The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can I get a strictly Tanking build?

JohnFante

Hey guys, wondering if any of you do a straight up tank build that is good for leveling solo, flashpoints, and pvp. I want to be a useful tank in flashpoints, not run into trouble leveling solo, and i want to get some good pvp medals (using guard and such, protecting other players).

Is there a good straight up tank build for this as opposed to a hybrid? Or is that required for what I'm looking for?

If any of you guys can post your builds for what I'm looking for I'd really appreciate it!

I am currently just raged out and while it's great for owning in PVP I don't find it too useful for much else.

Edited by JohnFante
error in title.

Hey guys, wondering if any of you do a straight up tank build that is good for leveling solo, flashpoints, and pvp. I want to be a useful tank in flashpoints, not run into trouble leveling solo, and i want to get some good pvp medals (using guard and such, protecting other players).

Is there a good straight up tank build for this as opposed to a hybrid? Or is that required for what I'm looking for?

If any of you guys can post your builds for what I'm looking for I'd really appreciate it!

I am currently just raged out and while it's great for owning in PVP I don't find it too useful for much else.

Here's a basic one:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101GMGzudMdfzZZcM.2

I left free points to put in what you prefer. Decimate's nice for the extra AoE damage, and the extra force crit is nice too, but some prefer the str bonus from Dreadnaught. Some of the points I allocated are flexible too, namely 2 pts in quake (need at least one to open up the next tier), and the points in Revenge. but that's the minimum you can put in the Immortal tree and still unlock crushing blow.

For solo work though I'd probably go with the hybrid. Prior to 1.3 I'd say Immortal was fine, but the damage nerf is enough that it slows down Solo play. Doesn't impact tanking, and some people who don't mind killing slower it doesn't impact them, but I noticed the DPS loss when I was running solo...and Immortal was slow enough solo that it didn't need that hit.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101RMGzuzMZZcRrRMuzzM.2

Here's they hybrid I currently use. damage isn't bad (with a DPS companion), and you can tank anything outside NM mode content if you know what your doing. Not as much damage as full vengeance, but more damage then full immortal, and your pretty solid too. you miss some rage generation and threat from immortal, but you make up for it with the extra damage and your mitigations are almost equal (if not better with the reduced CD on scream). use Soresu for tanking or dealing with elites, use shien for regular packs. run with a DPS companion unless your soloing heroics or champions, then switch to quinn.

I stick with my tank gear for the hybrid for solo work, though if your leveling you can probably do just fine with a mix of damage and defensive stats.

Oh yeah....and torhead's class trees are jacked up atm....for some reason they have rage and vengeance trees switched. So don't be confused if you look in the far right tree and you don't see those talents there :D ...they are actually in the middle tree.

EDIT: almost forgot to say...im mostly PvE. Some of the PvP players could pipe in with changes they'd make for PvP, but the problem at that point is your going to have to sacrifice something....you can't be the best tank, the best damage, and the best at PvP all in one. But there's a thread in the forums already for a solid hybrid build. Not sure if the discussions up to date for 1.3, but it was a good solid PvP build at the time....

Edited by Elyx