RP servers

MouseNoFour

Something ive always wondered about RP (role playing) servers.

A server can be marked as being RP, but it is actually no different than a PVE server except how players view the general idea of it. It is effectively where you go if you wish to role play your character.

However, in the history of MMO's - ive not heard of a single MMO where character names are enforced. Sure, not enforced by the server administrators of course - but not even by the players themselves.

If i create a Sith character on a RP server, with the name Jedikilla - i can level 1-50, complete every single hard mode operation and play for years without any repercussions regarding the name i chose.

Why do MMO's in general - not just this one - have no intention of enforcing real character names that makes sense for the fictional world/universe they are created in. Jedikilla as my example, would just not fit as its not a real name.

And no this is not a QQ regarding someone with a name similar to the one i came up with, just a curiosity as to the reasons behind the designation of RP for server type.

Well the whole naming area can be quite dependant on if anyone reports you really. A member of my guild on an RP server was reported for having the name Heidrich, and was told by a Dev that he would have to change it as he was using the name of a Nazi and that it violated the rules. He protested this and was allowed to keep after he provided a number of examples of real life people with that surname that had no connection to the Nazi party. Although this had nothing to do with it being an RP server and was based on a moral situation it's an example of where being reported can result in a dev informing the player they will have to change their names. On RP servers there is an increased likelihood of this happening if you name your character Ob1-Wan than say a PvP server or PvE so that people who prefer to RP don't have their immersion spoiled. Does that make sense?

Just do a search for 1-10 and count how many players with names that do not fit. Then do a search for 50 and the same thing applies. I guarantee you will find people with names that should not be allowed on an RP server.

Just for an example, im on an RP right now and performed a search for 50 - sure enough i found a slew of players with names that would normally violate RP name rules. And this is not even close to prime time by the way.

Nonamenoob 50 Sentinel

Dogsofwar 50 Commando

Lightsideoflife 50 Sentinel

They reached 50 despite having names that break naming rules.

Just do a search for 1-10 and count how many players with names that do not fit. Then do a search for 50 and the same thing applies. I guarantee you will find people with names that should not be allowed on an RP server.

Just for an example, im on an RP right now and performed a search for 50 - sure enough i found a slew of players with names that would normally violate RP name rules. And this is not even close to prime time by the way.

Nonamenoob 50 Sentinel

Dogsofwar 50 Commando

Lightsideoflife 50 Sentinel

They reached 50 despite having names that break naming rules.

That would depend on if people actually reported them. If they are against the Naming Policy they can be reported. Argumentably you can argue some of those names against the TOS should not be able to even go through but unfortunely I have seen where they have come up with ways to get them througth The burden of names actually falls to the players to report them and most won''t.

I have seen names that were against the TOS and have heard some of them being reported and they have had to change them.

Player names have nothing to do with actual RP names. For instance, you don't walk into a cantina and everyone knows your IC name.

Edit:This of course has nothing to do with the TOS.

Edited by StewyG

Player names have nothing to do with actual RP names. For instance, you don't walk into a cantina and everyone knows your IC name.

Edit:This of course has nothing to do with the TOS.

Typically, I am good w/ non-rp names. So long as they make sense.

I have a bad twitch finger to report names I feel are out of place though.