield is better for leveling constantly. Is the damage loss worth it?

Also, how is it damage-wise in pvp vs Assault?

Edited by ckoneful

Most people only level one spec so it's not the easiest question to answer. I leveled as pure pve shield spec and have never had an issue even for a second. It feels a little slow but I leveled along side a guild mate that went vanguard dps. We were on Hoth at the same time and finished identically with every section, so I don't know if he goes slow or if the trade off of not taking damage means less downtime equals things out.

Leveling shield spec defi itself feels slow, however it's very steady impacts as you very rarely die, very rarely heal, and are almost always needed in groups.

Most people only level one spec so it's not the easiest question to answer. I leveled as pure pve shield spec and have never had an issue even for a second. It feels a little slow but I leveled along side a guild mate that went vanguard dps. We were on Hoth at the same time and finished identically with every section, so I don't know if he goes slow or if the trade off of not taking damage means less downtime equals things out.

Leveling shield spec defi itself feels slow, however it's very steady impacts as you very rarely die, very rarely heal, and are almost always needed in groups.

Ended up going Shield and loving it. Didn't know Storm was specific to it. I doubt I'll respec until 50 as I'm an unkillable... killing machine. >_>

Thanks for the input though, and I did notice a small difference in kill times but I think it's made up for by having absolutely no down time.

My one and only 50 so far is a Sith Marauder. DPS, and I loved it, and had no problem soloing my class line, didn't even need to overlevel or obsess about gear, so I figured that for trooper I'd go Commando, and Merc for BH. No brainer, right? Didn't work out that way. Hated those lines, went Powertech on BH and Vanguard on Trooper. 34 PT Pyro, and 38 Vanguard defense, at the moment.

It has been far easier, and far more enjoyable leveling my Vanguard in defense, than in any other tree. I respec every few levels because I still want to DPS, yet, somehow defense feels like a stronger DPS class than, say, Assault. This feeling probably revolves around the fact that in defense spec I can take often solo H2+'s as long as I am a few levels above, and I simply can't outside of defense / shield spec.

Not to mention that my class quests have been no troulbe whatsover in Defense. I very much want to be a DPSer, but I am really just enjoying being able to go whereever I like, and do pretty much what I want as a defense.

For gear I am in all orange gear except my belt, and I deep my mods up pretty well, mixing commendations with purple armor / mods / barrels purchased from the GTN. But, by no means am I "maxed" out every level. Also, I keep my companions gear up as well.

When I am over level for the content, I run with a DPS companion, and when I am same, or underlevel, I run with the Doc.

My one and only 50 so far is a Sith Marauder. DPS, and I loved it, and had no problem soloing my class line, didn't even need to overlevel or obsess about gear, so I figured that for trooper I'd go Commando, and Merc for BH. No brainer, right? Didn't work out that way. Hated those lines, went Powertech on BH and Vanguard on Trooper. 34 PT Pyro, and 38 Vanguard defense, at the moment.

It has been far easier, and far more enjoyable leveling my Vanguard in defense, than in any other tree. I respec every few levels because I still want to DPS, yet, somehow defense feels like a stronger DPS class than, say, Assault. This feeling probably revolves around the fact that in defense spec I can take often solo H2+'s as long as I am a few levels above, and I simply can't outside of defense / shield spec.

Not to mention that my class quests have been no troulbe whatsover in Defense. I very much want to be a DPSer, but I am really just enjoying being able to go whereever I like, and do pretty much what I want as a defense.

For gear I am in all orange gear except my belt, and I deep my mods up pretty well, mixing commendations with purple armor / mods / barrels purchased from the GTN. But, by no means am I "maxed" out every level. Also, I keep my companions gear up as well.

When I am over level for the content, I run with a DPS companion, and when I am same, or underlevel, I run with the Doc.

I've finished Act 2 and I'm just starting to work on Act 3 as Assault and I never fall below 50% and I never stop to reload unless i accidentally burned too much ammo. There's no down time as assault with decent mods, and it kills twice as fast as Shield. Though, I will admit I cannot solo Heroics but I just wait til I overlevel them if they actually have something I want(Which is extremely rare.)

EDIT: Though Elara is in full oranges and I update all my mods on each planet and she gets all my old ones so she's also always pretty geared.

Edited by ckoneful