[Guide] The Jedi Sage's Handbook

AstralFire

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, where's the Enhancement Mod that offers Crit and Power, then? I'd gladly give up a few Enhancement copies for high Crit + low Power and high Power + low Crit Enhancement recipes. But they don't exist. Edited by BarGamer

So, where's the Enhancement Mod that offers Crit and Power, then? I'd gladly give up a few Enhancement copies for high Crit + low Power and high Power + low Crit Enhancement recipes. But they don't exist.

You seem to have answered your own question, they don't exist. If you don't need surge anymore your options are:

Power/Alacrity

Crit/Alacrity

Disturbance: This is an offensive ability. In leveling content, I recommend using the Offensive Leveling (30/9/2) build

All of those specs but I do not see the build I leveled with: Start out 0/0/18 into 21/2/18.

You're nearly unkillable PvE and just plow content much faster than you can with the sugguested "Leveling (30/9/2) build". Couldn't recommend this to a solo'er enough 21/2/18, and I used Qyzen as he strikes the right balance between the DPS and Tanking needs.

The crux is getting to PoM and Containment.

Spam your heavily talented TK throw and use the procs for Turbulence and Mind Crush.

An Instacast Force Lift makes questing trivial, including the storyline instances.

Once you get your AE, you bubble up with force amor and AE spam normal mob packs.

Edited by Lotharun

Spam your heavily talented TK throw and use the procs for Turbulence and Mind Crush.

Turbulence is a 31-point Telekinetics talent. Disturbance is the only ability aside from Mind Crush that could benefit from PoM with your suggested spec. Is that what you meant?

Also, for a solo-leveler wouldn't the 2 points in Pain Bearer be better spent in Wisdom? A more powerful companion coupled with stronger outgoing heals seems more useful than a boost to personal healing received, since if you have to heal yourself often enough to make Pain Bearer valuable, you're doing it wrong in the first place.

Otherwise, looks like a nice spec to level with; gives you enough DPS output to make solo-questing bearable, and provides the option to run FPs as a healer. I think I'll give it a whirl on my new sage.

Edited by abeh

Thanks for your work on this great thread AstralFire! :cool:

Could you please update your Skills on the Sever Force Balanced build? Things like Psychokinesis don't exist anymore.

Thanks.

That's a bug with TORhead. Some talents in the shared trees for classes occasionally bleed through to the other AC. Psychokinesis is a Shadow talent in the same spot as Critical Kinesis, hence the bleed through.

That said, Astral's last activity was 2 weeks ago now. I'm not even sure he's still playing let alone checking the forums.

Edited by Khadroth

Turbulence is a 31-point Telekinetics talent. Disturbance is the only ability aside from Mind Crush that could benefit from PoM with your suggested spec. Is that what you meant?

Also, for a solo-leveler wouldn't the 2 points in Pain Bearer be better spent in Wisdom? A more powerful companion coupled with stronger outgoing heals seems more useful than a boost to personal healing received, since if you have to heal yourself often enough to make Pain Bearer valuable, you're doing it wrong in the first place.

Otherwise, looks like a nice spec to level with; gives you enough DPS output to make solo-questing bearable, and provides the option to run FPs as a healer. I think I'll give it a whirl on my new sage.

Okay, I'm home looking at my Sage. It is indeed Disturbance that I use the PoM procs for when Mind Crush is on cooldown. As to the points in Wisdom, that makes sense. The healing side starts to shine once you get Rejuv and Conveyance and only gets stronger from there on.

Oh, and is mentioned above, it's not exact but you'll get the idea. I have Critical Kinesis (2/2) where ToRhead shows Psychokinsesis.

Edited by Lotharun

Hi, just wanted to say I appreciate the great guide, keep it up!

However I noticed the bug section isn't exactly up to date.

Telekinetic Momentum works great and is actually very fun in AoE situations ;)

Tremors do apply the buff they should (although I did not specifically test if the buff does have an effect).

NOTABLE ISSUES

- Telekinetic Momentum does not activate, and Tremors does not do additional damage, essentially crippling deep Telekinetic specializations.

Hey everybody!

We apologize over any confusion that has arisen over the recent chance to un-sticky this thread. Last week we contacted AstralFire in regards to this thread and the Jedi Shadow's Handbook as both hadn't been updated in awhile, but we have yet to receive a response.

Should somebody wish to create their own guide with updated info, and be able to maintain it as necessary, that would be fantastic. Just please note that we ask that all guides be as up-to-date as possible.

Thanks!

bump for a great guide that's no longer stickied!!

It's no longer stickied because it's out of date and the OP isn't even playing anymore. Hopefully someone will create a new guide soon and actually keep it up to date and relevant. If not, I might eventually get around to posting the guide I made for my guild.

Edited by Khadroth

Some of the stuff in this guide is driving me nuts. People tell me that a dps balance Sage's (or any consular) cannot make use of Absorb or shield gear mods or otherwise.

But this guide mentions them as important. I am trying to make the best mods 4 my Sage. Arrrrrgh! Still have not found anything for PVE help online. It's all PVP crap.

Any1 doing this guide with current info?

Some of the stuff in this guide is driving me nuts. People tell me that a dps balance Sage's (or any consular) cannot make use of Absorb or shield gear mods or otherwise.

But this guide mentions them as important. I am trying to make the best mods 4 my Sage. Arrrrrgh! Still have not found anything for PVE help online. It's all PVP crap.

Any1 doing this guide with current info?

You may want to read it again. The only place those stats are mentioned are in the overall description of all stats. Perhaps that section is misleading. However, if you read the individual spec guides, there are sections in each that describe 'Gearing.' None of those make any mention of defensive stats, let alone their importance (or lack thereof.)

That aside, the simple fact is that your character must have a shield generator equipped in order to make use of Shield Rating and Absorption stats. Since sage consulars are restricted to force focus offhands and cannot equip shield generators, these stats are useless to them. Shadow consulars, on the other hand, can use both force focus and shield generators. The generator is activated when Combat Technique is toggled on, and the rating and absorption stats become useful.

As this guide DOES state, crit, surge, power and alacrity are useful secondary stats for sage consulars, and their relative value is dependent on spec and how much you have of each. Defense, shield rating, absorption, and accuracy are useless stats for sage consulars and should be avoided.

As this guide DOES state, crit, surge, power and alacrity are useful secondary stats for sage consulars, and their relative value is dependent on spec and how much you have of each. Defense, shield rating, absorption, and accuracy are useless stats for sage consulars and should be avoided.

Which would be another area the guide is wrong in if true lol. Power is the best secondary stat hands down. Crit/Surge/Alacrity all have optimal values regardless of your spec due to pigeon-holed itemization. There's a BIS discussion weighing those exact values over at Sithwarrior and they have it pretty much pegged down.

Honestly I haven't read the main guide in months other than give it a glance over and see if a few rediculous flaws are still there. I would recommend most people take it with a grain of salt for right now. There's some good info in there, but it's unfortunately interwoven between potential landmines of bad/dated info. Mostly I just come in here to set the record straight for confused people.

Edited by Khadroth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...