Which for solo questing?

Mrceto

Hiya folks,

I'm looking to make either a Jedi strictly for solo questing, I have it narrowed down to either a Sentinel or one of the Consular advanced classes. Which one would give me the easiest time with the class story boss mobs and groups of mobs?

Thanks!

Jedi Shadow, tank build, dps gear, Theran as companion (healer, you get him early at Nar Shaadaa).

Stealth is uber for questing. Killing can be a tad slow with this combination so skipping mobs is nice.

Hiya folks,

I'm looking to make either a Jedi strictly for solo questing, I have it narrowed down to either a Sentinel or one of the Consular advanced classes. Which one would give me the easiest time with the class story boss mobs and groups of mobs?

Thanks!

Guardian or Shadow, both as tanking builds are pretty easy.

Remember though that classes cant be changed. So if you roll a sentinal and want to tank later, you're out of luck.

As someone whose first lvl 50 was a shadow, I can't stress this enough - DO NOT GO WITH A SHADOW!

Until the very last levels, shadows are utterly boring and tedious to play. They have the worst class design ever, with everything being based on procs off a single skill you get at lvl 1. You won't be doing anything except Double Strike, Double Strike, Double Strike, oh look a proc - something else, Double Strike, Double Strike, Double gaaaaaaah!1!!!! Up until 20-30 you won't even have anything to proc decently and without procs, Double Strike is your most efficient attack in regards to damage per point of force after TK Throw (which is easily interrupted) and Force in Balance (which you have to trait for and it has a longish cooldown). So unless you really don't mind a boring as hell rotation, don't go with a shadow. Also, shadows probably have the worst AoE capability in the game, and that's extremely important while leveling.

On the other hand, I can't recommend sage and both knight advanced classes enough. All three of them are loads of fun to play and much more powerful than a shadow during leveling. Shadows are fine as tanks at 50 and as DPS if you can stomach their rotations, but for leveling, they are abysmal.

As someone whose first lvl 50 was a shadow, I can't stress this enough - DO NOT GO WITH A SHADOW!

Until the very last levels, shadows are utterly boring and tedious to play. They have the worst class design ever, with everything being based on procs off a single skill you get at lvl 1. You won't be doing anything except Double Strike, Double Strike, Double Strike, oh look a proc - something else, Double Strike, Double Strike, Double gaaaaaaah!1!!!! Up until 20-30 you won't even have anything to proc decently and without procs, Double Strike is your most efficient attack in regards to damage per point of force after TK Throw (which is easily interrupted) and Force in Balance (which you have to trait for and it has a longish cooldown). So unless you really don't mind a boring as hell rotation, don't go with a shadow. Also, shadows probably have the worst AoE capability in the game, and that's extremely important while leveling.

On the other hand, I can't recommend sage and both knight advanced classes enough. All three of them are loads of fun to play and much more powerful than a shadow during leveling. Shadows are fine as tanks at 50 and as DPS if you can stomach their rotations, but for leveling, they are abysmal.

I guess the shadow is my next class to have, the less buttons to press the better, sentinel is not my class to play, WAY too many buttons, i mean, why bioware couldn't make the guardians' Armor-debuffing ability to be the main focus generator i will never understand.

Hiya folks,

Thanks!

My shadow-dps-healer companion just put a champion mob down to 1/2 help on his own. Stealth is kickass no-matter what you do, and the class is versitile enough to do anything you want in the game. I would reccomend it for solo purely because it *can* work well in a group as a surporting tank or DPS.

The guy bashing shadow is just ... wrong. I use double strike a lot, but not more than anything else.

Edited by VraelOplo

I have a bunch of Jedis at level 25-30, so I'm not sure about the levels after this, but...

My Shadow is the most fun of all of them. For Solo questing, Stealth is a mind-saver. I never have to grind ANYTHING, I just stealth my way through to the quest objectives. I get to do pretty much all the quests on each planet this way too, instead of over-leveling after just a few areas.

As for Double Strike - I know it's one of my saber attacks, but I don't really remember which one it is. I've made it to nearly level 30 without using any one attack repeatedly. I do like Project, though. It's my favorite animation in the game. AFAIK, it's the only attack animation that varies in any way.

Sentinel is fun too, though. You and your companion both get to leap into battle. I try to time the attacks so they happen simultaneously. I love picturing the look on the mob's face as two Jedi, sabers a-blazin', fall from the sky at them...

its your opinion but if you are spamming DS then you have the problem. if you are talking about tanking AoE being the worst in the game then again you have the problem. shadow / assassin tanks are really strong atm so soloing thru content is super easy and dont bother with a healer comp unless its a champion+ mob. i have 2 shadow / assassin tanks, 1 VG, 2 BH, 1 IA, 1 SC, 1 SI, and 1 SW. VG / PT was the most boring when rotation came into play. shadows can run thru any H2 - H4 that other classes cannot (stealth helps but so does self healing...til 1.3.)

yea i have too many alts.

Edited by vojinsa

its your opinion but if you are spamming DS then you have the problem.

If you're doing pretty much anything except spamming DS for procs on a shadow you're horribly force-inefficient and your fights will take longer because of that. The exceptions are Slow Time, Force in Balance, and Whirling Blow at 4+ targets, but the latter is so horrible that you'll kill a mob faster by killing targets one at a time via DS procs or ST/FiB.

if you are talking about tanking AoE being the worst in the game then again you have the problem.

Taking AoE on a shadow is ok once you're at 40+, but the OP wanted advice about solo questing. That you'll be doing while leveling (I don't consider dailies for that because.... argh) and there's a long way till 40 if you solo.

Shadows really are super easy, but you have to be ok with a very simple rotation that doesn't change much as you level or you're gonna bleed boredom through your every orifice. If that's your cup of tea by all means go ahead, I thought I'd like it simple too but got burned out by it very quickly.