The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech DPS needs CC

SteelNLead

As a level 50 powertech who was hoping to be a DPS class I'm pretty disappointing that Bioware hasn't implemented a 1 min CC such as the other classes get. Which dps are you going to choose for a group one that is DPS only or one that is DPS and CC. The give us 2 DPS trees but no viable CC to control groups of mobs a few stuns but that's hardly as effective. The Powertech class itself is great I just would like to see a CC implemented for those of us that would like to DPS with the class and be at par with the other DPS classes that have the function of dps and CC

A lot of Repub classes don't get a nice CC either. Guardian gets one for all of 6 seconds, kool eh!? Shadow gets a half decent one for when you're not in combat, totally useful in pvp.. :D & as far as *I* am aware Sentinel has none at all, also no knock back abilities.

That is a bit too much you are asking. Powertech has a 4 second stun, heavy armor and usually if played well tops the DMG list if well played. I know coz I have a lvl 50 Jedi Guardian and a lvl 50 Powertech. You may say but Guardian has more CC, true you have 2 with vigilance and 4 with Defense, but their DMG is no where near a good Powertech in advance or pyro tree. I personally play vigilance on JG and Advanced on PT and I don't think that the PT needs more CC. You are very tanky and you do a lot of dmg. With CC you would be like a sniper exept with Heavy armor. How is that fair? Thenicaly what you are asking is, give PT more CC and to compensate other classes give Guardian DMG increase and give sniper heavy armor.

In conclusion I think powertech is one of the best DMG classes with heavy armor, we really do not need any more CC. Its unreasonable to ask so just because other classes have it. We have something they don't tankyness.

That is a bit too much you are asking. Powertech has a 4 second stun, heavy armor and usually if played well tops the DMG list if well played. I know coz I have a lvl 50 Jedi Guardian and a lvl 50 Powertech. You may say but Guardian has more CC, true you have 2 with vigilance and 4 with Defense, but their DMG is no where near a good Powertech in advance or pyro tree. I personally play vigilance on JG and Advanced on PT and I don't think that the PT needs more CC. You are very tanky and you do a lot of dmg. With CC you would be like a sniper exept with Heavy armor. How is that fair? Thenicaly what you are asking is, give PT more CC and to compensate other classes give Guardian DMG increase and give sniper heavy armor.

In conclusion I think powertech is one of the best DMG classes with heavy armor, we really do not need any more CC. Its unreasonable to ask so just because other classes have it. We have something they don't tankyness.

I agree with the four second stun and the fact that PT can regularly top damage chart but, the "heavy armor" part of your argument is worthless. Most people know that heavy armor means nothing in this game. Edited by SwordofSodan

I should have been more specific, the CC would only be on the DPS trees of course NOT the tank that would just be silly. Having heavy armor doesn't mean a thing in this game so that shouldn't even be a point made, all I mean is a DPS with CC is greater then just a DPS. In flashpoints OPS when you need to CC mobs the powertech lacks this ability and will be excluded for another class, so why make 2 DPS trees in the Powertech? Bioware wanted the class to be TANK/DPS role and fill it like any other but without the CC we aren't filling that role. Also if they were to implement a CC ability to be fair it should be excluded from PVP use because I agree that would juts be pushing to far.

Powertechs are squishy as hell when you're not tank specced. If any CC is added it should be in the AP tree as I enjoy that tree for its utility's over pyro's straight DPS.

EDIT: and yes, like others are saying, armour is useless in this game as most attack types completely bypass it anyway.

Edited by WaldoA

The whole point of me stating Heavy armor is that yes its not that big of a deal, but in the end we still are tankier than Imp Agents and smugglers. Anyway i didn't explain it well so I understand the objections. On another note, this is completely my opinion. Powertech as AP is one of the hardest things to play in game to be effective. You need to know when you can go in and when you are just out matched. You need to have a really good skill rotation and a good energy management. I cannot compare to some classes as i have never tried all of them but I know that from my lvl 50 JK Guardian I find it harder to be more effective in PVP. Not DMG wise coz thats pretty easy with PT but how much I do to help my team win. Coz there is a difference between running in as a kamikaze do as much as dmg before you die, and a tactical approach that wins battles and fights or pull out key players like healers. This is all my opinion, might be because i prefer PT play-style over guardian but that's how it is i guess.

However my point still stands, I dont think PT's need more CC. If you want more CC play another class.

Edit: When i mention heavy armor i look at endurance stat not the armor stat. We have more HP than medium or light armor classes in most cases, sometimes depending what they speced. And armor worthless or not, we are still tanker. If we die in 10 sec, a DPS Imp Agent will die in around 5.

Edited by Thadris

I agree with the four second stun and the fact that PT can regularly top damage chart but, the "heavy armor" part of your argument is worthless. Most people know that heavy armor means nothing in this game.

I certainly notice the difference and survivabilty the heavy armour on my Vanguard affords me compared to the medium armour on my Scoundrel.

Lets not forget armour mitigates against 50% of the damage types in this game (Kinetic and Energy against which armour protects, the other two being internal and Elemental, which armour does not protect against) and a lot of attack abilities are kinetic and energy based. so armour actually does count for quite a bit.

Edited by Theagg

Powertechs are squishy as hell when you're not tank specced. If any CC is added it should be in the AP tree as I enjoy that tree for its utility's over pyro's straight DPS.

EDIT: and yes, like others are saying, armour is useless in this game as most attack types completely bypass it anyway.

Strictly speaking, armor does not protect against "attack types" (shields do that) but armour does offer protection against some of the kinds of damage "attack types" deal.

Specifically armour offers protection against Kinetic and Energy damage (but not Internal and Elemental) and quite a lot of "attack types" (and that means attack abilites too) dish out those two kinds of damage. see this list (and of course, the Imperial mirror abilities would do likewise) for just how many.

http://utils.lmstudio.ru/swtor/class-damage-types.html

By default, armour will grant you some protection against all those particular attacks there that fall under the Kinetic and Energy title....so its a myth that armour is all but useless in this game

Edited by Theagg