The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Diminishing returns on Shielding and Absorption?

technomonkey

I too want to thank everyone for their work and explanations on this. This is EXACTLY the information I need right now.

I leveled as a PVP tank, but now that i'm in a guild that's active (long story) I want to do more HM's and Ops. So I have been trying to figure out what stats to focus on when I get new gear. My BM Supercommando set is passable right now. But I need to get a PVE set.

So this thread has been incredibly useful when looking at the stat changes between BM sets and Columi/Rakata/Black Hole sets.

Thanks to Justcae for your explanations...

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Let me add my thanks also Justcae. Very helpful info.

Some bosses have few, and in some cases no shieldable attacks (Zorn or Stormcaller in EC for example).

Can they be dodged . . . making a Guardian a better tank for those two bosses?

Thanks guys.

Let me add my thanks also Justcae. Very helpful info.

Can they be dodged . . . making a Guardian a better tank for those two bosses?

No they can not.

Only standard Melee and Ranged attacks are able to be dodged/shielded. Tech/Force attacks can not be defended against.

Summation: Dodge and Shield work on the same things.

Side note: This effect is true for NPC's as well. It's why your Tech attacks are never dodged/shielded yet you will have dodges with High Impact Bolt and Full Auto even with their base accuracy of 100%. Which is why you'll see people put their accuracy on things over 100%. To lower the defense chance of NPC's.

Edited by Justcae

Thanks guys.

No they can not.

Only standard Melee and Ranged attacks are able to be dodged/shielded. Tech/Force attacks can not be defended against.

Summation: Dodge and Shield work on the same things.

Side note: This effect is true for NPC's as well. It's why your Tech attacks are never dodged/shielded yet you will have dodges with High Impact Bolt and Full Auto even with their base accuracy of 100%. Which is why you'll see people put their accuracy on things over 100%. To lower the defense chance of NPC's.

The vanguard tanking 4 peice gives you 2 % dodge against tech/force attacks. It reads as a resist if im not mistaken. Im not sure if you would count this, but it does open up the window for you to dodge force/tech abilities.

The vanguard tanking 4 peice gives you 2 % dodge against tech/force attacks. It reads as a resist if im not mistaken. Im not sure if you would count this, but it does open up the window for you to dodge force/tech abilities.

Dodge is for melee and ranged (or parry for melee characters), resist is for tech and force. Both are referred to as "defense." Defense rating, however, only increases dodge (or parry) chance. Resistance is very rare. The only ways I know to get it are from that set bonus and from the resilience ability.

Edited by BlastingGravy