Commando with a rifle?

Alconos

Just a curious question of mine, do any of you think it would be even remotely possible to roll a commando with a rifle? And if possible, please state how you would go about doing it/what role or whatever.

The short answer is 'yes you can but there are no advantages to doing so, only disadvantages'. Specifically, the base damage is lower, and you can't use the charged bolts or hail of bolts abilities, both of which require an assault cannon.

That said, if your heart's really set on using a blaster rifle, there's nothing to literally say you can't. I use one myself for personal preference, and it doesn't utterly cripple my ability to do anything, though I naturally switch it out for a cannon whenever I'm doing something that involves other people. How much this will affect you will depend on your spec. As a medic, you're at no disadvantage that I can see in any situation where you're healing. As gunnery - which is what I'm using - your damage will be lower, but grav round for all intents and purposes replaces charged bolts and doesn't require a cannon equipped. As assault, your damage will suffer considerably.

Like I said, you can if you really want to. It's not impossible. It's just impractical.