Endurance vs. Defensive Stats - End Game Raiding Tanks

Rischardo

Hey Fellow PT Tanks,

With 1.3 right around the corner (supposedly), I've been trying to prep as much as I can in advance for augments and augment kits. Just for a little fun, I went and tried to create a character on Askmrrobot.com that would closely resemble what I was shooting for in 1.3. Here's what I got:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/8d276e59-c4a9-4b1b-8b84-ee529021a5e0

Note that I wasn't able to put in 5 augments (bracers/belt/relics/offhand), so 90 defense is missing. I also intend on using the BM PvP Defense relic (+103 defense) and I always run with an endurance/def stim on (104 end/43def) that mrrobot won't show. So essentially, my currently planned defense will be at 587 (~21%)

So a couple points for discussion:

1. Now that we can hit the severe DRs in all three defensive categories, are we at the point where it would be better to have some endurance augments/go for mods&enhancements that have more endurance than defensive stats?

2. If we do start to stack some endurance, is the Integrated Cardio Package worth another look? I always felt that 3% endurance for 3 talent points was laughable, but also consider that: a. Rocket Punch damage is getting nerfed anyways so Ironfist isn't as good anymore and b. IGC will grant 50% more threat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Cookies?

Imo it should never be the case of choosing more Endurance over a Defensive Stat no matter how harsh DR gets, I mean, HP doesn't mitigate anything (for us anyway), it's just... HP. Even if you go for Def Stats> End you'll still end up at 23k HP (with +5% End buff and +3% from Cardio Package), 24.something k Hp with stim, more then enough really.

And yeah since threat is a non-issue (even now, let alone 1.3) I guess 31/7/3 makes more sense then the old 31/8/2

Imo it should never be the case of choosing more Endurance over a Defensive Stat no matter how harsh DR gets, I mean, HP doesn't mitigate anything (for us anyway), it's just... HP. Even if you go for Def Stats> End you'll still end up at 23k HP (with +5% End buff and +3% from Cardio Package), 24.something k Hp with stim, more then enough really.

And yeah since threat is a non-issue (even now, let alone 1.3) I guess 31/7/3 makes more sense then the old 31/8/2

Well, here's the other thing that concerns me and I just noticed: Our Blackhole gear has a ton of mods that have more aim/defensive stat than endurance. I couldn't figure out why my endurance was so low (and why my DPS was comparatively high for a tank) compared to another similarly geared Powertech until I saw that most of my mods are of the "+12 aim, +9-10 defensive stat, but -19 endurance" variety.

From a purely defensive stand point, I'd say that 9-10 of defense/absorp is not worth 19 endurance, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't know how much of a difference having 26-7k health is compared to only have 24-5k.

Well for the sake of healthy discussion let's compare two mods:

Advanced Weighted Mod 26 vs Advanced Weighted Mod 26B

+53 Aim _ +41 Aim

+32 End _ +53 End

+41 Abs _ +32 Abs

With 8 Mod slots (Armor, Belt, Bracers and Main Hand) we're talking about:

+72 Abs vs +168 End

That 72 Abs Rating means, depending on DR, what, 2-3%? So the question is would you prefer to mitigate another 100 dmg when you shield (which is quite often) which stacks up to god knows how much at the end of the fight or would you rather have the extra 1.7k hp at the start of the fight which does nothing for how hard the boss hits you.

Wish I knew good math as I'm sure somehow there's a way to prove which is better D:

Edited by Suryi

Wish I knew good math as I'm sure somehow there's a way to prove which is better D:

Me too. There was some link around here where someone calculated "effective health", basically how long before you die. I wish I could find it.

Our enhancements also have a similar issue. Basically it's:

Advanced Bulwark Enhancement 26: 45 end, 57 shield, 22 absorp

Advanced Vigilant Enhancement 26: 57 end, 53 shield, 12 absorp

Difference: 12 end vs. 4 shield and 10 absorp

Difference across 6 enhancement slots: 72 end vs. 24 shield and 60 absorp

I say in this case, Bulwark is probably a little better, but again, I'm not sure.

I've started trying to stack defense, at least for augments. I'm already getting diminishing returns on shield and absorb, but our default defense is the lowest of all the tanks, so it's reasonable to pump up without issues.

A couple of the recent dev posts have also mentioned how the current operations bosses lean heavily toward tech/force attacks instead of weapon damage, so avoidance is more important than shielding.

I've started trying to stack defense, at least for augments. I'm already getting diminishing returns on shield and absorb, but our default defense is the lowest of all the tanks, so it's reasonable to pump up without issues.

A couple of the recent dev posts have also mentioned how the current operations bosses lean heavily toward tech/force attacks instead of weapon damage, so avoidance is more important than shielding.

Yeah, I'm going to augment most, if not all, of my gear with defense.

The devs said that mitigation is more important than shielding. Does defense count as mitigation? To my knowledge, we dodge and shield against the same type of attacks.