Does a hybrid spec work for DPS and tanking?

Jaince

Hi

I was wondering if a spec like this would work:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZfGbbzhZGMGbzoro.1

I'm aware that a pure tanking spec is better for tanking and that most likely a pure Pyro spec is better for DPS, but in those specs I can only do one thing.

Does it work to use a spec like that and do DPS using CGC and switching to IGC when tanking is needed.

I have a different tank and dps set of course, mostly Columi with a few Tionese/crafted pieces for both sets.

You've basically recreated the Carolina Parakeet spec, which is sadly dead. 18 points in Pyro that do little for you hurts badly when tanking - you give up a lot of passive mitigation from the Shield Tech tree as well as Heat Blast which helps immensely in managing your heat while tanking.

What I'd suggest is collect both tank and DPS gear. What I do when I tank HMs/Ops is if my healer's having no issues with me, I start replacing tank gear with DPS gear to help the run go faster. Conversely, if I'm with a sketchy group (especially with LFG what it is), I'll keep my Shield Generator handy and maybe swap out a couple other pieces heavy on Defense/Absorb just in case things go south badly.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend a hybrid spec for tanking and DPSing intentionally.

Edited by Pendrych

Yes I used the Carolina Parakeet as basis for this.

Had actually been using it till the patch, not the one I linked, barely had any tank talents, mostly went there for the Jet Charge. Which I really miss in the 31 pyro spec, thats one of the reasons I was looking into this.

I know I will miss out on a lot of passive tank talents as well as quite a few passive dps talents (and active ones). I was hoping it might sitll be enough to tank properly, but don't really want to try it, as a group might have to suffer if it fails.

If you have some friends, give it a try. The early HMs really aren't that hard, I started tanking them in modded gear mixed with some crafted epics I got from the AH (I'm a Cybertech so sadly there was no Rakata right off the bat). If it works for you, it works... Just be clear up front that you may need a trip back to fleet to respec. From my experience though, we need those passive talents to tank well, they're worth a lot of "virtual" stat rating and our cooldowns are pretty lackluster - PTs rely on our passive mitigation stats and controlling the pulls to tank well.