Alignment choices in games

Benfea

I'm not sure what forum to put this in, sorry if it's the wrong one.

I'm curious about what sorts of choices other players make with regard to moral choices in games in general, and this game in particular.

Sadly, most games sort of force you into extremes: completely good or completely evil. There is usually little reward for walking a more realistic path between the two. Anyway, when I was younger, I always tried both out whenever the choice was available. I enjoyed being the noble hero, then re-experiencing a game to see what was different as a horrible villain.

Oddly enough, it was while playing either KotOR 1 or 2 that I changed. Somewhere along the way, being a puppy-kicker stopped being funny. I dunno why. Ever since then, I just can't bring myself to play through as a puppy-kicker. I even avoided playing undead characters in World of Warcraft because I found the storylines fairly evil.

So now here I am in a MMORPG with a moral system that has actual effects on the storyline, which should be all the more reason to explore every nook and cranny, right? I rolled a low level Sith character and tried to pick all the puppy-kicker choices but found myself taking all the goody-two-shoes choices all over again.

*sigh*

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone else's stories if they have one. Do you find yourself preferring one over the other? No preference?