help me out here guys...

Faulkal

so a bit of back story, i played a sniper up to 50 which was great fun a few months ago. then i rolled a BH on a more populated server and speced as a PT and is lvl 33 atm. its great fun and all. until a friend singed up and so i rolled to yet another server >.< anyway with 1.3 now (have been out of the game for a while) i rolled another BH and am deciding b/w pt and merc again now.

the thing is i hear that merc dps (dont really care for healing) is the worst compared to other classes and lack of utility sucks >.< but i really enjoy being more ranged and d/w pistols. but at the same time i dont want to gimp myself either and have the possibility of not getting op invites because of being a merc dps instead of a healer >.<

are mercs really THAT bad dps wise?

Ok, I have a 23 merc and a 41 powertech (currently playing PT) so i'll say what I think;

I enjoyed Merc to begin with, but as you progress most of your abilitys are cast time which doesn't make you very mobile at all.

As for powertech, I love it, it's got arguably the best tank tree and one of the best dps trees in 1 class, what more can you ask for?

the only downsides I can say about powertech are that they don't look anywhere near as good as their vanguard mirror and the flimsy pistol doesn't look great at all.

Also, with the bloom feature in the graphics, all your fire abilitys look very realistic.

Edited by WaldoA

Yes, Merc DPS is very viable for operations, Arsenal right now stacks up DPS wise with maras and snipers. However, arsenal merc currently is the worst PvP spec due to loss of mobility and survivabiliity. So...

-If you want to PvE go Arsenal Merc (Fastest leveling, and awesome endgame DPS.)

-If you want to PvP go Pyro Merc (If you plan on doing a lot of PvP I suggest going Powertech.)

But, from my own experience there is only 1 class that is not viable IMO for end game OPS, and that is Operatives, its either noone knows how to play them, or that class is broken, but I have seen none that are capable of doing required DPS. (Can't pass Council fight in EV HM with rakata gear = Not Viable.)

Yes, Merc DPS is very viable for operations, Arsenal right now stacks up DPS wise with maras and snipers. However, arsenal merc currently is the worst PvP spec due to loss of mobility and survivabiliity. So...

-If you want to PvE go Arsenal Merc (Fastest leveling, and awesome endgame DPS.)

-If you want to PvP go Pyro Merc (If you plan on doing a lot of PvP I suggest going Powertech.)

But, from my own experience there is only 1 class that is not viable IMO for end game OPS, and that is Operatives, its either noone knows how to play them, or that class is broken, but I have seen none that are capable of doing required DPS. (Can't pass Council fight in EV HM with rakata gear = Not Viable.)

Agreed, my 50 operative is great for healing, but I myself don't like healing as it's not my playstyle, but yes DPS ops for pve are horrible as they are either heavily DOT orientated or require heavy hitters to be applied from stealth.

Yes, Merc DPS is very viable for operations, Arsenal right now stacks up DPS wise with maras and snipers.

I'm trying to get an accurate account to of where Merc DPS is PvE wise. As long as they are as good as sorc dps I'll be happy. I wanted to roll a new ranged dps for Ops as an alt (my Sorc main only runs EC now) and couldn't decide between a sniper or merc. I tried sniper till 20 but couldn't stand the cover mechanics even early on. My wife had a merc to level 40 and it was pretty fun most of the way.

I know pre-patch 1.2 my Merc buddy was (or had to be) at the top of the charts in my raid group. But not sure how they are now since I've been away from the game for a bit (since before 1.2). As long as they aren't like ops or shadow dps I'll be ok. Their story and leveling are easy as pie and for some reason BH gear drops like candy from all the pug groups I run.

I'm trying to get an accurate account to of where Merc DPS is PvE wise. As long as they are as good as sorc dps I'll be happy. I wanted to roll a new ranged dps for Ops as an alt (my Sorc main only runs EC now) and couldn't decide between a sniper or merc. I tried sniper till 20 but couldn't stand the cover mechanics even early on. My wife had a merc to level 40 and it was pretty fun most of the way.

I know pre-patch 1.2 my Merc buddy was (or had to be) at the top of the charts in my raid group. But not sure how they are now since I've been away from the game for a bit (since before 1.2). As long as they aren't like ops or shadow dps I'll be ok. Their story and leveling are easy as pie and for some reason BH gear drops like candy from all the pug groups I run.

Yeap, Merc DPS is as good as if not better then sorc. They are super easy to level (especailly since we start off with Mako) Death from Above is arguably the funnest skill ever. With 1.3 in effect, our heating has become better, and our rotation has become easier (Even though it was already pretty easy.) I strongly suggest a Merc. I love mine and currently getting ready to start EC HM

I think I'm the only guy on the planet that does ok as arsenal in pvp. (pause here for the laughter to die down...) I've been playing mostly arsenal and gone back and forth between pyro and arsenal. Pyro is more mobile yes but other than a little better "escape-ability" I don't think it's much better as far as utility. Now with the 1.3 changes arsenal is a more mobile (not as much as pyro) but you get the extra pop. I think it's a better burst class than pyro right now. where pyro is a slightly better kitting build. But both specs are not easy to play at all. Most other classes, including the sniper, are easier to play than a merc in pvp. You have to keep moving and only dps players who are not focused on you. If you try to go toe to toe with anyone you are going to loose unless you are very very good at kiting and this class gives you almost nothing to help with that. When a player (or 2) turn their attention to you it's best to run and circle back or just die and get back in the fight as quickly as possible.

You have to keep moving and only dps players who are not focused on you. If you try to go toe to toe with anyone you are going to loose unless you are very very good at kiting and this class gives you almost nothing to help with that. When a player (or 2) turn their attention to you it's best to run and circle back or just die and get back in the fight as quickly as possible.

So you're endorsing a PVP build that has little chance to win a one-on-one fight, and your recommended strategy is to die and respawn.

Well that comment was directed at both specs and a little tongue and cheek... I'm saying arsenal gets a bad wrap because it's geared more as support dps... helping to burst through targets and establish choke points. It's not for scrapping 1v1. It has a niche that's more difficult to play but can be effective if played well. But pyro isn't going to win you much direct 1v1 battles either. It's a little more of a solo spec because of the added mobility but even in pyro your going to be hit and fading more than going toe to toe Edited by Choffware