Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Servers, queues, and instancing

Amatsuka

So, with the massive amount of instancing in game, even to the point of having multiple copies of the same planet once one fills up, why do we need separate servers at all? It seems kind of archaic to be holding onto them while otherwise embracing instancing. I mean, the sheer amount of complaining and preparation for queue times should push people in this direction. If there's only one server, there's no queues. The difference between having three copies of a planet and 500 to me is negligible really especially if I can play with whoever I want without having to roll another character somewhere else.

In my opinion the world instancing is too extreme. I mean come on....The most I've seen on one instance is 141... It ridiculous. It makes the game feel empty. If a 7 year old WoW can have more, I'm sure this game can. Or is Bioware and EA that damn cheap on servers?