The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveled to 50 as Assault... just respec'd Shield.

Toogeloo

I need some tips, including some spec advice, for PvE tanking. I know it was probably a mistake to learn to start tanking at 50, but it's too late now. I have a Healer and a DPS already, I kind of wanted to have a tank for the trinity.

One of the first things I noticed is that it feels like I went from only needing to worry about 10 abilities as Assault DPS (in most fights):

Hammer Shot

Ion Pulse

Stockstrike

Incendiary Round

Assault Plastique

High Impact Bolt

Riot Strike

Recharge Cells

Reserve Cell

Battle Focus

...plus the occasional AoE for AoE DPS.

To needing all the above (sans Assault Abilities IncenRound and AssPlast) and...

Neural Jolt

Sonic Round

Harpoon

Storm

Explosive Surge

Energy Blast

Smoke Grenade

Adrenaline Rush

Reactive Shield

...plus any other AoEs like Mortar Volley, Sticky Grenade, or Pulse Cannon for AoE threat generation.

I did successfully tank a few Hard Mode Flashpoints today, but it was a bit ugly as I fumbled with the best ways to engage and hold agro. I also tried tanking the Heroic 4 in Black Hole and it was just downright ugly as I got knocked and pulled around everywhere, making holding agro (and generally even doing any abilties) on everything a ridiculous effort.

I could use some help learning which rotations I should focus on, what is largely unnecessary in the stock of abilities I have (or at least extremely situational), and just some general tips on engaging and performing well.

Holding threat usually isn't too tough, particularly with the boost to threat generation we got in 1.3. If you're having trouble holding threat, fire your taunts more, and/or put Guard on whoever is pulling aggro.

I actually find Vanguard PVE Tank one of the least-ability-using classes, but that might just be because of the way I have things categorized in my head ("defensive cooldowns" is pretty much all one bin, for example).

Items within each category not in any particular order

High use: (easy hotkeys, like 1-6)

Stockstrike

Ion Pulse

Energy Blast

High Impact Bolt

Hammer Shot

Riot Strike

Neural Jolt

Medium use: (harder hotkeys, like SHIFT1-SHIFT6, SHIFT-X, SHIFT-C, SHIFT-V)

Smoke Grenade, Adrenaline Rush, Reactive Shield (defensive cooldowns)

Pulse Cannon

Full Auto

Battle Focus

Sonic Round

Rare use: (keys 7-0, -, +, or just click. Some of these abilities I won't use every fight, or just once at the start)

Recharge Cells, Reserve Cell (only need these if you mess up ammo management)

Harpoon, Storm (mostly for opening fights)

Explosive Surge, Mortar Volley, Sticky Grenade, Explosive Round (awful for single target DPS, which is about all you really care about. Yes, they're good against trash, but trash is usually easy. Explosive round is just bad all around, the only time I have used it in the last month is goofing around tanking Sorno up on his awning.)

Cryo Grenade (bosses are immune)

Edited by CitizenFry