Weapons

They can use a rifle, but they are gimping themselves if they do so.

It is as simple as that.

Nothing prevents you from using a rifle to play through solo content, but if you are going to join a group you are doing the other players a disservice if you choose to use a rifle.

Edited by Mithros

A friend once told me that commandos can use blaster rifles, but many of their moves require the assault cannons, so they basically have to have them.

Well two moves Charged bolts and Hail of bolts. But you got to remember Cannons do 20% more damage so your autofire and and hi-impact bolts will be much weaker.

For combat medics: Go for it. As long as your doing pure healing it's fine. Of course if you get a chance to attack your worth less due to weaker attacks and no charged bolts.

For Gunnery: Grav Round is your main attack, but auto fire is your proc shot so you be doing quite a bit less damage. I wouldn't but if you want I won't stop you. Please keep a cannon with you for when you group though.

For Assault: Charged bolts is both your main attack and your main trigger for your proc. You got nothing like this. Pretty much unplayable.