The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech dps help wanted.

hi I am building a powertech and was wanting some helpful ideas for energy efficiency and heat management as well as a decent spec to facilitate that also. And if you can provide helpful tips or such for playing a dps powertech with a focus towards keeping heat down and keeping damage up please feel free to add those as well.

I use http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZ0cZfhMbdGGMs.1

This is my way..others may do different

Incendiary missile > railshot > thermal det > rocket punch > railshot(if proc'd, flameburst till proc if not after RP)> rapid shots

To maximize your burst the goal is to line the detonation of thermal detonator and your second railshot together at the same time. Once you proc that second railshot and use it, you have 4.5 seconds until its possible to proc your railshot again. Try to lean more towards rocket punch to activate the proc than flameburst. It is not recommended to use flameburst during the cool down of the Prototype Particle Accelerator unless you are trying to burn a healer. Weaving in rapidshots with flameburst while PPA is on cd will keep you cool. Always try to use Incendiary missile to start your dots after your first full rotation. Using flameburst instead may proc PPA prematurely wasting an opportunity to line up your thermal det and second railshot again. Thats the gist of it.

Use your taunts any chance you get. Keep your carbonize ready for cc.

Edited by Razacc

hi I am building a powertech and was wanting some helpful ideas for energy efficiency and heat management as well as a decent spec to facilitate that also. And if you can provide helpful tips or such for playing a dps powertech with a focus towards keeping heat down and keeping damage up please feel free to add those as well.

I'm assuming you mean pyro for DPS so if that is not the case ignore this post!

First off if you expect to do the kind of damage people on these forums say a powertech does that will only happen in PvP once you are 50 in full Augmented War Hero and are fighting against guys in mid 40's greens with 0 expertise.

As for rotation, it depends on your spec and the skills you have. I'm not sure what level you are but you basically want to:

get them on fire (Incendiary Missle or Flame burst to proc combustible gas cylinders but that has a 6 sec cooldown and can be unreliable) > railshot > Rocket punch to reset railshot > if Rocket punch is on CD then Flame Burst to reset railshot > railshot. Then you have the whole Thermal Detonator or Explosive dart depending on how you spec. There is some debate about when and how to use those, but remember that they both sit on the target for around 4 seconds then explode and the Explosive Dart does AE damage and TD does more damage to a single target.

A lot of people start with IM or TD but I prefer not to, at least in PvP. I prefer to start with IM > Railshot > RP > Railshot > then TD. I find if I throw on the TD first I get a bigger burst, if I wait they blow their defensive CD on my original burst then I throw on the TD and usually have to work in a free attack or two, then TD explodes, I FB or RP reset Railshot > railshot and that usually is the way I burst them down in PvP.

As far as heat management you have one choice, gimp your DPS. So you are going to need to throw in free attacks, this is a point people miss when yelling nerf powertechs that we can't keep up the burst dps for long at all. Keep in mind that once a railshot is reset it can't be reset in the next six seconds so that is a good time to weave in some free attacks if you are high in heat instead of spending the heat to spam flame burst when it can't reset rail shot anyway. The lower you keep your heat the quicker it will go down.

So far I am leaning towards advance prototype as it just seems more melee than pyro and I never pvp. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMMRrfkdsZb.1 is kinda the spec type I am looking into going in but bounty hunter in general is new to me and I need some help with the finer points.

Also I need some confirmations on heat management if anyone can help with that.

So far I am leaning towards advance prototype as it just seems more melee than pyro and I never pvp. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMMRrfkdsZb.1 is kinda the spec type I am looking into going in but bounty hunter in general is new to me and I need some help with the finer points.

Pyro's equally viable in PVE, if not more. In any case, your AP build is good. I would just move the points from Stabilized Armor and Hamstring elsewhere. They're more helpful for PVP than anything I can recall in PVE. Also, are you level 50 already or still leveling up?

Edit:

Also I need some confirmations on heat management if anyone can help with that.

Also here's a great AP guide which also covers heat management: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=404703

Edited by UCKFred