Build Opinions

TheMB

Okay so I've been working around on making some builds for the Commando (lol what? Commando? lol) and seeing if I can get a good build going but here's what I have got.

Test Build

This build, for me, is optimized for a little more survivability and just a tiny bit less DPS. At this moment I'm sacrificing the "Reserve Round" talent (Which I might change VERY soon for ammo management purposes). for point distribution into other talents. I picked the "Advanced Tech" & "Heavy Trooper" talents for the healing bonuses they provide and the also for the Endurance too.

*On a side note* I know the "Heavy Trooper" talent is getting a nerf in 1.3 (Which I find insulting because Commandos [DPS spec'd] are already cannon fodder and gib material but the healing bonus from this would help a lot of Commandos survive more. My two cents) but I find it useful for self healing.

I'm still working on this build for "Gunnery" Commandos to make they more useable in PvP. If you think you have a better idea on how this build should be, or if you have a build yourself, please post your opinions and any info in the comments below.

Edited by TheMB

*Updated build because I just tested the last build I had and it was garbage so now working on a "Gunnery" Build.

Please post any opinion you may have about it. All criticism will be accepted.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure giving up ironsights for soldier's endurance is worth it. 2% increase in endurance amounts to what? 40hp? for a loss of both dmg and crit? I personally went deeper into medic tree to pick quick thinking and field medicine. I will self-heal during 1v1. And I can now kill things 1v1 where I couldn't before lol.

Honestly, I've decided to go insane and am not taking any endurance talents at all, including no charged barrier. In the end it gave me a little bit better ability to heal self and teammates with no appreciable loss in survivability. It's weird and a bit counterintuitive I guess, but I'm honestly living longer and doing more healing. Got a 300k dmg/75k heal with this spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfzZMIk0RrdRkfz.1

EDIT: Some of what I just said goes out the window if you're regularly rolling with a healer (premade or whatever). In which case I think the healing received talents have a LOT of value, but not necessarily the endurance ones. I think the healing received bonuses are worthwhile, but the flat increase on endurance with SOlder's endurance seems very blah to me, especially at the cost of ironsights.

My fiddling with being a better offhealer is predicated on the fact that I am not reliably in WZs with healing support. My guild is PVE and often as not, my PUGs are lucky to have 1 healer in recruit gear.

Edited by SafeJungleFever

I'm still working on this build for "Gunnery" Commandos to make they more useable in PvP. If you think you have a better idea on how this build should be, or if you have a build yourself, please post your opinions and any info in the comments below.

I am just not sure this is possible, hybrid builds require you give up Demolition Round which just isn't practical from a PVP standpoint.

You have to give up too much, but if I was going to abuse myself by running Gunnery in PVP right now this is how I'd do it.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZMIkrRrdRzczZccb.1

Accept that you will be interrupted, knocked down, stunned, etc. Maximize your hps and get on Vent so you can notify a healer/tank that you need assistance. The biggest issue here is that there are talents for everything Gunnery needs, but they are buried too deep in other trees and all the best abilities for Gunnery are in Tiers 5,6,7 which greatly limits your ability to hybridize.

If you want to play a fun Hybrid build, try this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dcMRRzfbkZMMZbIr0z.1

This is a defensive/kiting build. They key here is using your instant abilities to do damage and heal, those being Kolto Bomb, Trama Probe, and Field Aid while spamming Hammer Shot and using HiB when available with the occasional Incendiary Round to add a second DoT. If you have to focus heal, then pop your adrenal and Reactive Shield and do a controlled ammo burn for big heals. 1v1 this should beat almost any DPS class who isn't a Smuggler or Hybrid Sage.

I have had a lot of fun with this, just be aware that as a group healer it is not very good because the healing interface for this game sucks. If they ever get Click to Heal in the game, then this becomes much better.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure giving up ironsights for soldier's endurance is worth it. 2% increase in endurance amounts to what? 40hp? for a loss of both dmg and crit? I personally went deeper into medic tree to pick quick thinking and field medicine. I will self-heal during 1v1. And I can now kill things 1v1 where I couldn't before lol.

Honestly, I've decided to go insane and am not taking any endurance talents at all, including no charged barrier. In the end it gave me a little bit better ability to heal self and teammates with no appreciable loss in survivability. It's weird and a bit counterintuitive I guess, but I'm honestly living longer and doing more healing. Got a 300k dmg/75k heal with this spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfzZMIk0RrdRkfz.1

EDIT: Some of what I just said goes out the window if you're regularly rolling with a healer (premade or whatever). In which case I think the healing received talents have a LOT of value, but not necessarily the endurance ones. I think the healing received bonuses are worthwhile, but the flat increase on endurance with SOlder's endurance seems very blah to me, especially at the cost of ironsights.

My fiddling with being a better offhealer is predicated on the fact that I am not reliably in WZs with healing support. My guild is PVE and often as not, my PUGs are lucky to have 1 healer in recruit gear.

Sorry to hear about finding a healer, and yes on my server, even in a PuG match, there is always a healer. The healing received bonuses from the two talents in the gunnery do give me more avid survivability when fighting in groups or in 1v1 situations where I have to heal myself and wait for backup. The Endurance talents, I'm still experimenting on, Ill probably switch around points to up my Damage more in future builds. Thanks for the info by the way

Also for that build you posted I'm not sure I would waste 3 points going into "Target Lock" if you're going Gunnery spec'd. Most attacks from this tree are already tech and (In my opinion) I would put them into the "Field Training" talent in the CM tree for the extra crit chance, since the Gunnery tree lacks any crit bonus chance compared to the "Assault" tree, but then again this all "My opinion".