Resignation of Fate

Daelyn

Chapter Eleven

Seeing that he was wounded, Kaida was on Darth Isenikaar in two seconds. Holding her lightsaber in a straight line, centimeters from his throat, she said, “Give up.”

While still looking in Jion’s direction, he deactivated his lightsaber and held it down to his left side. Calmly touching a button on his comlink, he said, “It’s not over, Kaida.”

Through the force, she detected movement in the rocky hills all around her. Kaida had sensed them when she first got off The Uin, and though paid little attention to it at the time, now realized that they were Gethren’s final backup plan. A moment later she saw Jion and Kossj, weaponless and with their hands up, being marched out from behind their rock cover. Great, she thought, and just when this was supposed to be a victory.

Darth Isenikaar watched her for a moment, taking joy in her defeat. “It was the darkside that drew you here, and you will not leave alive if you refuse it.”

She felt anger flow through her, and the darkside beckoned once again. One short slash to his head, one little flick of her wrist, and her old master would be dead. Then she and her friends could leave this place. It was so very tempting.

“Do it,” he said with malice.

“I will end you here,” she said matching his tone. A strong pressure engulfed Kaida, as negative emotions flooded through. It would be a relief to cut him down. All would be better with him out of the way. He had taken something that rightfully belonged to her. Her arm tensed to make the motion but she fought it at the last moment. Then Jion came into view, and she remembered herself, and what he attempted to teach her. She relaxed, and then deactivated her lightsaber.

The darkside would have her seek revenge over the smallest slight, and treat all things in her life as objects to own or conquer. It wouldn’t be a relief to cut Darth Isenikaar down, defenseless as he was, but rather another step towards everything she despised. Then her descent into madness, which began with Gethren asking her to become his Sith apprentice all those months ago, would be complete.

The Sith narrowed his eyes, “So close my apprentice. Such a shame.”

“Had I done so you wouldn’t be alive to gloat about it,” she said dejected.

“Then you underestimate me, and I’m warning you not to. Now hand over the holocron would you. I would like to get things moving along,” he said snidely.

Kaida sighed as Jion and Kossj came to stand a few meters from her. Twenty Imperial Soldiers and three large war droids surrounded them with weapons at the ready. She looked at Jion and shook her head, “Only since meeting you does this seem to happen.” Kaida smirked at the smile that he gave her, and then she reached into her deep pocket to produce the desired object.

This seemingly unimportant little cubed device, held the memories and personality of the Master Jedi who created it. Recording the thought process of the mind that had been imprinted into the organic crystals, it was much more than a mere recording, it was as close as one could get to the now dead person; without of course contacting his spirit through the force. Within its grey lattice was information, and a new outlook on the force that people had been killed for. Many people lately, it would seem.

As she handed the holocron to her former master, she wondered at the point of its philosophy and purpose of its creation. Was it just the personal ranting of a Jedi Master that had lost his way? Or was it his hope to create a new division within the force? These were questions that she really wished she knew the answer to. It held countless hours of information, and she had only accessed a very small part of it. Once she and Jion were away, she promised herself that as soon as she got to Tarko’s world, and things were quiet, she would delve into it and begin her research. If she didn’t have the holocron when she left this place, then she would do her best to reach out with the force and find the answers she needed. The ideas that it imparted upon her were unsettling to say the least, and needed to be answered.

Attaching his lightsaber to his belt, Darth Isenikaar took the holocron and held it up in the palm of his left hand, “Now this, this is what it is all about. This is a great weapon to be used against the Jedi, if one knows how.” He stumbled a moment, and Kaida realized he was trying to use the force to hold himself together. His injury must have been painful.

Jion cut in then, “All this commotion about a simple thing such as a new philosophy. I’ll say this though, I think if anyone leaves either the Sith, or the Jedi Order just because of hearing a few new ideas, they were never that strong to begin with.”

She sensed he wanted to antagonize her old master, but he was Sith, and making a Sith angry only empowered them; unless of course there was still some measure of humanity left. Of which she originally hoped she would find upon meeting him again.

“Darth Isenikaar, so you would seem to have us. What do you want?”

When he looked at her, she sensed an elevation in his anger, “Now that I have this,” he motioned to the holocron in his hand, “I would have you join my side. I have told you this already.”

“You are injured, and I haven’t surrendered yet.”

“Oh? By all means then, let us continue the fight. You can count on one thing though my dear, your lover will not survive for very long. My troops will see to that.”

She sighed, Jion why did you have to get caught! Darth Isenikaar was correct, she was so close. She glared at her former master, “I will not submit.”

“Then you can all die,” he smirked. “If you are too foolish to realize the correct decision, then you are not worthy of being my apprentice anyway.”

“Gethren, you don’t have to do this. Remember what you taught me? Remember that you said to stand up for what was right, even when others don’t see it? I have done so. I left the Order to find you and take you away from the Sith. Gethren, I’ve known you for almost twenty years, and I know you are better than this.”

He watched her, seemingly moved by her plea. After a few seconds he said, “I was a different person back then. Things have changed now.”

In the far distance, she heard the sound of The Uin’s engines. A few seconds later she turned to see that the ship was nearly to the old factory that they stood next to. She looked at Darth Isenikaar, and said, “Let us go. I’ll give you the damn holocron, just let us go. I don’t care about it at all anymore. I just want to leave the politics of the galaxy behind and be on my own. If you ever cared for me, then you would grant me this.”

He stared at her then put a hand to his wound, and she sensed his anger grow even more, “You are not leaving my side.” He turned to his soldiers and said, “Stand down. Let the Chiss, and the Nautolan go.” The Uin came to hover nearly right over them now. Tarko was seemingly unsure of what to do with so many armed Imperials standing right next to his crew. Darth Isenikaar faced Kaida once again, “I am giving you this last act of charity. I will let them go if you concede to becoming my apprentice.”

“Cae’tel Yiss would object to you harming him,” she said referring to Jion.

“That is something I would be willing to deal with if it means getting you to join my side.”

Jion looked at her, and slightly shook his head. The Uin’s ramp lowered while hovering a few meters off the ground. Neren stepped down with a blaster rifle strapped over her shoulder, holding its grip in her right hand, and using her left to steady herself on the lifter. She watched them expectantly.

Kaida couldn’t do it though, if she gave in, then she knew she wouldn’t be the same person, and she would lose everything she wanted. The darkside was too controlling, too demanding. She had tasted it, and she could see what it had done to her old master. Things had changed indeed.

She watched Kossj head to the ramp and Neren help him up. She hadn’t noticed that he was injured before seeing him limp. Kaida expected Jion to leave as well, but he stood his ground. This provided her with some momentary strength, and she turned to face Darth Isenikaar, “No. I will not join you. We are leaving and you will never see us again. You can keep that blasted holocron.”

His anger was at the boiling point when he said, “Then I will make the decision for you.” He reached out his left hand, and with the force he made her rise into the air, the life being choked from her. Jion lunged at Darth Isenikaar but the soldiers held him back. Kaida’s light saber flew into the Sith’s grip, and after a few seconds of gasping and clutching at her own throat, he let her fall to the ground.

He turned on Jion, and with both hands, reached out and used the force to throw him towards the ramp of the ship. He bowled into Neren and Kossj who were near the top, and then used the force to bend the ramp up and back into the ship, breaking the lifter in the process.

While she got back to her feet, Darth Isenikaar turned to face her once again, “I warned you not to underestimate me.”

The ship’s engines roared to life, and they were moving. Jion shoved himself off of Neren, stood, and looked at the ramp behind him. It was shut closed, and the lifter arms were snapped in half. Even so, just to see if the ramp would fall open, he hit the button, and it did nothing.

Neren helped Kossj to his feet while saying, “What just happened?”

“It was the Sith, and they have Kaida,” Jion exclaimed. “Get Kossj to the turret, we’re going back.”

“What? He’s been shot twice, and he’d just told me he fell almost getting himself killed. I’m taking him to the medical bay.”

“Neren,” Jion gave her an intense look while shaking his head.

“I’ll be fine Neren. Just help me up the ladder,” said Kossj weakly.

Jion lightly patted Kossj’s back a couple of times before moving off to the cockpit. Once there he saw Tarko frantically working at the controls, while aiming The Uin away from Balmorra. “Captain, we’re not leaving yet,” he said in a commanding tone.

“I don’t think so.” Tarko swiveled his seat around to face Jion, “We are going Blue and that’s that.” Jion could sense his fear. Tarko was terribly afraid of something, and he’d never seen him like this.

Knowing time was of the essence, Jion reached out with his hand, and used the force to pull Tarko’s right pistol from his holster to him. Aiming at Tarko’s head now, he said, “Turn the ship around. We are going back.”

Tarko stared at Jion, though he couldn’t disguise his surprise at realizing Jion could use the force, “You would do this to your captain? After all we’ve been through?”

“Without hesitation.”

“Then it seems I have no choice.” Tarko swiveled back to the controls, and changed the ships course. “You realize that this changes things between us Blue.”

Jion lowered the pistol and said, “Kaida is still down there, and we aren’t leaving without her.”

Tarko didn’t respond, but Neren spoke as soon as she came into the cockpit, “He’s right, we have to Tarko. We can’t leave her.”

“Fine!” Tarko shouted without looking away from the controls.

“The ramp is broken though Blue. I don’t know how . . .”

“I’ll get out from the cargo bay,” he gave Neren the pistol and stalked off. When he reached his quarters, he quickly stripped out of his formally nice looking dress wear, and threw on his black and grey combat fatigues, along with black boots. Then he began pulling out every gun he owned. He sorted through various pistols and rifles, but settled on only the ones with the heaviest firepower. Jion packed his chosen blaster pistol and placed it in his holster at his right side, this along with six fragmentation grenades on a belt that he tied on, a remote detonator along with its accessories, and finished it all off with a large rifle he strapped over his shoulder. Oddly, his knife he left, because he had a strong feeling that he wouldn’t need it. Before leaving, he made sure he had backup energy cells for each weapon. Fully armed now, he felt ready for the final confrontation with his wife. He heard The Uin’s engines slowing down. They must be closing on the old factory again.

Then things changed, the engines were cranked up and the ship began firing. The Uin shook, something had hit them. Jion gathered that it was the turbolaser tower again. He hurried to the cockpit and watched in silence. Neren and Tarko were busy at the controls, as his captain jerked them from side to side to avoid the gun. He could hear Kossj at the turret shooting away.

“We are coming back on another pass Talkie, so be ready. Give it everything you have when we do,” said Tarko over the intercom.

“Right, boss.”

The Uin did a loop and twisted around to right itself. Then it nosed over towards the factory. Jion watched as the targeting computer locked onto the turbolaser. “All shields to the front!” yelled Tarko to Neren. A couple seconds later, the ship slowed slightly so to not overshoot the target. All four forward ship lasers sprang to life, as did the turret at the top. In between this, Tarko launched the last few missiles they had. When they got closer, the turbo laser began shooting back, hitting The Uin’s shields, and taking out all but the last missile heading towards it. The one that got through made a direct hit, and a large explosion of white momentarily blinded everyone in the cockpit.

Tarko rang his right hand in the air for a moment, cheering their success. “Level out the shields Neren. We are going in. Blue, get ready.”

Jion nodded to his captain’s back, and before leaving, said, “Make sure to be here when I return.” Then he left. However, he detected some indecision in Tarko over his command. Jogging down the corridor, past the lounge, and the crew quarters, the metallic clanking of the floor plates was the only other sound he heard besides the engines. Reaching the secure door that led into the cargo bay, he pressed the button to open it and then stepped inside. It was somewhat empty these days. The only thing here was some food provisions, and a few tools. Evidently, they hadn’t received their supplies Neren ordered on Terasta Station. In the corner, were two small speeders that were occasionally used, depending on the world they set down on and their particular needs.

That would be perfect to get up to the front door he thought. Hitting the cargo bay exit control, it opened slowly, and Jion leaped into the closest speeder. It had two seats, with some room in the back for storage. Turning it on, he strapped himself in, and then hovered half a meter from the floor. Backing out, he stopped short of leaving, and turned to look behind him. While watching the landscape settle from the slight turn Tarko had just made, Jion waited as patiently.

A few seconds later as they slowed to a stop, Jion’s comlink squawked, “We’re in position. Good luck Blue. I hope you get her back,” said Neren’s voice.

“Good luck Blue,” said Kossj, a moment later.

Without responding, Jion backed out of The Uin. He heard as much as felt the engines buffet him on his way out. The ship was about ten meters off the ground, and he sped away while dropping to two. Racing towards the distant factory ahead, he couldn’t help but feel worried for Kaida. He’d previously had thoughts of settling into a home with her, and spending his days in their new life together. The idea of losing all that now was too painful to contemplate. Both of their pasts were coming back to haunt them now, and could quite possibly destroy them. Although, he knew giving into fear at this point was the worst thing he could do. He had to focus, and concentrate. He had to be strong, if not for himself, for her.

When he was about a hundred meters from the front door, several Imperial soldiers popped out of their hiding places and began firing on him. Jion cranked up the speed, and tried to evade them. Pulling out his blaster pistol, he took one soldier out near the door. Then he aimed his speeder at two more close by and hardly slowed down. He crashed into the two soldiers and the wall beside them, killing them both. Jion needed a second to recover from the collision, and then quickly unstrapped himself. A few soldiers were still firing on him from the nearby hills, and he used the side of his speeder to avoid the incoming shots. Then suddenly a large four legged war droid appeared from out of the entrance behind him. Jion quickly brought his rifle to bear on it.

This machine was meant to fight in the middle of a battlefield, and wasn’t something that just anyone, including some brave and experienced Jedi would face without thinking twice. Just as it turned its two large blasters on him, Jion let loose. The heavy firepower of the rifle nudged it aside with each shot, and prevented it from properly targeting him. He’d used this weapon many times in the past, and was used to its kick. The first few bolts took out its shields, and the last six tore it apart. It collapsed a meter in front of the door, and then he leaped up and ran to the opening.

‘I don’t want to make it too easy on you,’ he heard his wife’s voice ring in his head as he entered the factory. She was aware he was here, he could feel it. As for Kaida, he felt nothing but his wife blocking him out. She had to be alive, and he refused to believe otherwise.

Inside, Jion encountered two more soldiers and he took them down before they realized he was there, his rifle blasting large holes through their armor. He was using everything he was taught when training as a Phalanx Guard in the Chiss Ascendency, and at the same time was guided by the force. Ironically it was from his wife’s teachings. He was focused, determined, and would get the job done with minimum difficulty. Not caring about casualties, or who was innocent, there was only to be one outcome. With the force on his side, these soldiers, and droids wouldn’t stand a chance. Upon reaching the turbolift, he had to reach out with the force to sense the correct floor, since he was sure they wouldn’t be holed up in Cae’tel’s bedroom. There were five levels here, and the force guided him to the one right below.

He crouched down next to the door, and readied two grenades. Jion reached out with the force to press the button to send the lift down one. With his rifle strapped over his right shoulder, he pushed forward the two buttons on the silver frag grenades before the door even opened. When it did, without looking to see who was there, he rolled them both out and then ducked back next to the door inside the turbolift. His rifle was at the ready, though he couldn’t sense who or how many were there, except that something just outside the lift would oppose him. The two explosions were immediately followed by several cries of pain.

He sprang out of the open turbolift door, and through the smoke began firing at anything moving. Three unarmored Imperials dropped quickly, adding to the two already down from the grenades. Crouching through the smoke, he moved through the room, being as silent as he possible. Then, he felt it coming before it happened. Two armored soldiers appeared out from the doorway at the end of the room and began firing. However, he was already behind cover, just making it next to the desk at the last moment. Pulling another fragmentation grenade, he thumbed the button up, and after holding it two seconds while it whined louder, he peered out and tossed it towards the soldiers who had now taken cover once again. His throw was good, it went just past the door way. Since he felt their threat disappear, he knew the detonation took both of them out.

Cae’tel and Kaida were down that same hallway, and he continued forward. He traveled through it, killing a few more soldiers along the way, until eventually coming to a heavy locked door. Inside this room, both Sith waited for him.

“Set The Uin down, I’m going to help him.”

“What?” said Tarko.

“You heard me,” replied Neren. “Don’t pull this with me or Blue right now Tarko, this is too important.”

“Neren, he used the force to pull my own blaster to him, and then he aimed it at me. It’s one thing to let him go, but now you want to help him?”

“Well, it doesn’t matter. You were leaving without Kaida and probably not listening.”

Tarko sighed, “The things I do for this crew.” He swiveled his chair back to the controls, and landed the ship, though he kept it running just in case. Hitting the intercom, he said, “Talkie, Neren and I are going to go help Blue. Come to the cockpit and guard the ship until we come back.”

“On my way.”

She smiled at him, “Let’s go Captain.”

“I cannot believe I’m doing this. Didn’t we just help rescue Blue? And now the Jedi is missing. Great, next we’ll come back and Kossj is missing, then we have to go rescue him. And then, we’d probably be facing two turbolaser towers.”

“Family, Tarko, they are family. That’s why we are doing this.”

“Tarko is beginning to think he needs a new family, this one is going to get him killed.”

She passed him back his blaster that Jion gave her. Then she went to the lounge where her rifle lay and picked it up. She hollered after Kossj, “Did you need help getting down from the turret?”

“No I’m fine thanks,” he said with a grunt as he descended the last few steps.

“Keep The Uin safe for us while we’re gone would you?”

“Of course Neren, what good would I be if I didn’t,” he said before smirking.

“Just take it easy, Kossj. I know how roughed up you got out there.”

Tarko nodded, “We need our Talkie keeping the ship running, and my, my, do we ever have a lot of work to do when we get out of here.”

“Right boss, I could take a look at it for you if you wanted,” he said while using the walls to support his steps.

“No, no, Talkie. Just relax for now, and sit in the pilot’s seat.” Kossj limped by him towards the cockpit and Tarko watched him go. Then he turned to Neren, “We can’t stay long, we need to get them both and leave immediately.”

She nodded her head, “To the cargo bay then.”

A minute later and they were in the second speeder and racing towards the old factory. “I am getting tired of this place.”

“Me too.” When they were closer, she spotted a few imperial troops and a couple of war droids near the entrance. “Look,” she said pointing.

Tarko pulled the speeder over to the side of the road just as the Imperials shot at them. They got out and took cover behind it, then began firing back. The droids came closer as they shot at them, and the side of the speeder was scored with hits. “Arghh! We’ll never get to Blue if we have to deal with this. Who knows how many else are inside too?” Tarko touched his comlink, “Talkie, get The Uin in the air and blast these shabs to bits!”

“On it Captain. I was just getting The Uin ready to do it when you called in. I have to say that what you did with the engine . . .”

A blaster bolt nearly hit Tarko in the head just then, “Talkie! Shut up and just hit them in the shebs!”

“Blue most likely took care of everyone inside, Tarko,” said Neren.

“Oh, you’re probably right,” he said before aiming at a soldier, and taking it out with a lucky shot. The blaster fire from the droids was too much, and they hunkered down behind the speeder, waiting for Kossj to help.

The Uin was in the air a few seconds later, and the droids stopped dead as they recognized the new threat. They then began backing away faster than they had previously moved forward. The cargo ship fired its lasers, raking the ground in a path that intercepted the droids. Each of them only took one blast before exploding. Then, the strafing continued towards the building, taking out the soldiers there too. Tarko and Neren jumped back into the speeder and she noticed all the holes in her side of the craft. She looked at him questioningly.

“The engine wasn’t seriously hit, I don’t think. It should be ok.” He’d left it on, and when he turned and accelerated, it ran just as smooth as before. Above them The Uin had ceased its attack, and came to land much closer to the factory. The two came up in their speeder and parked by the entrance. Tarko hopped out and pulled out one of his pistols, finishing off a soldier who had been talking into her comm. Then he went and looked at the other speeder Jion had crashed. “Damn Chiss, does he think I’m made of credits?”

“We don’t have time Tarko. We need to get inside.” Of all the things to think of right now she thought.

Tarko shook his head, “Fine, but I want both speeders back in The Uin when we’re finished. I don’t care how smashed up the front side is.” He grunted, “This whole excursion is costing me big.”

Neren grabbed a hold of his left arm and tugged, “Let’s go.”

Without protest, Tarko followed her. The door seemed like it was as old as the building, but it opened quickly with a voosh when she came close, just like it was brand new. She saw the two dead soldiers to either side of the turbolift further in.

“An elevator, I wonder how many floors are here, and what one Blue went to,” said Tarko.

When they called the lift, it came up in a second, and Neren thought about it for a moment after scanning the buttons inside, “I think they went to the floor below us.”

“Neren, it’s a turbolift. It’s fast, and there are many floors here.”

“There’s no better place to start than at the beginning right?”

Tarko nodded, “Ok, we start at sub-floor one then.”

When they stepped out at their destination, they were immediately attacked by a half dozen Imperial soldiers.

Chapter Twelve

Cae’tel stared at her with her yellow eyes while coming to stand a meter away, “So you are the one that has stolen my husband’s heart. I should kill you for that. And I would, if not for Darth Isenikaar’s need for you.”

Husband? This was the first time Kaida had heard that. Was it true? Regardless, she didn’t want to look weak in front of her by letting her know that much, “You’ve been in my dreams.”

She narrowed her eyes, “I was reaching out to whoever was distracting him, yes. So it would seem that you got the message.”

Kaida could sense great anger and power from her. She radiated it just by her presence. It was distracting just being this close. “You act as if love was just an object, and to do with as one would with any trivial possession. It’s not so simple; it’s much more than that.”

Cae’tel seethed, and came to stand face to face with Kaida, “I know this. You’ve won no victory over me, so spare me the virtuous platitudes. I’m not in the mood for it.” She went to slap Kaida, but Kaida brought her hand up to block. Cae’tel just looked at her and smiled, before walking away.

She’d glimpsed the wildness in her yellow eyes, like some sort of hypersexual murderous animal. Kaida realized that she wasn’t normal even for a Sith. There was something seriously wrong there, like she had lost her mind at some point. Her previously red Chiss eyes must have changed with her usage of the darkside to yellow.

Darth Isenikaar had brought her into a large circular room. In the center there was a platform with a stand in the middle of it. She had no idea what his plans where, other that she was to wait. There were no soldiers or anyone else here; it was just the three of them. Her old master placed the holocron on the stand, closed his eyes and activated it.

It opened up and a projected hologram of the ancient Jedi Master appeared above it. He was skinny, tanned skinned, with grey hair where it wasn’t missing from baldness. It looked at its summoner just as the Sith opened his eyes, and said, “You have returned Master Gethren.”

“No longer call me that. I am Darth Isenikaar now.”

“Very well, what topics do you wish to go over?”

Kaida felt a slight ripple in the force. It was Jion, and he was close by. Being as distracted as she was, she supposed that’s why she didn’t sense him earlier.

The Chiss woman went over to the door controls and opened it, “Jion, would you come in my darling husband? I can imagine the mess you’ve created outside this soundproof room, but now that you are here, you might as well make yourself comfortable,” said Cae’tel, obviously sensing that he was there too.

Jion slowly emerged from the hallway; he had a rifle in his hands, and didn’t seem to be in the mood for playing games. Kaida sensed that he had killed many just to come this far. He had come for her.

Cae’tel kept the door open while she went to stand on the platform. She winked at Kaida before turning back to face Jion.

“You are just in time. I was about to order the holocron to recite the codes,” said Darth Isenikaar.

“Why? I’m here to get Kaida and leave. If that means both of you die then so be it,” said Jion stepping further into the room. He took note of Kaida, and tried to smile at her.

Without thinking, she said, “Wife? This is your wife?” Kaida regretted saying it before she even finished. These were the last people she should be having this conversation in front of.

Jion looked to the floor while he spoke, “It was . . . something I probably should have brought up.” He looked at Kaida, “Though, now that you’ve met her, I think you can see why someone would be reluctant to mention it.”

“You disappoint me my husband. I would think you would take this more seriously,” interrupted Cae’tel. “We are about to play the holocron, since I doubt you yourself can access it, and your darling Jedi love said that you hadn’t heard it yet.”

Jion aimed his rifle at Cae’tel. A second later, after he appeared to have changed his mind, he lowered his weapon, “Play it.”

Kaida felt relieved, Jion wouldn’t have stood a chance against them with his blasters, and her lightsaber was in her old master’s hand. He obviously wanted to be sure she couldn’t just use the force to retrieve it from his belt. There had to be something they could do, some weakness they could exploit. This is where the Jedi teachings came in, she needed to be patient, and wait for the opportunity to come to her.

Darth Isenikaar turned back to the holocron and said, “The three codes, start with the Jedi, then go on to the Sith, and end with the Code of Balance.”

The three dimensional image of the old master responded, “Of course, Darth Isenikaar. The Jedi code is thus - There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force. The Sith code follows with – Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. The Code of Balance is – Peace, can be attained through emotion. Passion can be disciplined with serenity. Harmony, no matter the outlook of the individual is strength. Power, comes at the cost of awareness. True awareness of the force allows freedom of choice, and that is the ultimate victory. Would you like the meaning broken down to further explain my beliefs, and give more reason for the Code of Balance?”

Darth Isenikaar turned to Jion for a moment, seemingly asking his unsaid permission until he returned back to the holocron, “Carry on.”

“I created the Code of Balance after encountering the force wielders on one of my missions for the Jedi Order. This was years ago in my youth, but I have not forgotten nor denied their wisdom. Despite how contrary it was compared to everything I was taught. Was it a vision? Or was I really among them? I do not know, however, I do know that the father imparted the notion of balance between both light and dark sides. Through many years of contemplating what I learned there, I came up with the Code of Balance. This led me away from the Jedi Order, though I am aware now that they retrieved this holocron, and securely placed it into their archives when I expired. I assume the Code of Balance led to some consternation within the counsel over the potential damage it could cause.”

A distant explosion, followed by blaster fire was suddenly heard from far down the hallway. Kaida assumed it was from The Uin’s other crewmates. The opening she was waiting for would come soon she hoped.

“Line one of the code – ‘Peace, can be attained even through emotion.’ This would drive a wedge, as would all the lines of the code, straight through both the Jedi, and the Sith’s position on the force. Even non-force users routinely attain a state of peace. Because one has emotions, it does not mean that they needlessly be dominated by it. Control and mastery of them, to switch at will, from one of intensity or peace, when required, is the goal of this line.”

The fighting became louder now and Darth Isenikaar told the Jedi Master to pause. Cae’tel flipped a button on the stand, below the holocron. The door to the hallway shut, and the room was suddenly quiet. “For our privacy. I am confident my soldiers will be able to handle the intruders, that and this door is encrypted. We wouldn’t want to be interrupted after all.”

“Then why are you doing it? Why not get it all over with right now?” asked Jion.

“It is important for your love here to understand what it’s all about, before you die. Were you not listening to what the Jedi Master had to say?”

“Weakness, pure and simple,” said Darth Isenikaar. He put a gloved finger to his mouth a second later as if in thought, “If you must know, I am the architect of this plan. When the Jedi temple on Coruscant was destroyed, I was the first one on the spot who went in after the Sith had left, and the treaty was signed. I took the liberty of removing a few things that I knew I’d never get a better chance to. This holocron was one such item. Fortunately, it was one of the few that had been saved from the destruction of the Dantooine temple centuries ago.”

“How did you know about it? I thought only those on the council could visit the holocron room?” asked Kaida.

“My master showed it to me when I had just passed the trials. He felt I was wise enough. And I’ve felt the knowledge of it touch me, taint me even, ever since. This was why I was never admitted to the Jedi Council, since they could sense a darkness within me.”

“Only a fool would take what it had to say seriously anyway. To follow those teachings, would be to lose everything. So now you know the truth of the whole matter. That and this way, I get my victory, and Darth Isenikaar gets his new apprentice.” said Cae’tel.

Kaida felt herself jump inside after hearing Cae’tel. She wanted her to die, she wanted Gethren to die. She just wanted to leave. Besides, she’d listened to the holocron where he detailed the entire Code of Balance on the cruise ship. This is what enabled her to tell herself that it was ok to continue the relationship with Jion.

“Oh I don’t know, some of it wasn’t too bad,” said Jion before smirking. His black and grey military outfit reminded Kaida of the all black one he wore that day on Corellia, the day she really noticed him.

“End, and shut down,” said Darth Isenikaar. The holocron projection ended, and it went silent. He turned to Kaida, “So we’ve come to it now. You must make your choice. It is very simple, join me or die.”

“Then I die,” she looked uncomfortably at Jion, “Sorry. I love you.”

His eyes seemed calm. There was something there, something he was about to do, she could sense it. And so did the two Sith because they turned around to face him suddenly as he said, “Don’t be.” Jion pulled out a small device, flipped the top of it open and pressed the button. A large explosion ripped the door down, and the blast forced everyone to the floor.

She got up on her hands and through the smoke, looked for Darth Isenikaar, he was prone, but still held her lightsaber. However, his was still clipped to his belt, and she reached out her hand and used the force to pull his lightsaber to her. She was on her feet in a second and ignited the weapon. It was heavier than hers, and it didn’t feel right at all, but she needed something, so it would have to do. She turned on him, just as he ignited hers. She’d had enough of this. Gethren had to die now.

He was the closest to the door, and the force of the explosion had thrown him harder than he would have liked. Even so, Jion couldn’t focus on that, he was alive, his fingers and toes still worked, so he got to his feet, pulled out his blaster from his right holster and took aim at Darth Isenikaar. Through the smoke, where Cae’tel was at the moment, he didn’t know, or care. He’d used the last of his three fragmentation grenades to jury rig a way in through the door locks, and it had worked better than he hoped; a little too good.

The Sith and Kaida were locked in combat once again, this time their lightsabers were reversed, which he found very odd and it distracted him for a couple of seconds. Kaida was close to him still, yet this time he chose to risk it. He fired, shot after shot at Darth Isenikaar, and each one reflected onto the floor, into the ceiling, a couple almost came back to hit Jion, nevertheless it gave Kaida the help she needed.

It allowed her to hammer away at her former master aggressively, and just when Jion thought she was about to claim victory, Cae’tel was there. She placed both hands in front of her, and force pushed Kaida away from her ally. The force of it threw her against the wall where she hit her head, and was knocked out of the fight.

The Chiss woman then casually took a few steps towards Jion. She was no longer dressed in her sexy lingerie, and had put on something a little more conservative, even so, she still showed off those long blue legs.

Darth Isenikaar triumphant, retrieved his lightsaber and then deactivated hers to throw it to the side. It rattled as it rolled along the floor on the opposite side of the room from Jion. He then approached Kaida, activated his lightsaber and appeared to be going in for the kill. Jion, doing the only thing that he could do to protect her, brought his blaster to bear on him.

Just as he did so, Cae’tel hit him with force lightning. It hurt, although it was more disabling than painful. He’d experienced her brand of lightning too many times before, and counted on his own force ability to nullify it. When she was finished, she reached out and pulled the weapon from his hand. He was then left without the capacity to do much of anything. If he had his knife now, it wouldn’t have helped at all. His rifle was on the floor, but too far away to reach, and even if he used the force to retrieve it, it wouldn’t have done him much good. He was slightly in over his head here.

Gethren raised his lightsaber against Kaida for the killing blow, and then the answer came to Jion. The last thing he ever wanted to do was this, but if it could save her, he would do it. He fell to his knees and said, “Stop! I give in.” He looked at Cae’tel, “I will let you have your victory my wife. I give myself to you. Just don’t kill her.”

Cae’tel looked to Darth Isenikaar, who deactivated his weapon then, while staring back at her. He nodded, and then she turned to face Jion. “It has been many years since I hoped it would come to this.” Cae’tel held a large grin as she took a few more steps to stand a meter away from him.

As far as Jion was concerned, it was done. He no longer wished to fight; he didn’t want to endanger Kaida anymore. If it meant sacrificing himself, then it was worth it. She was worth it. He would die knowing he did everything he could. Jion looked at her slumped against the far wall. It was probably for the best that she wasn’t conscious for this.

Then he felt the tug from Cae’tel’s terrible power. Her life drain focused on him, probing for a way in, and his first instinct was to shut it out, to create that dead zone around him where the force was repelled. He looked up at her yellow eyes and saw how wide they were, she could taste his defeat. Jion closed his own eyes, and relaxed. He began to let go of his shield, and bit by bit he felt its protectiveness leave him. An alarm rang in his head, a part of his mind warning him that what he was doing was extremely dangerous, but he continued anyway.

Jion felt it then, something he’d always sensed distantly when they were together years before. It was an ever present sickly sensation of decay. It wasn’t something that could be touched, smelled, or felt, but the perception of it had been ever present around Cae’tel. He’d rejected it in times before, and ignored its existence. Now, finally it was let in through the front door.

Red blood dripped from his nose to splatter on the floor. He opened his eyes, and realized he had tears there, but his body was so weak, he was about to collapse. While he could clearly feel his body dying, he felt sorrow for not being able to be there for Kaida. If he had one dying wish, it would be just to spend a minute with her, to say his goodbyes, and to kiss her lips one last time.

He felt sleep coming soon, that great unconsciousness awaited, and a relief from all his burdens. Then the leaching of his life’s energies stopped, and Jion fell forward with both hands preventing him from hitting the plasteel floor. He took a few seconds to feel his strength starting to return, though he wasn’t sure if he was being teased and tortured in this manner or not. If so, it was truly a testament to Cae’tel’s evil. However, he didn’t think that was the case. He had felt something from her that made her decide to stop.

“What’s wrong Cae’tel? Why don’t you finish him?” asked Darth Isenikaar.

She had been in her element, fully energized, in her feral pose, and focused on only one thing, but she had stopped all of sudden. “I can’t do it. I’ve had my victory. He let go, but I cannot bring myself to kill him. I . . .”

“Maybe not, but I sure as hell can kill you,” said Neren as she stepped into the room and aimed at Cae’tel, Tarko was right behind her.

Now that his force powers were no longer busy maintaining his shield, even in his weakened state, he sensed everything happening around him without the need to see. Neren and Tarko had come after all, as he was hoping they would. Even with the force however, he felt he needed to observe this one thing. Jion looked up at his wife just in time to see the blaster bolt surge through the front of her forehead. It happened in slow motion, her head whipped back from the power of the shot that had gone through and out the other side. Then with her eyes still open, she fell to the floor right in front of him. Her lifeless face stared at the ceiling. Her death brought forth a flood of memories of their time together, and a lot of it was full of regret. Although he wasn’t upset at all at what Neren just did, still, it was horrible to look upon it.

While watching her, he felt her spirit leave, and it became one with the force. Jion felt horrible that only in facing her husband’s death did she find redemption in the last few seconds. He knew what her final words were going to be. And a part of him, long ago would have crumpled inside at what he’d just witnessed. Though now, that old part of him was gone, as dead as she was. He would mourn her in time, but just not now.

It wasn’t over, another Sith still remained. As weak as he was, he attempted to stand, while blaster fire raged in front of him. Neren and Tarko were shooting at Darth Isenikaar. Jion took in a deep breath and got to his feet, his strength was returning, though not as fast as he would like. Tarko ran at him, and yanked him back. He feebly went along with it, but fell to the floor half way to the exit. Jion was almost in an intoxicated state, he was light-headed, and the room spun. He didn’t know how close he had come to death, but his guess was that he had skirted the rim and was a second away from falling in.

He blacked out for a moment, yet felt much better upon returning. His head hurt though. That and his force powers felt bizarre, like Jion could hardly control it. The first thing he noticed upon getting up was that the blaster fire had stopped, only to be replaced with the sound of lightsabers clashing. Kaida was awake, and again, the battle between her, and her old master, raged once more.

Jion breathed in and out deeply. He needed to center himself, so he went to his knees and did just that. Slowing his breathing, he relaxed, and found a point within that gave him clarity out of chaos. When Jion opened his eyes a minute later, other than the feint hum of lightsabers, there was silence. Gethren was on one knee, with his activated lightsaber held down by his feet. In a reversal, Kaida’s weapon was held over his head. Jion had fortunately come back at the very last moment. Neren passed him something to clean the blood from his nose, which thankfully had stopped flowing like a river when he was dying.

“You are defeated, there is no insane Chiss woman to back you up, and the base is conquered. Surrender Darth Isenikaar. I will not repeat myself. This I promise you,” said Kaida commandingly.

At first the Sith seemed like he was about to comply, especially once he deactivated his weapon. Then, after looking around and seeing the state of the others in the room, Neren applying a kolto pack to a wound on Tarko’s chest, and Jion putting a cloth to his nose while taking a few steps closer to Kaida and himself, he turned back to his would be apprentice and said, “I warned you!” He reached out with his free hand and squeezed his fingers as if around something solid, while at the same time she was thrust into the air choking. With what strength he had left, Darth Isenikaar managed to overpower her force abilities. After a few seconds he let her go, stood up, and reactivated his lightsaber.

Kaida fell to the ground but wasn’t out of the fight yet. She was back on her feet quickly, and charged at Darth Isenikaar. He then displayed his own ability to use force lightning. As she closed the distance, purple streaks lanced out and struck her several times. Gritting through the pain, she swung her lightsaber at him, and he parried with his.

Jion stared at the old man. He was injured, had basically lost to Kaida only a moment before, and had to be nearly spent. Only the force could have been sustaining him up to this point, and he must have been quite powerful to do so; perhaps, much more so than he would have thought.

He forced Kaida back with an aggressive attack that she met with her lightsaber, and then he used force lightning again. She wreathed in pain as it engulfed her. He was so confident in his power, that he deactivated his weapon and clipped it to his belt, so as to use his second hand to project more.

Her screams being too much to bear, Jion reached out with the force and pulled her lightsaber to his outstretched hand. He hadn’t recovered enough to last long in a duel, and hadn’t practiced with a lightsaber in years, but he couldn’t stand to see her being tortured to death like this. He ignited it strode forward.

Moving as fast as he could towards Darth Isenikaar, the Sith turned his attention from Kaida, to Jion, and at the last moment, his lightning attack focused on the incoming Chiss. Jion hadn’t experienced such pain before. His ability to repress the force either wasn’t working right, or he’d never gone against someone so powerful. The lightning coursed through his whole body and he felt like he was on fire. Determination gripped him, and he closed his mind to the pain. One more step, that’s all he needed. Using everything within, he took that final step and raised Kaida’s lightsaber. He saw the change in the Sith’s eyes go from victory to defeat, as he realized his power couldn’t prevent his foe from reaching him.

Jion struck as well as one could considering the circumstances. The green saber cut the Sith from his right shoulder, down to his left waist. The force lightning ceased, and the body crumpled in two. Deactivating the lightsaber, the Chiss gasped and almost collapsed, catching himself by holding onto his knees. The pain was horrendous. He breathed in and out for a few seconds trying to fight it. It began to fade after a moment to a dull ache. Smoke billowed from his clothes, though he was fortunate that he wasn’t badly burned. His force power had taken the worst bite of it away.

Neren and Tarko were next to him, trying to hold him up. “Are you ok Blue?” asked Tarko.

“I’ll live,” was his only response after brushing off their hands, he looked over to his right at Kaida. She was motionless on the floor, and smoke was still rising from her. Jion stumbled towards her and dropped her lightsaber as he went to hold her head up. “Kaida!”

She was a horrible sight. Jion couldn’t believe what had happened to her. Her eyes opened to look at him, and she tried to force a smile. Part of her left face was burnt, and the scorching had gone in wild lines throughout her robes. He reached out with the force, and felt her fading away. He kissed her lips gently, then put his forehead to hers saying, “No, no, no, no, don’t go.”

He raised his head to look at her and stared into her beautiful blue eyes. She tried to speak while he watched, and he brushed her auburn hair back from her face, as she mouthed the words, “I love you.” As the life left her eyes he felt her leave. He closed them, not wanting to see them without the power and beauty they held while alive.

When she left, he felt a part of him go with her. He slammed his fist into the floor next to him. He stared at her for another long moment before standing up. His body felt like it had been through hell and back, even so, he used the force to retrieve and pocket her lightsaber. Then he reached down, and lifted her up to heave her onto his shoulder. He had to use the force to help, since his body was too weak on its own. Now, he couldn’t help but notice how light her lifeless body seemed.

As he turned to go, Tarko said, “I’m sorry Blue.

Neren looked at him, teary eyed, “Me too.”

Chapter Thirteen

Two weeks later, Jion was sitting in his new favorite spot on the world of Penataire. It was a cliff overlooking the start of their tiny community. The small valley had a little river flowing through it, and was surrounded by forested mountains. They’d been working on a new home, which Tarko was so very enthused for. After that they were to build a barn, set up a fence, and go grab some herd animals he kept referring to as nerfs. These they would get from colonists that were approachable. After that Tarko wanted to raise crops, though they had been busy up to a few days ago with just clearing the area and getting enough timber for their needs. They’d been using The Uin as a temporary home until the log cabin was built.

Tarko wanted it all done just like how he was raised. This was frontier land, on a planet in the far Outer Rim. Though there were surprisingly few dangerous predators in the world, and no native intelligent species, in some respects, it was a paradise; a place that Jion could certainly admire others for their colonizing efforts. It wasn’t the life for him though.

Jion had been numb the first four days after Kaida died. He kept to himself, and refused to eat anything; instead choosing to remain meditating in his quarters. He was trying to contact her through the force, to hear her once more, but nothing came to him.

Tarko and the others managed to somehow retrieve the supplies they missed picking up at Terasta Station without any trouble. Then The Uin took several days to make the lengthy trip to his home world. Once there, shortly after Kaida’s funeral, their captain spent a good deal of time trying to get back in touch with the families he remembered. Some of them turned Tarko away, unhappy that he had returned, but there were a few who accepted that he was back, and agreed to help him out if and when he needed it. However, they couldn’t live among the others. They would have to strike out on their own; which seemed to suit Tarko just fine because he claimed to be expecting as much.

Once they started work, Jion was there helping and working harder than anyone else. He threw his back into it in an effort to forget everything, at least for now. In the evening, when the others relaxed after a hard day, sometimes by the campfire, Jion took some food and drink, and found his little spot on the cliff. It was a place in the lower part of the nearest mountain that towered above them.

The world was temperate for the most part, with a warmer, more tropical belt along the equator. There was a lone yellow-orange sun, and two large moons, along with half a dozen smaller ones orbiting. They were many light years away from the nearest civilized world. The people were completely isolationist, and that suited Jion just fine. He wanted to be away from anything but his own thoughts now anyway.

Neren had taken the holocron on her way out of the Sith base, and given it to Jion after Kaida’s funeral. She would be part of this world now. Jion thought it was a blessing for the future of Tarko’s miniature colony, but for the most part he didn’t want to consider it too much. He allowed himself a couple of tears when she’d burned on the pyre, and the goodbyes were said, but that was it; when she died, he couldn’t help but feel dead too. He couldn’t speak during the funeral, since he was afraid he’d break down, and a watershed of tears would erupt. The others understood, and Tarko spoke for him.

After a few weeks of being on Penataire, he started to bring the holocron with him to his spot, and attempted to access it. He meditated, and experimented with loosening and bringing back his shield around him. When his numbness ebbed away it was painful at first, and he stopped early several evenings. He’d felt like he was becoming almost himself again with emotions and feelings, and he couldn’t cope with the emotional aspect of his loss. However, he kept at it. Through the pain, and tears, he didn’t back down. Besides, he had a nagging feeling that it was important to listen to what the holocron had to say. That, and it was the only thing he really had in his life with any significance, besides Kaida’s lightsaber that he now traveled everywhere with. The crew had noticed it clipped to his belt while working beside them, but said nothing.

Eventually, one night after dealing with the crushing weight of Kaida’s death, and facing it all, he felt a connection to the force return for the first time. His shield was relaxed, and the dead zone around him momentarily lifted. The old tan-skinned Jedi Master greeted him, and asked him his name. Jion was very pleased with himself that he was actually able to get the holocron to work, since it was reserved for those strong in the force, and wouldn’t open for anything less. When introductions were over, Jion inquired about the Code of Balance. He listened to each line of the code, and then accepted to hear the clarification of each.

Patiently, he listened to the explanation. After a little on the first line of the code, in which he’d already heard, the Jedi master continued, “A force user must not always remain at either extreme. The Jedi are not droids without feeling, they feel sadness, happiness, smile, laugh, and joke. They are taught not to attach themselves to any of their feelings, and control it to bring themselves back to a state of peace whenever possible. Directing of one’s emotions for Jedi or Sith, is paramount, therefore, I postulate through personal experience, that one can have emotion, and it can be controlled to bring peace when desired. It is attachment that focuses the force user into something they find difficult to separate their emotions from. With proper training, and discipline, one can manage attachments, but still express emotion. Line one of the Code of Balance then, is the most difficult of all the lines of the code, because too many attach themselves to another, or an idea, which they find they cannot extricate themselves from, simply because they have based much of their sense of self around it.”

Line two of the code – ‘Passion can be disciplined with serenity.’ Again, this one is similar to the first, except it is reversed. The Sith encourage emotion to its fullest; they believe it is their greatest strength, nevertheless they require silence of mind to learn from their masters. Even Sith need to meditate and learn from their lessons, and mistakes. Constant rage, and hatred at all times would drown out their instructions, and they would turn into mindless beasts, bent on the slaughter of anyone nearby. They are taught to control their passion, to bring it out when necessary, but not to keep it on to its fullest at all times. Otherwise, it would be akin to insanity.

Line three of the code – ‘Harmony, no matter the outlook of the individual is strength.’ Reason and intellect work best without distraction, such as uncontrolled emotion, or inner conflict. Stress on the mind precludes rational thought; therefore a balancing of emotion with reason is the goal for this line. Unintended anger over the smallest offence is the norm among young Sith, and often even their more experienced masters. They are worried that that it is one small step towards undermining of their respect and power. They are then fearful of losing what they have. It is an attachment therefore that is their weakness.”

“For the Jedi, loss is to be expected and in instances of death, celebrated. This is because the spirit returns to the force, and is never truly lost. However the truth to that, this overlooks the damage it leaves with individuals close to those gone. In their viewpoint, one who dies is no different than losing a servant droid, or the cutting of one’s hair. It is possible to face loss, and it’s possible to find peace there, simply because they are encouraged to take joy in their returning to the force; nevertheless this is one of the most difficult things for any Jedi to accept. This is not a suggestion that it is alright for the force user to accept an emotional breakdown when confronted with loss, but quite the contrary, it highlights that even those with the most control are touched by losing someone close. Emotions are a part of us; to deny them is to deny the greater part of what makes us sentient; if not through the power of the force, then just in quality of life.”

Line four of the code – ‘Power, comes at the cost of awareness.’ Experience, and proper reflection over life’s lessons, from the self, and from others, is where wisdom comes from. When confronted with the unknown, we strive to pull from our memories the closest, most suitable event, to base our next decision on. Therefore, experience and knowledge fit properly together in understanding, creates wisdom to fit each and every occasion in our lives. This is awareness, and with more awareness, comes more power. Both orders consider success positive, and failure a negative experience. Though there is this aspect to it yes, experience from failure and an understanding of what caused it, is in the long run the greatest positive. Constant success could simply mean good awareness, and constant failure means poor awareness.”

“A mix of the two is acceptable, and mistakes shouldn’t be seen as weakness, unless their lesson is not learned. What you will typically find in history, especially warfare, is one side continuing to use tactics that worked at first, and then confronted with an enemy that had learned from their mistakes, who then turns the tide of the war. In this way, constant success is not always the best sign. Stagnation and blind arrogance are the enemies of progress. Because nothing lasts forever, especially if one refuses to adapt and change.”

“Line five of the code – ‘True awareness of the force allows freedom of choice, and that is the ultimate victory.’ Tying directly into the last line, this line highlights how one through great understanding can achieve the ultimate victory. A force user does not need to be a grand master Jedi, or the Sith’ari, which is the ultimate goal of all Sith, to be powerful, content, or successful in their lives. Both sides of the force claim the opposites for their final line, victory, and death, or non-death in this case since all life is the force. Either way, they are of both extremes. Balance is not attained in life through these two codes; ultimate strife or ultimate peace. That’s it. There is no middle ground here. But not with the Code of Balance. Points of view are as valid and strong as mobilized armies; therefore, not being content with domination or sacrifice, another option is just as legitimate.”

“The one constant everyone will find in their travels throughout our galaxy of sentient’s, is love. With the Sith, and with the Jedi, love is either holding you back, or is a weakness that is forbidden. Love is dangerous with the force yes, but as the first line of the Code of Balance goes, it can be controlled with proper discipline and instruction. Awareness of self, of others, and of history, can lead you safely along this line. Otherwise, the greatest victory one can possibly achieve would forever be denied to them; which is of course, the ability to love, and to keep that love in their life.”

“Take the lessons I teach in this holocron to heart if you are to follow the Code of Balance, because it is much more difficult otherwise, especially when compared to being a member of either the Sith or Jedi. Detailed within, are countless hours of instruction . . .”

Jion stopped it here, and turned it off. It was a lot to think about. Now he understood why Kaida accepted him that day on the cruise ship. The old Jedi master had basically told her that it was alright to love. Although, with time he assumed she would have listened to his instructions on how to cope with it, so as not to lose herself to the dark side. If anything, that little part of him that had told him to attempt to use the holocron had been proven correct. It was exactly what he needed; because if he was anything at the moment, it was out of balance. He needed to find a new purpose.

The fantasy of having Kaida here with him while they lived in their own home and raised crops was just that, a fantasy. Even if she were here, he didn’t know if he could live the life of a farmer, and would probably get himself involved with either exploring the planet, or taking off to find something, anything more adventurous than living like this. Although he wasn’t being truly honest with himself, since he really did love that woman, and might have chosen to give up everything if just to be with her, even if that meant a life here. So now that she was gone, it was easy to think that this wasn’t the place for him. Perhaps he just needed time he hoped. Perhaps none of it mattered. He was alive, Kaida wasn’t, and there was no place for him anywhere else, so he might as well try to make the best of it.

As the days wore on, and Jion continually focused on the holocron at night while helping to build the cabin during the day, he came to the conclusion that the biggest question he had was why. Why did Kaida have to die right after both of them had been freed? He felt wronged by the galaxy, the universe, the force. His happiness was at hand, and it had been so horribly taken away. Anger at the injustice of it all was difficult to overcome, but he did his best anyway. For most, he believed such a tragic ending like that would have turned them to the darkside. Although for him, after everything he’d experienced with Cae’tel, and then trying to keep Kaida from falling, the worst thing he could do to dishonor his experiences and his lost love was for himself to fall too. That was the greatest gift his wife imparted upon him. What not to be like.

Neren, Kossj, and Tarko, gave him his space, though he detected a lot of empathy and pity from them, especially Neren. She had tried to make small talk when she could, something just so Jion knew that the others were there. Other than what was needed to be said in order for their work to be carried out, Jion was as quiet as he’d ever been. This went on for the next month when the barn and the cabin were completed, and then they began on the fence, but by this point most of the work had been completed. Tarko came to talk to Jion at the end of the day, and for the first time someone interrupted him in his special spot.

“I see you’re using the holocron,” he said coming to sit on a log, next to where Jion sat on his meditation mat.

The Chiss nodded in return. Jion continued to stare out towards the valley like he always did, this while his captain faced him.

“It gets dark up here without any light on a cloudy evening like this. You wouldn’t want to fall off the edge of the cliff or anything, Blue.”

“Chiss have vastly superior low light vision compared to Humans. Things you can’t see, are lit up quite well for me.”

“It must be the red eyes then.” They sat in silence for a few minutes, until Tarko spoke again. “I’m content here. I didn’t think I would be, since I just thought it would be a good way to lay low for a while. I think Neren wants to visit the other farms in the area, which would probably be a good thing. My name doesn’t inspire much welcome.”

“If you don’t mind captain, I would like to be alone tonight.”

“That’s just it Blue, you are always alone. Even when working next to us you seem alone. Isn’t almost two months of being like that enough?” Jion turned and met his eyes. Tarko looked away, “Sorry. I can see you really loved her, but this can’t go on forever.”

Jion looked back towards the valley. He watched the cabin, and the lights inside, and how it lit up the edge of The Uin that was parked a few dozen meters away. It was a dark evening, and felt like it could rain soon. The holocron sat at arm’s length from him in its usual spot, though even if Tarko left right now, he didn’t think he would be in the mood to hear the old master’s voice again.

“And if it does?” replied Jion after a long moment of silence.

“Blue, do you know why this planet was settled?” Jion didn’t answer, “Well I will tell you anyway. My people came here from the Sith Empire, before they went to war with the Republic. About three generations ago, a captain of a large freighter on an agricultural world, took on board several hundred farmers. This after the Sith lord in charge made an example of us because their quota was so low. This happened, because there was a large meteor that hit the ocean, and sent up clouds that blocked out the sun for half that year.”

Tarko cleared his throat, “The Sith Lord didn’t care about excuses, and killed hundreds of people because of it. Anti-Empire feelings reached a high, and the people rallied together, eventually killing the Sith Lord. Not wanting to face Imperial reprisals, as many people left the world as was possible. They all went in different directions. Though there were too many people, and not enough transports to get away. My father told me, his father said there were at least a hundred thousand left behind, and the Emperor declared that the whole world had to be purged. This is why my people searched for and settled this place. They were led by the captain of the freighter, who was the father of my adoptive father. Though I was told it was by chance luck they found this place at all. This world is unknown to practically the whole galaxy, and the Penetairan’s would like to keep it that way.”

Jion turned back to Tarko, “Interesting history, although I fail to see what it has to do with me?”

“It has lots to do with you Blue. When you don’t fit into a place, you need to find a place you can. This life, it doesn’t suit you. I don’t say this because I want you to go; I say it because I want you to go do what you need to do. Don’t stay here because you think Tarko needs you. In many ways being stuck here, I can see it purging you too, just like the emperor purged that farming world. And you need to get out while you can, while you are still alive.”

Jion nodded.

“What happened to Kaida was . . . it was horrible, and I am very sorry. You deserved better. Though now you must move on. She would have wanted you to.”

“Where am I supposed to go? Don’t forget that there is also the matter of the price on my head.”

“You can’t go back to your own people?”

“If I were to make contact again, I would be treated as an outcast. At least if I desire any place of significance. The elite military unit I was part of is not simply something one walks away from lightly. Only someone as important as a Sith master or one of the ruling houses would have the influence to take someone from it. I could go back, back as a nobody who’d have to live at the very bottom of society like a pauper, with little options to climb. People’s places are very set in our culture, and I’ve been placed in limbo. I’ve not had anything contact with them for ten years. So, as far as I’m concerned, my place in the Chiss Ascendency ended when Cae’tel took me from it.”

The captain cleared his throat once again, “The price on your head won’t matter if you’re with the right people. Perhaps go to the Republic, and seek the Jedi out?”

Jion smirked, “The Sith would sooner accept me. At least I understand their ways. The Jedi? I could never become one of them. I would have too much to give up.”

“Then what about the Sith?”

He turned to face Tarko, “Are you serious?”

“Well I don’t think playing the smuggler anymore will fit for you. You kept your force abilities hidden from me and the rest of the crew for a long time,” Tarko scratched the blonde stubble on his chin. “Now I understand why you were so good at what you did. Would you give your force powers up?”

Jion shook his head slightly.

“I didn’t think so. I only know of two places for one like you to fit in; so if not the Jedi, then why not the Sith?”

“I’ll have to think about it. I am aware of some interest that would be placed on the holocron within the Empire. However, that doesn’t mean I want to deal with their likeness again.”

““The holocron is worth a lot of money. It is an ancient Jedi artifact after all. Maybe there would be a position for it in academic circles? In a place you don’t have to face down Sith dogma all day.”

Jion nodded, “It is something to consider. Although, most Sith would reject the holocron anyway. However, in the right circles, a few might be bothered to listen. I find what it has to say compelling.”

“Then I’ll leave you to it. Think about where you want to go, and I’ll take you to a place where you can get there.” said Tarko as he stood, and after watching Jion for a few seconds he left him to be by himself.

“So?” asked Kossj, a couple of his tendrils twitched.

Jion stopped packing his things away, and looked at him quizzically, “Hmm?”

“Do you know where you are you going?”

“I have an idea. Why, care to tag along for a bit?”

“I will, it’s been about three months now. Tarko has his farm up, and he seems happy; happier than I’ve ever seen him. I’m not sure why he left this place if he was so content with this kind of life to begin with.”

“He has his reasons Kossj.”

“The stars and the holonet are the life for me. I can’t stick around here anymore, I’m starting to lose my mind,” said Kossj while handing Jion a few things to put away.

“Weapons, you can leave. All I need is my last blaster.”

Kossj glanced at his belt, “And Kaida’s lightsaber.”

Jion turned and went to grab the rest of his energy packs from the locker, “That too.”

“I’m sorry Blue, are you going to be alright?”

“I’ll live,” he said while filling his duffle bag, and for a few minutes there was silence. Kossj kept himself busy while playing with his datapad, “What about you? Where are you going?”

“Me?” Kossj looked up at him. “I’m not sure, maybe my home world. Where my family lives on Glee Anselm, it’s quite stormy this time of year; although the weather is unpredictable even at the best of times. I might just go there and lay low for a few years. That way I can be around people, and still do my thing on the holonet. Out here, I get neither.”

“You don’t need to be out romping around space and getting yourself in trouble to make a living Kossj. The bounty on The Uin’s crew would make it dangerous. You’re quite good at slicing, one of the better ones I’ve come across in my time. So why not stay at home and just stick with that? It may not be honest, but at least you’ll be safer.”

“Well, we are aliens right? I’ve heard humans say, ‘You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.’ They wouldn’t be able to tell me apart from other Nautolan’s, at least the brown ones. That and I like to get out and have an adventure once in a while. I hate to be tied down in one place; especially this one, bleh.”

Jion smirked as he finished and zipped up his bag. “Maybe you just need another to settle down with. Things change when you . . . um . . . get close to someone.”

Kossj looked at him and smirked, “I’ve never had that. Anyways, Tarko said he’d spend a few days shuttling us to the nearest Republic world. From there we can go wherever we like.”

“Yes, the Republic.” Jion knew his fate lay elsewhere. His people had joined the Sith Empire in their war of aggression against them. Half of Republic space had been taken away, and they were left much weakened by the war. Though on the other hand the Empire had fought them to a stalemate, and neither side could continue. Chiss were reclusive, and were very rarely, if at all ever seen outside their space before aligning with the Empire. So the chances of finding his kind in the Republic were virtually nil. That and those of his race wouldn’t exactly be welcomed there. This left him with nowhere else to go but to the Sith.

Though he wasn’t a fool; the Jedi would send him away if he came in preaching the Code of Balance, where as the Sith would more than likely just kill him. So he would need to be discrete. It was essentially for his own interests anyhow, he wasn’t out to convert others. There would be people out there that would listen, but it would be the force that sends them his way. He was interested in comparing it to Sith records however, if they would allow him access. That, and perhaps some Sith would be willing to openly talk about philosophy as well.

“I’ve spent too much time alone, and glued to the holonet. If there’s anything I’ve learned from being here, it’s that it’s nice to be around people sometimes,” said Kossj.

Jion nodded, “Well I’m ready. I’ll just put my things in the lounge, and go get Tarko.”

“But I haven’t even started packing. I better get on that right away.”

Inwardly Jion smiled. Kossj kept his quarters messy, where as Jion was immaculately neat and tidy. The Nautolan had piles of datapads in different working conditions, with different programs running his nefarious slicing schemes strewn all over when they shared accommodations. Jion was just thankful that he didn’t decide to include his bed as part of the disaster area. That, would have forced him to say something.

Kossj sped from the room and ran towards his quarters, his foot stomps rattling the metal floor plating all the way. Jion set his bags down and decided to give Kossj some time. He popped open an ale, and sat in what everyone knew to be the most comfortable chair in the lounge. It was the one Tarko always took. He’d go help Kossj, but he didn’t even want to see the bantha wreck that his room would be in. Neren joined him some twenty minutes later, just when he had finished nursing his drink.

“Hey Blue,” she sat in a chair and faced him. He’d started being talkative a little more in the past few weeks; with Neren the most. There was something about her that enabled him to open up. She seemed to have a way of getting through to him.

“Neren,” he nodded.

“So I hear you’re actually going to leave today.”

She’d known all about it, since they’ve already discussed it a few times, and this was her way of bringing it up again, “Yes. That would be the plan.”

“I’ll be sad to see you go.”

Jion smirked, “Well, would you be happy here?”

“I think so. Herding nerfs was . . . brutal at first, but Tarko knows his stuff. I’ve learned so much too.”

“That doesn’t tell me if you’d be happy here.”

“It’s tough but I think I could get used to it.”

“Neren . . .”

“Ok, there’s a cute guy who lives on the closest farm to us. He’s single too,” she smiled.

“If you’re already checking out the local’s, then you probably would be happy here.”

She eyed him, “So how about you? Where are you going to go?”

Jion sighed, “The Sith, since I don’t seem to have much of a choice.”

“So like I said before, I hope you’re not leaving because Tarko said you should. You know you’ll always be welcome here Blue.”

He nodded, “No, Tarko is right. This isn’t the place for me. I need to find myself, out there. Here, there’s nothing for me but you and him, and raising . . . nerfs I suppose.”

“Yup, raising those big stinking, hairy things; I can’t get the smell off anymore.”

“I’m surprised you can still smell them at all.”

“I can,” she pointed to her nose, “Its sensitive. Why the Sith though? Couldn’t you do any better?”

“Apparently not. I’ll be alright, I promise,” their eyes met and he felt that Neren understood that he had to go to them. There was no other place for him. Jion was technically a Sith himself, though more of a neutral non-threatening one. Regardless, he did know a few names of Sith lords he had met in person while traveling the Empire with Cae’tel. The war had ended six months before meeting Cae’tel. Besides which, he was too young, and too inexperienced in the force to fight in the war against the Republic even if it had dragged on for a few more years. That being said, his wife had fought in the last years as an apprentice to some dark lord that she gloated about killing when it was over.

He could use her name, and claim he did the same thing to her, which was sort of what happened. Neren made the killing blow, but he’d distracted her enough to get her to let down her guard. Or there was the possibility that she allowed it to happen after she realized she couldn’t go through with murdering her husband. If that was the case, then it was her way out, because Darth Isenikaar wouldn’t have understood. No follower of the darkside would. She loved him, and had said as much at the end.

“You better be. Or I’ll come find you,” her words snapped Jion back to reality.

“Who’ll watch the farm when Tarko’s away? Are you coming with us or staying?”

“Well, I’ll be staying of course.”

“Alone? Out here?”

“You know that guy I was talking about? Tarko talked him into coming over here to help with the farm while he’s gone.”

“Oh . . .” Jion chuckled, “So that’s why you’re so eager to stay.”

“Uh huh,” she grinned while her eyes lit up.

“Well it’s quite early in the morning, and Tarko said he’d take us today. I suppose that means he’ll be here really soon then.”

“Oh yeah. Tarko was just getting up and going out to do his morning rounds.”

“Shouldn’t you be helping?”

“He knows I’m here to say good bye to you. He can wait.”

“I see. So what if it turns out you can’t trust this cute guy when we’re gone?”

“Oh you mean if he tries to touch me without permission?” She padded the side of her blaster at her hip, “I can take care of myself. Remember where I came from Blue. Nar Shaddaa would either teach you to look out for yourself, or die before you ever even had the chance.”

A few hours later, the Nautolan was finally ready, and Jion went to fetch Tarko. He and Kossj said their goodbyes to Neren, and she gave a heartfelt hug to Jion amid her tears. It bothered him to leave her, because to Jion, she felt like the sister he never had, and there was a good chance they’d never see each other again. Penataire was too remote, and too far off the grid. He’d remember the coordinates, but didn’t know if he would ever be making it back. Jion didn’t even have his own ship, which didn’t help. The last thing he’d do is reveal the world to someone else by chartering a private transport back here.

He just hoped Kossj would remember to not ever blab about the place. Not that there would be much interest for anyone coming out here anyway. Penataire traded amongst themselves, and there were no cities or towns, just small farming communities. Jion came to the conclusion that there was less than a thousand people planet wide. Tarko had spoken of issues with the odd Mandalorian raider, but apparently none of the people had seen them return in decades.

Tarko swiveled in his chair, and looked at Jion. So this is it, you and Talkie are going. Maybe we’ll see you again, maybe not, but it’s been a pleasure knowing you Jion,” he said before extending his hand out to him.

Jion clasped his hand and they shook briefly, “You too Tarko. I don’t know where I’d be if it weren’t for you.”

“Listen; find some place out there that suits you. You’re a young and highly capable man, or Chiss. However you say it.”

Jion chuckled, “Either way will do."

Kossj had been hovering around behind them, just outside the cockpit and listening. “And you Talkie! Go get yourself some Nautolan and be happy for once. This ship fixing, slicing thing you do, it’s not a life!”

If Kossj could roll his eyes, Jion swore he just did, “I plan to boss. I plan to. It’s been fun knowing you both.”

Tarko nodded, then swiveled back to the controls. “Let’s get The Uin started then.”

Jion sat in the copilot’s seat and watched the world below solemnly as the ship lifted off. The last thing he saw was Neren waving up to them from the cabin entrance, and then bright blue sky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...