The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Assault Build

Would someone be so kind to post a link to "The Quentessential" assault build? I've been running Iron Fist for a long time and thought I would try mixing it up a bit. Also, I'm in full WH combat tech gear. Can I see the difference in damage or would I need to at least pick up the BM enforcer 4 piece set?

I just respecced from Iron Fist a few days ago and I've been trying out this 4/6/31 build. It's been fun but it's a very different feel from Iron Fist. DPS gain has been very significant.

I'm in full augmented BM Combat Tech and I'm about to begin swapping over to WH Comat Tech. I really don't feel like grinding out Eliminator gear but I would like to hear what others have to say.

Edited by JAYFB

I just respecced from Iron Fist a few days ago and I've been trying out this 4/6/31 build. It's been fun but it's a very different feel from Iron Fist. DPS gain has been very significant.

I'm in full augmented BM Combat Tech and I'm about to begin swapping over to WH Comat Tech. I really don't feel like grinding out Eliminator gear but I would like to hear what others have to say.

About the spec: Reflexive Shield > Nightvision Scope.

Go ahead and grind the eliminator, you will want the 15% crit rate increase on your 105% crit damage HIB.

The spec posted above is the most common one used. If you're trying the spec out then stick with the Combat Tech gear. If you like the spec, start grinding for the Eliminator set. 4 piece bonus is good. Just remember, you are a dps spec now, forget about the defensive cd's CT set gives you, your focus is damage output. You should be firing off HiB more than SS with AS, hence Eliminator > CT.

You will see an increase of 1.5 to 2 times more damage than what you do with IF. If you have a tank that guards you and a pocket healer you will expect to see more to the higher numbers. I know when my healer isn't being focused, you guys are next on my guard list, next to gunslingers.

Edit: oops didn't notice the nightvision scope. Reflexive shield is better.

Edited by ATango

Thanks for the input guys. I don't mind grinding out gear because I really don't have anything else to spend my coms on. I was just wondering what kind of damage it puts out. In a full VS, I average any where from 350k to 425k in Iron Fist. However, with this damage, I'm also able to take a hit and guard the doors. I guess there is always a trade off that we all must consider.

This is the base spec, with a few points of flexibility:

You can swap out Nightvision Scopes for Degauss or Parallactic Combat Stims, depending on personal preference. I like the stealth bonus (allows you to spot stealthers about 5m further away), and 2% defense is a nice defensive boost against Warriors/Snipers.

You can choose to swap out Adrenaline Fueled for a third point in Burnout and Rain of Fire if you want more DPS. I like Adrenaline Fueled because reserve powercell is essentially a free Incendiary Round, and you get it every minute or less. Adrenaline Rush is also a highly underrated heal in my book. It's basically half of a warzone medpac. Having ultra-short cooldowns on Adrenaline and Reactive Shield allow you to have high defenses (for a short period) when you need them.

The two leftover points can go in lots of different places. For DPS, put them in Intimidation. I personally put them in Tactical Tools, because the amount of positioning control you get from Harpoon is incredibly important to me. You could also grab Static Field for a nice defensive and support boost. 4% reduced damage is pretty strong, and you can use that to help protect your teammates.

Edited by Philosomanic

Thanks for the input guys. I don't mind grinding out gear because I really don't have anything else to spend my coms on. I was just wondering what kind of damage it puts out. In a full VS, I average any where from 350k to 425k in Iron Fist. However, with this damage, I'm also able to take a hit and guard the doors. I guess there is always a trade off that we all must consider.

If you are getting those numbers with IF, I shudder to think what you'll get with Assault. I saw a very big jump in DPS from Tactics to Assault. Some of that was from experience and gear, but I have no doubt the Assault tree was a major contributing factor.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZ0MZfhrbzGGMs.1

I'd say that's your core build, from which you add 6 points to the Shield or Tactics trees. My personal debate is whether it's better to load up on Aim in Shield or to load up on Elemental-IP damage/crit in Tactics.

Higher Aim gets you slightly bigger hits on HIB. Higher crit rate on tech and fire gives you better chance to repeat-crit on everything else (AP, IP, DoTs...). I run the 4/6/31 variety, but others like the 7/3/31 spec better.

Edited by Hethroin

Visz,

Note: The numbers that I posted are for the long VS matches. In essence, I guard the doors and end up with that kind of damage. I really don't focus on damage while running IF, but I end up posting up fairly good numbers while playing the game. I've also got a good guild backing me so I tend to get heals and survive most of the time. That also effects my damage. For instance, last night I had a VS match where I ended up with around 360k. However, there were a couple of BHs that had at least 100k higher than me. Personally, I probably wouldn't stay Assault unless I seen some really impressive damage. It would have to be around 500k in the same warzone to make me wanna swich it out. I figure that it may be worth the effort.

Thanks,

Visz,

Note: The numbers that I posted are for the long VS matches. In essence, I guard the doors and end up with that kind of damage. I really don't focus on damage while running IF, but I end up posting up fairly good numbers while playing the game. I've also got a good guild backing me so I tend to get heals and survive most of the time. That also effects my damage. For instance, last night I had a VS match where I ended up with around 360k. However, there were a couple of BHs that had at least 100k higher than me. Personally, I probably wouldn't stay Assault unless I seen some really impressive damage. It would have to be around 500k in the same warzone to make me wanna swich it out. I figure that it may be worth the effort.

Thanks,

I think you can give far more credit to your guild and their support of your toon than any one spec can be pointed to. In other words, it sounds like even a bad spec would pull off similar numbers if you get 300-400K with IF defending a door. that's not a slam, that's a complement that you and your team are able to make even an average spec do so well. ;)

I love the style of play that Shield spec provided, but with the upcoming nerfs, and the lack of a healer friend to queue with all the time I switched to Assault and am loving it. I miss storm, especially when knocked off platforms in the Pit, but man my damage output more than makes up for it.

I went 8/8/25 for 9% bonus to Aim and 10 sec cooldown reduction on harpoon since that's my only gap closer without storm.

Yeah grinding the Eliminator set was a pain, but now that I have 4pc wow that 15% crit makes a huge difference, especially when you get lucky with free HiBs.

Enjoy setting players on fire! :D

Link to my build - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMs0MZfhrrzhhM.1

I put 2 pts in Degauss but you can put those in Nightvision scope or Recharge.

Edited by PakaOno

• 3 weeks later...
I enjoyed iron fist more in pvp and seemed to win more matches running it, but assault spec is pretty stupid damage output. Your utility is gone, but you probably have the highest dps in the game.

You haven't seen a sent/warrior if you think Assault is probably the highest DPS. It's the best we can do though. We aren't lacking on utility either. Harpoon, Neural Surge, Cryo Gnade, AOE and single taunts, heck we even have a chance for snares in Hammer strike, which is great for slowing down speedy jedi that try to run away.